Guitar Of The Month For September

The Project Guitar.com "Guitar of the Month" contest is a showcase for all the members, so show us your axe in this thread!

This contest is open to any and all members that enter and will be continued each month for a place showing your creation on the homepage!

The winner(s) of course will have his/her guitar featured on the homepage of Project Guitar.com and if you have a website the picture will link directly to it if you so choose (even commercial site's).

If your a forum member you will also be upgraded to a Featured member which allows you to see the Advanced Chat section and download area.

So show us your creation in this thread! You've got till sometime around the 24th of August then this thread gets locked and the voting starts!

Any Post that is not an entry will be deleted, feel free to start a new thread to discuss any guitar entered this month

There may be more then one poll to determine winners in different catagorys at the end of this contest!

Please post a maximum of your 4 best pictures per guitar entered

Make sure Your Guitar has a Name or Nick Name as well otherwise one will be given to it :D

Side note, if you are unable to post a picture you can e-mail one to Brian and it will be posted for you, or ask forum members how to post pictures, they are very helpful.

Well, I guess I'll just give this a shot for once...

My entry is a semi-hollow body firebird with a curly cherry top and poplar back. The neck is zebrawood with a firebird inlay on the 12th fret. This was just a project I did for fun in about a 2 week span when I had a broken arm. I cant really think of a nickname for it unfortunately :D.

DSCN0464.jpg

DSCN0470.jpg

DSCN0463.jpg

DSCN0460.jpg

I'll call this one Canary Crazy

Redeemer dc shape

bolt on neck

34" scale

fretted 24 (not not counting the zero)

3 laminate body: Quilted canary wood top, black walnut core, mahogany bottom

Five laminate neck: Black walnut, curly maple, paduak

single truss, heel access

Rosewood finger board

Dunlop fret wire

white side markers

matching headstock top and bottom

Wilkinson tuners

Piezo bridge

Redeemer Music Man style humbucker

Audere Classic four band preamp with built in Piezo buffer

Canary and walnut knobs

matching pup and cavity covers

Jatoba nut

Jim Dunlap strap locks

Pictures!

Picture008-4.jpg

Picture019-1.jpg

Picture001-5.jpg

Picture018-4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/sco...icture017-4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/sco...icture015-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/sco...icture014-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/sco...icture013-5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/sco...icture005-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/sco...icture003-5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/sco...icture016-3.jpg

Heres a short clip. Like all of my clips they are recorded straight from the interface with no EQ or effects and the Audere set flat. That way you get the raw tone of the bass. The clip starts out on the DCs single Redeemer humbucker and at 29 seconds in goes to the bridge piezo, the part at the end is me fooling around with the piezo

http://redeemerbasses.com/downloads/Mixdown%20(2).mp3

Edited by scottyd

I'm pretty proud of this little sucker. This was the second guitar that I started and the first one that I finished. (The other should finally be completed in the next couple of weeks)

The story behind this is that it's a gift for my god-son. It's a 2/3 scale guitar. It's 1.25" thick with a 17" scale length and a 26" overall length. You can get an idea of its size in the picture with it next to a normal sized (25.5" scale) guitar neck. Obviously, it's only got 4 strings instead of 6. It's the perfect size for a child's hands. :D

The tuning of the guitar is like that of a tenor ukulele; G C E A

I designed and drew out the guitar on the day that little James was born (April 17th) and started cutting wood the following day. It's taken me about 3 1/2 months from start to finish. All the wood (except the fingerboard) and most of the hardware was just spare stuff or offcuts I had sitting around from other projects.

The name of this guitar is the "Sweet Baby James". :D

Most other specific information can be found on the pictures, so here we go:

babyjamesguitar-splashpage-frontcop.jpg

babyjamesguitar-splashpage-backcopy.jpg

babyjamesguitar-withfullsizedneckfo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I will call this VPR-0010808

Specs:

Solid flat sawn Zebrawood neck through construction

25.5” scale ebony fret board with Abalone dot side position markers and EVO Gold frets

Kahler Hybrid tremolo

Gotoh 510 ebony tuners

QPart abalone capped knobs

All gold hardware

Artec QDD2 boost

25K tone knob with Drop orange cap

Guitarheads active pickup. I put a solid gold cover over it to give it a classier look

Finish:

Danish oil with a wipe on poly hard coat sanded down & buffed with 0000# steel wool.

No wax. Gives it a flat finish

This is an obvious copy of an ESP Viper that a friend asked me to build for them. It’s flat sawn zebra and for the life of me, I can’t find any more of it. It was hard for me to let this guitar go.

100_4712.jpg

100_4713.jpg

100_4710.jpg

I delivered it yesterday to the owner! He loved it so much he had to sit on the ground and give the “face melter”

100_4725.jpg

Edited by zyonsdream

Here is my latest, the "Kelvinator" :D

It is kind of a tele thinline mutant, with a reverse angled headstock, and backwards f-hole

kelvy2.jpg

The top is american chestnut, from a barn board. It was rather cupped, and I put the convex face to the front, and flattened the back to create an arched top, while leaving the sawmarks on the face intact.

