Guitar Of The Month For September

Guitar of the Month for September  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

just a telecaster with "unusual hardware"

OK, I see how it is around here...

B):D:D

Just kidding, I really didn't take it like that.

But that's kinda like saying a telecaster is just a les paul with a bolt on neck.

No worries, mate.

If I didn't want to hear peoples comments, I wouldn't be posting my work here.

I try to learn something from everything that is said, no matter how stupid it may sound at the time ( not referring to the quote above ) or how hard it may be to hear.

I am here not just to show off and get my ego stroked, but to get my ass kicked, as well. The former encourages me to keep going, and the latter keeps me from getting complacent.

In addition to being socially awkward, I am a freak and a recluse, so it would be very easy for me to get lost in my own little trip, but I want and need to keep building these things and do it for a living, so it is important for me to get feedback from sources that I might normally dismiss as irrelevant, especially considering how ecclectic my concepts are, and it is even more important to subject said sources to rambling, run-on sentences.

I would so love to see the tiny LP in the hands of one of the dwarves in the stonehenge scene from Spinal Tap.

B)

I am here not just to show off and get my ego stroked, but to get my ass kicked, as well. The former encourages me to keep going, and the latter keeps me from getting complacent.

:D

Can't agree more it's good to read the pro's and con's, and how people see different things in these works of art

Edited by jaycee

Orgmorg re read my post please I didn't say that :D

When I put myine up on the gotm I'll be putting it up to get crit rather than winning (I know which is more likely)

I ended up voting for the Kelvinator, I forgot to comment though when I did. I've voted for other orgmorg guitars in the past as I find them neat and timeless, although that is almost the exact opposite of the idea behind them in using aged products. I just find it great to take something else altogether and turn it into not only a playable guitar, but one that looks well constructed. There is a very thin line between leaving too much of that raw look and polishing it too much as an instrument and I felt that this one in particular found the perfect median. Honestly, I bet I would end up playing it a lot, but having mounting it on the wall while not in use. Aside from that it has a feel, almost a hertige to it and that is appealing, similar to how some see ukes. Many great instruments this month once again and as stated my vote went with the Kelvinator!

Zyons guitar was awesome as well, something I would enjoy owning no doubt. Nicely done with a great choice in woods and I really liked the choice in finish for that one. Plus it looks nice and smooth and some portions of zebra can be miserable to get perfectly smooth. This build was right at the top of my choices as well. Scottys basses are always wicked and I've voted for them a few times already, so I felt someone else deserved the vote this month, though it was still one I considered for a great while, very nice build like the others I voted for.

The firebird was wicked. I loved the grain on that fretboard, another great zebra choice there and I actually really like the natural top with black sides and back, plus white binding, very neat looking. The only thing with this one, is when looking at the whole build, I feel like there is some color missing from the project, I think that black hardware would have made a tremendous difference on this one and could have likely stolen my vote as I really liked the entire build, the top just needed that little bit of extra contrast to bring the back and the stripes from the fretboard together. Just how my eyes saw it, this is such a minor difference that I did not let it weight much at all in my decision, which is why this one was right at the top as well.

Matt's guitar was awesome, I've enjoyed watching that one come together. The finish looks great on it and for a little guitar it looks excellent. That is something that I'd hope gets passed down the generations in your family, very cool and very well done. Beautiful woods, great handmade pieces on the instrument like the tailpiece, very nice work.

Argytars build is another great build. I always love LP's and this one is no exception, I really like the burst coloring on this one, bit different and very nice. I like the figure on the top, does not draw away any attention from the instrument as a whole, yet gives just enough to make it look very nice. Another great build with a beautiful finish, very well done and a guitar anyone would be proud of, excellent work.

And last but not least the Less Tall. I thoroughly enjoyed going through the threads with the different sized LP's. I think the idea of this guitar being fully functional and reasonable as a playable instrument is what makes it so cool. As Josh pointed out, downsizing an instrument perfectly is no simple task as you must adjust proportions so it doesn't look ridiculous. To have an LP come out looking so sweet at that size says a lot. I'm sure a lot more time and effort went into building a smaller version of an LP than would have if it was a full sized LP, even though it would seem opposite. I really liked this build a lot and look forward to seeing future instruments. All in all, great instruments all around, great work everyone. J

Firstly I don't think its a novelty instrument no more say than picking up a uke/banjo/mandolin/sitar/bass (I'm guilty of owning all except the banjo) or building a cigar box guitar. I like fretted intruments that are different and playable for a useless guitarist like myself, it allows me to make different noises!

