Guitar Of The Month For August

Guitar of the Month for August  

107 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Scottyd: first off, wow! That’s an awesome looking finish on a super awesome looking top! I love deep set necks on basses. I’ve always thought they looked cool. This one is a step up for your entry from last month and the entry from last month was great! I really like the maple board, it sets off the red tones on the cocobolo top. The matching covers really look nice too. I notice that you clear coat the tops but leave the back oil finished. If that’s not a cleared top then it’s the shiniest polish I’ve ever seen. I’d like to see the whole bass with that sheen to it.

Canuck Brian: We had a lot of interesting Padauk builds this month. The maple board looks nice but I’m lost on the inlay. Is it Corian like the nut? The zebra top was nice. I’ve used the same wood combos in the past so I’m sure it’s a nice sounding guitar. I also liked the real mounted Strat style jack. I just question the comfort for the player in regards to placement.

Zyonsdream: As much as I like this guitar, I would have used a difference center piece for the while limba. It has a bit of color on it that blends with the stringer and it makes the stringer on the back look wonky. Other than that, I was happy with the build.

Djhollowman: This was a strong month and I was thinking the same thing as you, “what am I doing” as I saw more of the entries for the month. I really dig this guitar. The finish is nice and all of the lines are exceptionally clean. I even like the headstock. The only thing that I didn’t care for was the strip going up the back of the neck. It seemed too wide for me but this is just personal taste.

RFR: this was an exceptional build. The quilted maple binding!!! WoW, I really liked it. The fact that it’sa 12 string limits some of the charm for me but I don’t play 12 string guitars. The finish was great but ultimpately I just didn’t care for the horms.

Eveguitars: I bet this guitar would win a weight contest this month! That’s a lot of rosewood. The neck looks like it outshies the body in grain but we really didn’t get any clear shots of the whole guitar to see. I like how it has that ESP look to it. A bit pointy but still curved. I’d be interested in hearing how the choice of woods works with passive pickups.

Pukko: This guitar is flat out great. I love the top the design and the execution. The only thing I didn’t care for was the custom rings. They just seemed to builky for me. The attention to detail was excellent on this build. I’d play this one.

Jjucius: The 3rd Padauk build for the month and the second tele. I like the semi-hollow with the traditional F hole but the pictures were way to blurry for me to really like the guitar. Competition is tough so it’s important to offer up the best shots you can.

Tough month as always. I’m casting a null this month!

scottyd - we keep getting a better bass from you each month. i really like last months and voted for it i think.. but this one looks even better. The only thing i dont like is that the back is a bit anemic next to the richness of the other woods you have used - although - its still a very nice piece of wood!!

cunuck brian - i like the paduak neck a lot but the scarf could be a little neater on the volute.. i like the inlay too.. reckon we need a closeup of that

Zyonsdream - again, really liking all the paduak this month... there must have been some orange guitar builders about!! the neck looks stunning. the amount of shadow coming from the back plates makes me think they should have been recessed and that one strip of wood with the sapwood on the back really distracts from a very strong design. Over all i really like it, it looks like it would feel great and something about the red pickups really appeals.

djhollowman - there are a few guitars this month that wouldnt look out of place in a shop and this is definately one of them. i like the subtle changes you have made to the design and i really like the colour... and i like the laminated neck - thats how i like to do mine. i could take or leave the headstock - certainly no deal breaker though

RFR - another strong design that wouldnt look out of place in a shop... but would probably be the first thing i went to in that shop, that colour and shape would draw me straight in!!! i like the longer scale for a 12 string... no criticism really other than the fact i would prefer a 6!!

Eveguitars - i am not really a fan of these sort of shapes but this is a nicer example. i would prefer it if the grain in the body matched better. other than that the finish looks really tactile, the contours look good and the headstock looks absolutely stunning... nice design there :D

Pukko - i think i criticised this for the larger pickup rings before.... i am willing to take that all back - this thing has really grown on me. I love the finish, i love the tight and quite even flame, love the wenge neck, love all the tiny little details. i would like to see it with a more classic looking bridge - the hardtail doesnt really suit the styling.... but i did vote for it because i want it! with the scratchplate!!!!!

