Sanding block for sanding square

Hotrock

When bookmatching my maple last night, I was trying to sand the joining surfaces square using a normal sanding block. Unfortunately, it kept going rather funky mainly due to the fact that I wasn't only pissed and stoned but also useless at sanding square (I kept on rounding off one edge).

Anyway, I found that taking the blade out of a plane and using it as a sanding block was much much easier. You've got a handle and if it's pointing upwards, you're sanding square.

Don't know if this helps anyone, but I was quite happy.

I'm all for being pissed and stoned, but you don't want to pick up any tools whilst you're in that state. You certainly don't want to have at your guitar whilst you're half cut - it's a sure fire way to do something really stupid, either to your project or yourself.

And yes, tools includes sandpaper. You're unlikely to do yourself a serious injury with abrasives, but you can sure as **** do irrepairable damage to your guitar.

Glue a long piece of 80 grit onto a surface that you KNOW is square and flat. Then set up a straight, long piece of wood about 6" high (clamp it, nail it, screw it, whatever, :D ) perpendicular to your sanding surface. I call it a sideboard. Lay the wood you want to sand on the paper and run it back and forth making sure it doesn't leave contact with the sideboard. Check your edges now and then with a square.