Another shot at making a relic...

Guest AlexVDL

Hey Ace. I used a lacquer 'toner' spray...very much like RR neck amber. It's yellowish and I used a medium brown toner over that to darken up the yellow. Shot nitro and used my Xacto to scrape off the 'fret wear', using a light and medium wood 'touch up pen, I darkened the scraped areas. All hardware was aged using ferous chloride.

Canuk, a lot of Tele players like the 'suicide' switch....makes it easy to do volume swells with your pinky. All original Esquires and RI Tele's come wired with the 3 way...the positions are tone pot in, tone pot out, and a 'bass' setting through a resistor...slight differences in tone. I was gonna make a 2 knob plate, but I kinda like the 3way now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would it be possible to get in one post a summary of relicing techniques?

Aging the body - do you drop keys, scrape with scissors, chip with screwdrivers, rub on nuts and bolts, sand, if so what grit where when? do you use steel wool? what for what does it do? do you start with the finished guitar body,

Checking - do you use a heat gun (blow dryer ) and canned air or dry ice and a blow torch, when would you perform the checking - after or before all other body nicks/dings were made?

Plastic parts - how do you apply the coffee ? rag? do you buff the plastic first, or use napthala, and what about knobs - same procedure?

Metal - with nickel you use HCl or etching from Radio Shack, how do you apply it, submerge or use vapors. . . .

Neck - how to get finger marks on a mape fretboard - do you sand, stain and buff or something else - what about cigarrette burns on the headstock? how do you get these?

I am very new to this and there is very little information out on relicing so any help wopuld be appreciated . . .

thanks

rex

i know none of the answers, but have a cool mini tutorial for this one...

what about cigarrette burns on the headstock? how do you get these?

1...grab a cigarette

2...light

3...smoke

4...stub out on headstock

:D

i could`nt help but notice that the control plates on both the teles on this page are in opposite directions.

is the esquire done differently?

hey butnut, isn't that control plate upside down? and what do you need a pickup switcher for in an esquire?... 

Canuk, a lot of Tele players like the 'suicide' switch....makes it easy to do volume swells with your pinky. All original Esquires and RI Tele's come wired with the 3 way...the positions are tone pot in, tone pot out, and a 'bass' setting through a resistor...slight differences in tone. I was gonna make a 2 knob plate, but I kinda like the 3way now.

:D

No one here has mentioned how Fender first started relic'ing guitars. From what I understand it was Keith Richards that told Fender he didn't like new guitars. Fender relic'ed a couple of guitars for him and he loved them.

The appeal of reliced guitars for me is first, like someone else mentioned, you don't worry about scratching it. You are more comfortable to let loose and laugh about it when you do bash it by accident. Second I think it is because they look loved. Why would anyone play a guitar that much that it is all worn? Because it was and still is a great axe that just feels right no matter how it looks.

Personally I try to take very good care of my guitars and keep them from getting scratched up, but I know that my favorite guitar that I put together and tweaked out myself will be with me for a long time. I am looking forward to the day that it is all beat up from ordinary use. Each scratch and ding will be a memory.