Oh Gosh, I Did It Now....

Kenny

Living in the USA you should have 220v single phase power coming into your house. That power is split into two lines of 110v...the power for the normal outlets in your house. Do you have an electric stove or clothes dryer? Maybe and electric water heater? These items would be on a 220v circuit. It would be fairly easy to run a 220v line for your saw if you wanted one.

I bought a Grizzly G0457 a few months ago after reading that it could be rewired to 120v. What I didn't realize at the time was that it required a 30 amp circuit, so there was no way I could plug it into a standard 120v outlet and not trip the breaker.

Just last week I hired an electrician and added two new 240v circuits. The bandsaw loves it.

What DC Ross said is what I was gonna mention. You need a bigger circuit if you rewire it, that's why when I was lookin' at them before, still haven't gotten one :D, I was lookin' at 14" ones only, cause I only have a regular circuit available and it would be kept at my parents.

well, where the saw is there used to be a washer/dryer...20? years ago anyways, i was planning on hiring an electrician. we also have a heater in the garage, but at this point im unable to find a licenced electrician :-\

i got the shop all clean an organized too. haha anywho, thanks for all the advice guys, im gonna see if i have a 220v circut (becuase i think we had it capped of but im not entirely sure)

Well, I'm not so sure you *have* to get someone licenced. I have a friend who's not quite licensed, only because he needs more time of actual work experience. But he's hooked up 3 phase motors, etc. And he actually took a 220 line in my house and ran a 110 line off of it to make a new outlet in my workshop. The 220 was from an old AC unit.

Not impossible to find someone who can do it. Check out the "Skill'd Trade" section of craigslist. Yeah, maybe hard to tell the bozos from the real deal. You're in CA so that makes it even harder. When lived there, complete bozos often had store-front businesses !

Kenny, if you look in you circuit breaker box you will see all the different breakers. Most of them will probably only take up one slot in the breaker box. (I'm assuming your home has circuit breakers and not old school fuses) The one slot breakers are 110v. If you have a breaker that takes up two slots...this is a 220v breaker. If you have a 220v breaker you must have a 220v circuit in your house. Maybe for that old washer and dryer you mentioned. If you had the circuit capped all they probably did was cover the end of the wires...All you would have to do is put an appropriate outlet in and get a matching plug (with a cord rated for 220v) for your saw. Just make sure the circuit breaker is turned off before you do anything. And leave it to a pro if you don't feel completely comfortable tackling it yourself.

Just make sure the circuit breaker is turned off before you do anything. And leave it to a pro if you don't feel completely comfortable tackling it yourself.

I'm more neurotic than that. I open the main before I run any wiring unless I need the lighting. In that case I use a tester. Cheap insurance to buy one for 5 or 10 bucks.

I agree it's not difficult stuff, but mistakes with electricity are unforgiving, and $50 or $100 isn't a steep price to pay to avoid all danger of electrocution. :D

Absolutely, and lets not forget about the potential fire danger either.

Kenny ... I have a friend in SD that has a sparky he likes, I'll see if I can get a number for you.

I agree it's not difficult stuff, but mistakes with electricity are unforgiving, and $50 or $100 isn't a steep price to pay to avoid all danger of electrocution. :D

Absolutely, and lets not forget about the potential fire danger either.

Kenny ... I have a friend in SD that has a sparky he likes, I'll see if I can get a number for you.

There is nothing quite like being flung off a step ladder with 230V coursing through your veins trust me! luckily I brushed a live wire with the back of my hand.

we need 230V over here because waiting ages for a cup of tea is not acceptable!