1-piece Honduras Mahogany body blanks

Lex Luthier

How much would you pay for a 1-piece Honduras (Honduran) Mahogany body blank - 2"Thick X 14"Wide, or even wider X 20"or more in Lenght, rough cut? I am wondering what the market for 1-piece Mahogany blanks is. I am going to be buying a large amount for cheap through my work. The price I can get it at is about $30CDN per blank, and I've seen Mahogany blanks go on ebay for $50CDN - over $100CDN. I was thinking I could invest in a large board to get like 10 or so blanks, sell them on ebay and make at least double my money back, then buy some more through my work, though I wonder if my work would dislike me doing this (if they new). I can also get other woods as well.

sup lex

wow man, that's so cheap. honduran is really hard to come by where i am at. however, if you can obtain it for that price, by all means, go for it. just make sure you don't copy any-bodies [or headstock] ideas with out asking for their permission. :D

Page.

I've bought several old vintage amps from my Amplified Brothers in the Great North over the past years.

From there to here (in the US) is usually pretty cheap.

From here to there is an entirely different story.

I've had heads shipped to me (in MD) for as little as $20.00 from Canada (more than once too), and paid much more than that for something the same size coming from the West Coast. Hell, I think that's a great deal.

But I have talked to guys in Canada about what they pay to have something shipped from here to there, and they get KILLED by import fees.

size would be the biggest shipping issue i think, a 2 peice blank is the same weight, only half as wide, so you'll have to look around for the best shipping option,

And i can get the same thing for 42$ localy, 49$ taxes in, so if you can beat that price with shipping in i'll probably take one, actually i only use 13"x19"x2"... so it's more like 37$ ,42.60$ with tx's... even with both of us in canada, i doubt you can ship it for less then 12$ unless it's 4-6 week ground :D

That is a good price. I recently read an article where they shut down the export of mahogany from South America in May of this year, but I can't find it to post a link. It was on one of the main wood suppliers sites. Anyway, if that's the case we are all in for a serious price increase when supplies get short or we'll be looking for a new wood to build with that sounds the same for a reasonable price.

I agree with the others you'll have to watch shipping. Check with the seller, he may have a shipping option that's not too pricey.

Yes but not everyone has it available like you do Derek :D

very true, i was just giving him an idea of what to expect, but i'm sure he'll get lots of buisness cause those are still great prices for the web, just wanted to emphasize he get some good shipping options that's all B)

That is a good price. I recently read an article where they shut down the export of mahogany from South America in May of this year, but I can't find it to post a link. It was on one of the main wood suppliers sites. Anyway, if that's the case we are all in for a serious price increase when supplies get short or we'll be looking for a new wood to build with that sounds the same for a reasonable price.

I agree with the others you'll have to watch shipping. Check with the seller, he may have a shipping option that's not too pricey.

Manufacturers are one step ahead of ya :D it's called the smartwood program, they work on trying to find little known woods that can be substitued for the more popular mahogany, rosewood, and ebony woods, that still sound almost the same but aren't endagered.

http://www.soundwood.org/content.php3?pageID=32

http://www.fsc-uk.info/case5.asp

Thanks for the links. I guess if they want to stay in business they better do something.

The shutdown of exports was a part of a similar program that was abused by locals. The forests were surveyed and certain areas were set aside for logging. The problem was the locals were pushed out of the areas where logging was permitted by the big lumber boys, so they started poaching in the zones they weren't supposed to cut. (I can't blame them because they have to feed their families too) The problem is they took so much wood out of the forbidden zones it caught up with them and the whole system failed.

I am going to find that link and post it. It's very good reading and affects us directly as consumers of exotic woods.

Whew, good thing I got free wood from working last summer. I spent some time in a boat building shop and was given some hefty chunks of Honduras mahogany by the head carpenter. Too bad the sizes aren't big enough to make a full body blank but I got one 4" thick piece sawn into 2 - 2" thick pieces, both 8 1/4" wide X 41 3/4" long. So I might be able to squeeze 2 bookmatched guitars out of those.

I also have a 1 3/4X 8 1/4 X 61 3/4 piece good for 2 more guitars. Also have a 2 X 4 X 39 and a 1 3/4 X 1 3/4 X 39 piece. Thats 3 more neckthroughs.

Have any of you ever had a customer require a one piece body? I know some players view it as a "sustain enhancing" feature, but I don't think there is any evidence to support that. I can only guess that most people who want one-piece bodies want them for looks? For those times when they are looking at the back of the guitar? I'm not saying I'm above all of this, and will never build one/own one but as a builder, I prefer two-piece bodies, and as a player, I wouldn't care if it were a three or more piece as long as it looked good, and sounded good.

Having spewed all of that, I would pay no more than $75 US for a one piece hond. mahagony body blank. I hope you are able to do it - it sounds like an easy money maker.