Another shot at making a relic...

Guest AlexVDL

Alex:

I am currently experimenting with a combination of razor checking & freezing to relic poly bodies (Scott...I am doing this to see if I can work on the body we discussed)

Also, regarding the hardware do you need the tutorial that I have sent to a few perople on how to age hardware?

If Brian would like it, I will send it to him as well to post as a tutorial

Let me know..I am happy to help!

Dave

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian, you do suck too, man. If I'd pay the good amount, I know I'd be inside of da house too though... now, that's not gonna happen. That's all about you all, poor boys.

dude...you're going about this all wrong. Come on--is it really that important to get across that you don't like relics? Be a sport and don't comment about it anymore. You broke a rule so just serve the 7 days and you're back on. Don't make matters worse. Everyone can agree that each person (including you) brings knowledge to this forum. We all want that. What we don't want is bad juju, and right now you've caused a little bit. Dont' make me turn into a hippie by sayin this...but can't we please all get along :D

Hey, Thanks for the great ideas!!! B)

I've been absent since I went back to work :D I put in my 8 and come home and do my repair work for 8 more and miss my 8 I was putting on here when I was laid up. I have managed 6 guitar repairs and 3 paint jobs in the last 3 weeks though!

AnyHoooooo.....

I have a Peavey Fury I bought from a dealer that was rented for two weeks and looks like it got dropped out of the guys car and run over. I like it because I don't have to worry about it getting any more scratches, but it's in that "middlin" stage. Not quite shiny and purdy and not quite beat up enough. I WAS going to make it shiny and purdy again - but not now!

It's relic material.

:D

Oh well...on to the subject...

I'm thinking of trying that Kiwi shoe polish thing Butnut showed a while ago

I thought the tea staining thing was a good idea 'cuz it was 100% coverage and permanent, you can use shoe polish to cover everything and it will actually permanently stain?

I'm having a hard time imagining shoe polish getting into all the nooks and crannies on the knobs.

Just wondering aloud...believe me, I haven't a clue besides what I've read others have done. I can see it working on the neck for wear marks, but having a hard time imagining it on the knobs and such...

SHEEEEEEEEETT! i missed all the excitement

cool relic alex, i don't like it as much as the last, but love the idea of doing it to a white strat......

people, stuff happens and you've got to deal with stuff

doing stuff only makes stuff.....and stuff......or sumthin

HAAAAAAAHHHHHAAHAHAHA!!! sorry, morning+strat bashing= temporary insanity

I use Radio Shacks Ferrous Chloride to age metal. On unplated screws, it turns to rusty **** in seconds...with finesse, chrome looks dull and old. Gotta use gloves, this stuff is nasty. Just drop pickguard screws in a few seconds and it's tarnished, dull, half peeling...perfect!

Funky metal

With the Kiwi (see my other post) it works well on plastic. You'll need to wipe with alcohol or lacquer thinner/water to remove all polish or mold release if parts are new. It will stain, but seems to get light on heavily used parts (like my bridge Strat pup where I rest my fingers) but I just reapply, seems to stain better 2nd or 3rd time.

I will try to shoot nitro over my poly Tele and do the finsh check using hot/cold and post some pics.

It was very uncool of that guy to dis the way he did, one day he'll grow up. Not everyone likes relics and I totally agree, it takes just as long to get a good relic look as a perfect finish...I do both and both are fun and I really get into it. :D

Brian, you do suck too, man. If I'd pay the good amount, I know I'd be inside of da house too though... now, that's not gonna happen. That's all about you all, poor boys.

That account and post was deleted and his regular account is now suspended for 30 days, if it happens again he's gone for good.............

Sorry to hijack the thread but it needed to be said, btw cool stuff on making relics :D

hello everyone

forrest gump once said: "Stupid is as stupid does." now what you said roli, was pretty stupid.

what have you done to that poor guitar alex? :D

Page.

Like I said Alex, if you want to I'll hook you up with the KIWI stuff...gonna take a few days though for buying and shipping to the netherlands but I'd certainly help you out...PM me if you want to work out details

so long

ace

oh man, i missed out on all the action, like third eye.

Alex, I reliced a strat with a white poly finish........eugh...that stuff is hard. You've done an awesome job though.

And roli... grow up. I am 14 and I would never think of saying anything like that about someone's work, EVER. Even if you do not like relic guitars, I suggest you look at some of Alex's other work. Alex makes top notch instruments and this one is no exception.

I am not a fan of swirl finishes, but if somebody post's a swirled guitar on the forum, I appreciate the work they have put into it and I let them know that. I am too mature and grown-up to register my *hate* throughout the internet as I know it will obviosly provoke a lot of angry posts.

Just something to think about...

Aaron

*I do not actually hate swirl finishes, there are simply other finishes that I prefer. I used the word hate because I thought it was fitting, due to the nature of the preceding paragraphs.*

Anyone tried Caustic Soda for relicing?

My old next door neighbour used to make (ahem) antique furniture :D .

He used to age wood by putting some of this rather nasty drain cleaner over it.

Might work for scratchplate, might not. Guarenteed to mess up the paint though. Might be worth a try on some scrap wood.