Death Magnetic

Muzz

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can agree on one thing...Hefield's voice USED to be great...I love the old albums...especially Master and Justice...

Absolutely no dispute on that :D

Holy Wars is the only good song on that entire album

I can't really agree with you on that one, Tornado of Souls and Take no prisoners are good songs too, not to mention Hangar 18 which together with Holy Wars is what makes this album. I guess with this as with everything else, it's like the middle rear part of the human anatomy, very divided...

I hear you...as with everything,it's only my opinion...but I really do shut the album off after "holy Wars"

But I am into it for the heavy stuff...the rest of the album is a bit wimpy for me...but as always,Mustaine is the consumate professional...which is why you never hear me criticise his vocals or much of anything else of his...he seems the type of guy to never sell out and never let anything slip by that's less than exactly his vision...

Yeah, I agree on that. Generally people like this is what I like the most in the metal industry. At the same time I think it is kinda weird that he could not get over whining about being kicked out of Metallica like 100 years ago. Seems weird that such a strong minded character has such problems getting over that kinda thing...

Yeah, I agree on that. Generally people like this is what I like the most in the metal industry. At the same time I think it is kinda weird that he could not get over whining about being kicked out of Metallica like 100 years ago. Seems weird that such a strong minded character has such problems getting over that kinda thing...

Competing with Metallica became the driving force of Mustaines life. He always seemed to be one step behind them and that bugged the hell out of him.

I still believe Mustaine has been a better writer for the last 18 years...and a better guitarist than the boys in Metallica for the last 20...maybe 25...

That lead of Mustaines on Holy Wars smokes everything Hammett ever did...it meshed mechanically with the rythm in a way that Kirk's never did...

Don't get me wrong...Hammett is who inspired me to pick up the guitar in the first place...and I loved Hetfield's rythm/down picking style...but AFTER I became a good guitarist,I became more enamored of Mustaine's style...the man is just so dead on all the time...

Mustaine's leads could use some work though. You're right about his lead guitarist though. Have you ever seen that cover of "Cemetary Gates" from Dream Theater? Its on youtube somewhere. Mustaine comes in with the last solo. Its cool to see him as a surprise guest, but at the same time, i wish he'd thrown in something besides "WOAH! FAST! HOLY (poo)! MEEDLYMEEDLYMEEDLY WEEEEEW!!!"

Edited by Narcissism

Mustaine's style is rythmic,even on lead...i you want to hear more off the wall stuff,you have to go with chris poland or marty friedman...does not make them better,just different..

So I don't think they need work at all...they are not sloppy,and they are done easily by him,so that tells me he is playing them the way he wants to...There are plenty of slower guitarists to listen to...

Mustaine's leads could use some work though. You're right about his lead guitarist though. Have you ever seen that cover of "Cemetary Gates" from Dream Theater? Its on youtube somewhere. Mustaine comes in with the last solo. Its cool to see him as a surprise guest, but at the same time, i wish he'd thrown in something besides "WOAH! FAST! HOLY ****! MEEDLYMEEDLYMEEDLY WEEEEEW!!!"

I was at that show, I wonder if I can find my self in the crowd..

Mustaine's style is rythmic,even on lead...i you want to hear more off the wall stuff,you have to go with chris poland or marty friedman...does not make them better,just different..

So I don't think they need work at all...they are not sloppy,and they are done easily by him,so that tells me he is playing them the way he wants to...There are plenty of slower guitarists to listen to...

I became a fan of Marty with the work he did in Cacophony with Jason. I have never heard that kind of guitar playing in my life, my first speed album.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone would know what I was talking about, guess your ex was wrong :D

That's right about being carefull about what you post, I was just reading in Rolling Stone about a dude who posted some of the Chinese Democracy tracks and is facing jail time and a whopping fine.

Lars hasn't sued me for this post click here

I heard there is even a youtube vid where Lars says he likes hearing cover versions :D

Does anyone know if Metallica used Roland Jazz Chorus amps for the clean sounds on DM? I still have not heard an amp or sim get close to a JC120 for clean tones.

Welcome back to the solos, love the wah :D

What do you think?

Absoloutley dreadfull, I think the wah and the feel they went for works with "That was just your life" and "My Apocolypse", but everything else is just awfull, there not thought out

and are just wah drenched ramblings, pasted together in pro tools, watching the Making of DVD with lars there saying "that was awesom dude" I couldn't believe it, it's like are you listening to the same stuff we are? There are certain harmony parts I like, but the wah solos are dreadfull. I think he needs to go and give Joe Satriani a call again and get some more lessons from him.

Is good to have the Mighty Het back on form again, some nice lyrics and riffs. The album is far from classic material, but has some damn catchy tunes on it.

I dig it but not for the solos

watching the Making of DVD with lars there saying "that was awesom dude" I couldn't believe it, it's like are you listening to the same stuff we are?

You know what's awesome?The new Meshuggah...

I just figured out what this Metallica reminds me of...classic Anthrax with Joey Belladonna...the music was mostly decent,but the voice always killed it.

There is still something wrong though...the drum sound on the entire album is awful.....it really takes away from the music.

Couldn't agree more. This is what totally destroys it for me. Ok, it's not St.Anger snare, but damn, it is completely lifeless and without, well, soul, for lack of a better word.

And Lars sounds like he has become too old to play this ****, but like deeeeeeeeesperately trying to do it anyway, it sounds completely forced at times, very little creativity in the playing, and..

well, I could go on and on about it, let's just agree that Lars' time is over...

I just finished listening to "Suicide &Redemption"...I actually liked it,for the most part...I guess being an instrumental James does not destroy it..

There is still something wrong though...the drum sound on the entire album is awful.....it really takes away from the music.

Have you listen to the Hammet & Santana instrumental in the last Santana CD? There is a similarity between them 2, just that the Santana was always bluesy and slow.http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?act=Post&CODE=02&f=15&t=38258&qpid=397484#

It sounds like lars prefers a more "acoustic" sound on the drums...but that SO does not work in metal...In the great albums(AJFA,Master,etc...)they had a great processed sound which was very tight and focused...I miss that.

That is what I was trying to come up with, a more acoustic sound. Definitely is what is killing the overall sound of the band.