3hp Motor Uses?

pariah223

My job just moved and the place we moved into had some stuff left behind.. and among those things is a perfectly good working 3 hp 1725 rpm motor. I brought it home and was thinking of making a buffer out of it... but 3 hp seems like it might be way too much power for a buffer. Any ideas? Would it work as a buffer or can anyone think of a better use for such a beast?

I am not sure the normal speeds for buffers, but I think you would be okay at that speed. 3hp is not going to make it go any faster, it is just going to take a heck of a lot more to bog down the motor. Other question is, how may volts and how many phases does it run off, and can you supply that type of connection if needed. 3hp is nothing unheard of, but it does get into the range of higher voltages, and 2 or 3 phaseis not unheard of.

Fret slotting machine? (fret slots and fretting are so tedious... )

Not from what I see for about $120 you can get a blade from stewmac and a template for strat and les pauls and the indexing pin from lmi. All you have to do is make a sled and it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to slot one. I'm also considering making a buffer with a motor I got at a woodworking store going out of business sale for $20 5 years ago.

+1 on the drum sander idea. Or your could attach a bunchload of leather gloves onto a wheel to make some kind of a slapping device.

lol, i laughed pretty hard at that one....

Yeah, i was tossing around between a drum sander and a buffing machine. I actually found a brand new 1/3 hp motor in my garage that my dad must have for no reason.. so i could do both i suppose. Drum sanders are tricky to build.. no?

Drum sanders are a project. Not just buy an arbor and pop some felt buffing wheels on it. (Like a buffer)

It is a manageable project. The straight forward ones have a lower table that is hinged on one end, and has a bolt that raises and lowers the table on the other. Above that is a solid support for a 4 inch drum made of many circles of plywood glued together, wrapped in sandpaper and hooked to your motor with a couple of pullys. There is some woodworking involved, but anyone who can do the woodworking for a guitar can handle it.

Do some google searches for "homemade drum sander" and "shop built drum sander".

-j