Entry for May 2019's Guitar Of The Month is now openĀ ENTER HERE!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bluesy

First Scarf Cut, The Old Methods Work Well!

Not having made a scarf joint before, I did a lot of research. The best way seems to be a bandsaw with a jig - but I don't have a bandsaw. Others used a jig for a router, but that seemed to be an odd use for a router to me. Anyway, to do the router thing, I still needed to rough cut the scarf by hand, so I thought, I'd try to be as neat as I could with the manual cut.

I had read about using a Japanese pull saw, and while at my local hardware store, I noticed they were selling a Tajima pull saw for about $20 that looked just right. A nice flexible blade, and the shape is pretty much the same as a Japanese Kataba saw. The handle is angled down a bit more in the western style, and it felt very controllable.

So I purchased it, and made a trial cut tonight. It was very easy to keep the blade cutting straight. The result only needs a minute's sanding to be flat.

As a bonus, I only guesstimated the angle, but when I measured it later, it was spot on 13 degrees - just like Gibson do it :D

Here's a pic after cutting and a rough sanding and old test piece of Tasmanian oak...

pullsaw.jpg

This method worked well for me as well. I was extraordinarily broke at the time and couldn't figure much of any other way without making a jig of sorts, so I found a blade with no backbone so I could cut all the way through the neck and worked great. As long as you mark your cut and take your time, it actually works quite well. Then I just clamped or taped the pieces together like in your picture and planed them perfectly flat, then used Setch's wonderful little tape trick to do the scarf. I'm probably going to do my next scarf cut on my bandsaw, just to save time and my forearm, but the handsaw works just fine.

Scarf Cut Oh and don't mind all the wood curls all over, I had just finished planing the neck flat and the place was a mess.

Came out just fine Scarf done

Best of luck to you when you do the scarf and well done on testing the method and everything. Looks like you should have no problems getting it done. J

I did it the same way for my first build. I have a bandsaw but no fence for it, and no table saw. I took my Harbor Freight Japanese pull saw like the one in your pic and just went slowly and carefully. It came out perfect.

I'm hoping to get a table saw soon so I'll probably use that for my next build.

I did it the same way for my first build. I have a bandsaw but no fence for it, and no table saw. I took my Harbor Freight Japanese pull saw like the one in your pic and just went slowly and carefully. It came out perfect.

hmm. why would you need a fence for the bandsaw to cut the scarf? you just follow the line. follow the line.

hmm. why would you need a fence for the bandsaw to cut the scarf? you just follow the line. follow the line.

Did you see the part where I said it was my first guitar? I was too nervous about messing it up.

ok.

diddnt mean to offend, just diddnt seem that practical. seems like you could mess it up way easier by hand than with a bandsaw.

None taken. With the hand saw I could take it slow. It took about 3 min. Next time I'll use the bandsaw.