Jjucius - i couldnt tell much about the guitar from the photos - looks like there might be a stunning flamed maple neck hiding round the back. I like the overall look a lot but the neck pocket looks like it has some significant gaps and you should really string the guitar so we can see it finished and working (or at least imply thats the case). cant really tell whats going on with the top either - the two pieces look very different.. 2/3rds really stunning paduak 1/3rd a bit dull in comparison and what looks like a replaced section between the two pickups. i do really like the look of the paduak and gold hardware though - definately onto something there

SCOTTYD: Unlike others, I don't care for the long neck joints on a bass. The rest of it looks fantastic, though. I particularly like the cavity cover. I can't explain exactly what about it I like, but I think it's really neat.

CANUK BRIAN: This one isn't doing anything for me. There are a lot of little things which individually wouldn't be an issue, but collectively aren't appealing to me.

ZYONSDREAM: I REALLY want to like this one. My initial looks were "Yea! That's pretty cool." Then I took some more looks at it. The stringers don't match up well with the top, nor does the f/b. From behind, the stringers DO work well with the limba, but not the neck. The pups really reach out and grab you, but they're a competing tone (color) with the paduk. Then there's the raised back plates. Sorry!

DJHOLLOWMAN: I'm not a big fan of 7-strings. That being said, I absolutely LOVE this one. It's so clean, crisp, sleek, and simple... Clip off one string and put in some fret markers and it'd be perfect.

RFR: Another nice ax. Like DJ's, it's clean. Where his went minimalist, you went classic. Both are very nice. I always have to question the usefulness of an electric 12-string. IIRC, the Byrds are the only ones that really used one very much.

EVEGUITARS: I don't like the shape of this one. It's REALLY pretty, but there are too many points on it. For my taste, it needs to be either pointy or rounded, not both. Again, the wood and hardware combos look great.

PUKKO: Your attention to detail won me over this month. I was really torn between yours & DJs, but all the little details you put into it won me over. EG: wenge jack plate, matching pattern on the f/b & control cavity cover, binding on the TRC & selector switch, etc. The trebel body horn does ZERO for me, but all the rest makes up the difference.

JJUCIUS: I like this tele a lot. The neck pup ring is striking. Gold hardware looks much better than black on a red-toned wood. I'd like to see some binding around the top, but that'd force you to paint the sides & back. A nice clean guitar.

I just have to say,all the entries are great.

I voted for Eve ,because it is flawless...the lines and shapes just flow,and not to be harsh on any one ,it is different.To me this is the deal breaker.I just love the one who goes outside the bounds.Having said that ,I would love to own any of the entries this month.Great builds people.

Agreed, truly an amazing month this one. Each and every build looks solid and well done. I ended up going with Pukkos build because I really liked it the minute I saw the initial thread when it had only just begun. Even long before it had a finish or any of the really cool features I liked it, then when all those little details were added, it just went above and beyond in my eyes, truly a gorgeous instrument with a well developed yet unique style to it. All the entries were extremely appealing though and I doubt I could even pick a top three, I think they all are right there together, just epic builds. Congrats to all you guys with guitars this month! I think probably each and every one could be Guitar of the Month. Very well done. J

My vote went to RFR on the basis of it being the guitar that I'd most likely part with money to own. The shape is just a classic, the workmanship and materials look amazing, I love the look of the shaped top and a 12 string LP DC design intrigues me!

My #2 was pukko's Luciferi Airytone. Didn't quite make it to #1 for me because the design didn't appeal to me quite as much. However, some of workmanship touches are stunning - IMHO - and give me more ideas of what I could aspire to. The fretboard inlay, repeated on the control cavity cover, the truss rod cover, and the back of headstock shaping are all real wows for me, and demonstrate attention to detail that is just stunning.

My vote went to RFR on the basis of it being the guitar that I'd most likely part with money to own. The shape is just a classic, the workmanship and materials look amazing, I love the look of the shaped top and a 12 string LP DC design intrigues me!

Thank you, sir.

Roman