The rest of the body is hickory, also from a barn plank. I chambered it quite a bit, but it is still rather heavy.

kelvy3.jpg

The tailpiece is a name badge from an old refrigerator, which I drilled and slotted to hold the string ends:

kelvy9.jpg

The pickguard is made from some aluminum sheet material I had laying around. No idea what it came from, but it looks like stuff you would find on the inside of a big old freezer, so it kinda goes with the tailpiece.

Knobs are old Heathkit radio knobs. Jackplate and trussrod cover are made of brass.

kelvy8.jpg

I left the chrome hardware bright on this one to match the tailpiece.

Pickups are Stewmac Golden age, hot strat in neck position, and overwound humbucker at the bridge. 4 way tele switch with coil cut for the HB in the two middle positions.

Neck is black walnut, with a persimmon fretboard and position markers made from #4 copper wire.

More pics:

back

neck joint

headstock front

and back

full frontal

Hi again this is another entry from Argytar!!! it s THE VAGABOND

Ok I know that this is no innovation but I had to post this guitar at least to share my joy with you guys!

It sounds and plays fantastic! It has tons of sustain and tone I just can t believe it!

So obviously this is a Les Paul copy with the best features I could imagine!

It s like the holy grail of tone, it s resonant, it pops, it screams and it growls!

I made it together with our former bassman Chris Papapostolou and we call it the Vagabond! (that s also written on the headstock)

Vagabond is also the name of Chris 's guitars maybe you 'll be seeing some of the stuff he makes soon!

So here go the specs:

One piece mahogany body hollowed on the upper bout (it s 30 years old we got it from a retired furniture maker that had these in stock and he said it s from latin America)

ONE piece curly maple top (heavy stuff)

Extra long tenon mahogany neck from the same slab as the body(reaches the end of the neck pickup cavity towards the bridge-really tight)

Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard (old stock from munich germany) I didn t believe it but it really taps like glass!!

Ebony headstock veneer with Les Paul Model sticker decal

dunlop usa strap locks

TUSQ man made ivory nut

Tone Pros upgrade tulip tuners (nicccce!)

Tone Pros locking tune-o-matic bridge with graph tech saddles

Tone Pros aluminum locking tailpiece

bulky neck profile

WCR handmade Godwood pickup set neck-bridge (incredibly PAFy)

RS guitarworks modern pots and caps set

The rest of the hardware is Gibson historic originals.

So this is like the perfect Les Paul for me and it really snaps for funky stuff too.. This guitar plays itself!

Oh the sustain!!! I have it wrapover strung now and it 's super butter-y to play!!

Hope ya like it!!

Image212.jpg

Image206.jpg

Image216.jpg

Image219.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc223/a...ar/Image221.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc223/a...ar/Image218.jpg

Edited by argytar

I posted this over in the "In Progress and Finished Work" section as well, so please forgive me if this is old news to you. For those of you who don't know me, I'm a guitar collector (Les Pauls), an infrequent guitar player, and now a part-time guitar builder. Until late last year, I was building half scale replicas of Les Pauls (called "Less Talls"), primarily for art/display purposes. The latest chapter in the Less Tall saga began this past November. I was debating what project I wanted to take on next, and was thinking I'd like to make something bigger and fully functional/playable this time, but still not full-size. Then, out of the blue, I was contacted by Matte Henderson, an accomplished guitarist and session musician who, as luck would have it, lives just 20 minutes from me. He had heard of my work, and was looking for someone to build him a Les Paul style octave guitar, for use on-stage, and in the studio. The timing was perfect, and so was the project. Thus was born the Less Tall Octave guitar.

In two months time, I went from concept, to (almost) playable guitar. I say almost, because I was still waiting for some (Pigtail) hardware, plus the pickup. Otherwise, the construction was completed on the prototype except for the MOP headstock logo, which I was still waiting to receive from my vendor. Several months have passed since I completed that first prototype, and I just recently completed two more octave guitars. These guitars all feature a Honduran mahogany back and neck (long tenon, of course), figured maple cap and Brazilian rosewood fingerboard (with vintage style inlays).

And, for those of you who may not be familiar with what an octave guitar is, it's a smallish guitar with a short fret scale (in my case approx. 14.5 inches) and a normal width fingerboard, that's tuned one full octave higher than a normal guitar.

Well, I finally delivered the guitar shown below to Matte last week, and since receiving the guitar, Matte has commented on this guitar in a couple of other forums. Here's one of his posts: "this guitar is unbelievable! nashville high string to true violin tone shred. frank pine is a genius! 14.5" scale length. astounding attention to the most minute detail. i've been after this guitar for nearly 28 years. frank nailed it. brazilian board, correct inlay materials, effortless playability."

Below are some pics of the guitar I built for Matte, which I delivered to him last week (clips to follow soon).

MG_7785_1000_Red.jpg

MG_7792_800_Red.jpg

MG_7794_800_Red.jpg

Octave_08.jpg

And, if you're interested in seeing and reading more about this guitar, check out my original thread here: http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=37047

I hope you like the guitar!

Frank

For those interested, here's a clip of Matte Henderson playing the above octave guitar through a Smith Custom Amplifiers 25 Watt head: http://www.mattemusic.com/smith8valester.aif

It's very cool to hear this little thing in the hands of a professional (please don't try this at home)!

p.s. If you absolutely have to have a name for this little guy, I guess "Mini-Me" is as good as any.

Edited by MiKro