you so should have added a guitar with a sustainer to that list... for most of us that would be a novelty instrument :D hopefull i will have a lapsteel i might enter soon... perhaps another novelty item to most of us but its being built for someone that will play it in a band. I probably wouldnt have voted for the less tall if i hadnt seen it played, really good to see it in use to show that it doesnt have to be a novelty to the right player - same goes for all those other instruments

carousel - i like the neck and inlay but i think the body misses the raised section or a pickguard... or a crazy finish. i think it just needs a little more of something to add interest

scottyd - its a shame basses dont get more votes because yours have been great and this is another fine example. I think i preferred the darker singlecut one

matt - that photo next to the full size neck is brilliant. I like the little guitar but think the tailpiece seems a bit oversized - i would like to see a similar design on a full size guitar

Zyonsdream - its a great looking SG and i really like the zebrano grain in the neck. personally i wouldnt want the gold hardware and i would want the second pickup

orgmorg - i love these things, so much attention to detail that really stands out and makes them rise above a 'junk' guitar label. i'm not sure the old fridge and barn themes work together though. i would have liked to see this with less of the reclaimed wood and a shiny lacquer finish in a retro colour to really set off those fridge parts

argytar - its very nice and clearly well built - it just doesnt stand out as much as some of the others this month - partly because you have done such a good job of making it look like a guitar we are used to seeing

pinefd - had to be the one for me... it probably would just be a novelty in my hands but even if it was a full size version it would be a damn nice example of a LP and i would have been tempted to vote for it. i wonder if we are going to see gibson making an octave guitar as part of the limited edition runs they do - i wouldnt be surprised

torn between the kelvinator and the less tall. I love the subtle tweaks that pinefd made to the most recognizable badging in the guitar world. Brilliant. Unfortunately for him I like the creative usage of knick knacks and salvaged lumber on the kelvinator even more. Both amazing though. They're unique without being either over-the-top or kitschy.

B) I'm never going to live that down...it was a mistake...I saw the entry, looked through the thread, saw a professional builder, a new member with what turns out to be a variety of mini guitars and assumed (wrongly..as in ass-umed) that the entry was the "novelty" non-playing version described in that thread...I was wrong already... B)

Still wouldn't change my vote :D ...it is my choice, and my reasoning. I take in a number of considerations but in more recent times I have abstained from commenting and usually from voting. The amount of experience, the intention and how it fulfills it, whether I have seen this kind of thing before, whether it would seem a person just enters to get credit or publicity or adds value to the forum, whether I like it.

I recall voting for every kind of entry over the time especially recalling the ravelle inspired but oh so ever better wood choice and build of WezV or the cigar box guitars. I know I have voted for orgmorgs rustic creations and I have voted for many stringed basses and voted for a well executed Les Paul or Strat. I have voted for a fine ormsby yet voted for a more amateur modification that really stretched someones abilities and resources (in recent days for instance, my workshop has been on the floor in the hallway or in the open air!). Sometimes I just like the color!

Anyway...the sustainer may be a novelty device, so be it (it only took 5 years to get to this stage!) but my telecaster is a fine instrument unique in it's own way regardless of any novelty devices I may have hopefully tastefully integrated into the work and I hope it will be judged for what it is... an interesting and nice guitar built to play. A lot of those parts were hand built or selected to make it look as if it were meant to be. As always, it is a matter of personal choice. If you like I'll stick a capo on the thing and call it an octave guitar with elongated headstock...sheeesh!

It is a little early to be judging it but hopefully I will be able to get some samples up of what the thing does so the "sustainer" thing is not so much a novelty anymore...but then any number of worthy entries are floating around the board and matt's is a strong contender in a different vein with an ongoing thread so...you know, his has more strings than mine but we could all be beat by a triple neck pedal steel if you got one in the wings... ;)

Anyway...my gaff seems to have been pinefd's gain so if you keep hammering away he will win by an amount that defy's his entries diminutive size... :D

pete

Not Like mine you don't!!!... :D

Hey...I just remembered I made a baby guitar once from found objects in the shed (when I had a shed)...the frets were made from coat hanger wire.... :D

lowtechguitar2.jpg

so...see, nothing against little guitars...mine is in fact sitting on the bookshelf, not the mantle...hahhaha

pete

Edited by psw

Before this thread is shut down, I wanted to take this opportunity to praise my fellow GOTM builders for creating some beautiful guitars, and to thank everyone for voting in this month’s GOTM. I really appreciate your kind words and constructive criticism with regard to my GOTM entry…regardless of the outcome. Building guitars is mostly just a hobby for me (albeit a very serious one), so my satisfaction is measured by the fun I have doing it, and the reactions I get from those who see and play my guitars. The praise I’ve received from my fellow members here means a great deal to me, and is what keeps me going and striving to better my craft. Thanks again!

Frank Pine