Next project - Custom 5-String Fretless Bass

I am announcing I have an order of a second bass, going to the lady I sold THIS to, making it the second one of mine she'll own. (A repeat customer, WOW! :D) We had discussed it being a shorter scale length, the original being 34". Her and I both figured it would be a problem to obtain strings - short scale, flatwound, for a 5-string - so the scale is staying the same. She loves the shape a feel of the neck, but wants it a bit thinner, so I'm going to use quartersawn wood and do a laminated neck, maple and something else, not sure yet. She also wanted the width narrower, but she switches from 4 - 5-strings, so it would mess up her playing, so the nut width will remain the same. She explained how she has to sometimes adjust the instrument while playing, particularly the upper horn is a slight problem, though she loves the body design. She said if the body, especially the upper horn was narrower, it'd be more comfortable. She said she also loves the hardware and pickup I put in it, which were just Allparts's low-end stuff, particularly the pickup, so I will use the same exact kind of hardware, and also the same exact wiring setup. Fingerboard will again be Ebony, and the body will be "regular" Walnut, nothing like the one pictured in the link. I may also use an alchohal based dye-stain we've used at my work. I saw a Walnut table top stained with the stuff and it looked COOOOL. It had a real sweet maroon, burgundy tone. The table was also clearcoated with the laquer we use at work, but I will do some test pieces to see if I could stain the wood, then use a tung oil as the sealer/protector finish, because I don't want to put a solid finish on it. It will also have a bolt-on neck.

• 2 months later...

hey Lex, do you play bass or are you purely a craftsman?