Guitar Of The Month For November

Guitar of the Month for November  

112 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

orgmorg - i really like the look of this one but there seems to a contrast between the naturally old stuff and the aged stuff. It all looks great but if i focus in on the pickups or back i think the age looks more artificial... I know thats a daft criticism because i once mentioned that shiny hardware didnt suit the guitars either. Maybe its just the hammered effect i dont like. The headstock is awesome

Metal Matt - I can go with the green... but i am not sure about the rear cutouts. Ever since someone said something about a buddha its all i can see!! Also i cant help think something is missing from the headstock... but at least you know the headstock shape works well for an 8 string;)

chops1983 - a very impressive build - especially for a first. The shape doesnt do much for me but it is at least original... I prefered some of the raw wood pics to the finished article... the burst is just a little heavy at the edges for my tastes

Hooglebug - I love the shape. like above, i think i preferred it in raw wood state... i guess i am not feeling the blackbursts this month, strange because i am usually a fan. I really like all teh chrome against the dark guitar

Mikro - The cover plate makes this for me... the geometric shapes work so well. I think an extra black veneer under the backstrap would have really set that neck of a treat. and i am also not sure the tailpiece complements the shape but i am not sure of one that would

Dan - I like the blue!! But i preferred it over the natural ash grain last month... but then i prefer the back of this guitar. Tough call but i voted for you last month so will skip it this one... i could more see myself playing last months

CRSKMD - something about white covered pickups really doesnt do it for me.. but the rest of the guitar looks very well put together. It would have been nice to have more photos

Avenger 63 - The wood looks great and construstion is getting much better but i think the shape would be complimented more by some bevels or carving. The round over makes this shape look a little tubby to me - but i do like that end view a lot

swedishluthier - I really like this one. the shape is a bit different but works well. I think the back could do with being a little bit more red - but that could just be the photo's. The dots look good - very clever

perry - Its a very nice looking 8. Stuff like the grain matching and grainfill really sets it off - when i first saw the body blank i was sure it was destined for a solid finish and i know we are going to be seeing more 'Ormsby Grain' appearing round here. Since you mentioned the trans blue i really wish thats the finish it had. I really like trans blue over ash

Orgmorg...............................This had my vote as soon as I saw it, and it stayed there throught the month, a few ooh's and ahh's along the way but it beat off the other competition.

This is a guitar I would have loved to build. The recycling of material and the "junkiness" of it is inspiring, It was only the other month I was wondering how a body would look if I were to dent it with a ball hammer, and low and behold you've done it. My favourite part must be the draw handle as the tail stop, my least fav' is the logo on the headstock, why? I just don't know fantastic build.

Mikro...................... That's one sweet looking guitar. The dish looks great.

Of the other entries again the quality as allways is exellent, but those that caught my eye were Avenger's Prototype very clean and uncluttered.

SwedishLuthier the look and overall finish is impressive, and the binding contrasting with the maple top just struck me as being well done, (apart from the corners of the headstock) and the markers/dots is something I have allways found to be a nice touch .

Rhoads56, Perry as allways a cracking example of a top guitar. Theres a saying that "a persons strength is also his weakness" and I think for you to get my vote your build would have to be something special by your standards. If anyone else had built it, it may well have got my vote, the grain matching was a nice touch.

Edited by jaycee

There are many great builds and I could see myself picking them all up to have a bash on them. Let's face it, if they make you want to pick 'em up, you're there in my books !!!! Having said that, there was one that carried far more than just depth in the beauty and comfort department.

A multi-blended mix of simplicity in styling and thinking on a total other level.

It's also more than just Aussie pride, it's Aussie awe.

Well done Perry.

cheers, Stu

There are many great builds and I could see myself picking them all up to have a bash on them. Let's face it, if they make you want to pick 'em up, you're there in my books !!!! Having said that, there was one that carried far more than just depth in the beauty and comfort department.

A multi-blended mix of simplicity in styling and thinking on a total other level.

It's also more than just Aussie pride, it's Aussie awe.

Well done Perry.

cheers, Stu

Thank you sir!

orgmorg - love it, Ive always wanted to do a build like that. Just need the right client :D My only suggestion would be to change the switch. Look out for the perfect switch tip, Im sure you'll see one in your travels.

Metal Matt - Like the colour, and the workmanship looks fantastic. I feel your design needs a little more work though. And dude, INTONATE that bridge! B)

Chops - good to see another aussie in here. Sent some pics to Aust Guitar Mag.

hoogle - Nice fresh take on a single cut design. Pro builder - where is the sound sample though?

Mikro - excellent work. I really like your take on a resonator.

Daniel - another excellent built - love the colour, and your trademark scarf joint pinstripe is awesome. Ive been asked to do that, and i had to say no in respect. B)

CRS - one post. No details. No thread. No vote. Sorry dude, get in there and tell us about the build.

Avenger - nice guitar, those roundovers would have taken some work. I would like to see a smoother neck joint though!

Peter (swedish...) - near perfect. Watch that headstock binding though! Binding is a real pain. I like to see your name a little easier to read. When it comes down to it, people MUST be able to read your name, it will cost you clients if they cant. Not everyone wants to (or can) strike up a conversation with a guitarist, just to find out who built their guitar. Also, DO NOT use your real signature. Trust me on this one :D

ORGMORG: I really love ALL of these junkyard specials. Every single one of them has a redneck coolness to them that I really get off on. I've voted for them in the past, but I just can't this month. Seriously, I'd love to be able to think THAT far outside the box.

MATT: I'm glad you finished another one. 7 & 8 stringers don't do much for me. Extra points, angles, and bevels are OK, but they don't look right on this one. I think it's too much of a mix of curves & points. I DO like the green, though.

CHOPS: The shape does nothing for me. I can't put my finger on it for any constructive criticism either. Sorry.

HOOGLEBUG: The shape is great! I agree with Wez on this one - the blackburst is too dark. With the dark wood, the black kind of muddies it up. Other than that, it looks great.

MIKE: I like resos anyway. An acoustic is hard enough to build without adding the reso aspect to it. That this one doesn't have all the metal a "normal" reso has really makes it stand out to me. You get my vote this month.

DANIEL: I like your Nova shape. Clearly influenced by PRS, but tweaked to your liking. I like the extra touches you put into the neck, specifically the black lines. Those little touches really make things stand out. The finish is a little off to me. The semi-gloss sheen... I'm not sure about it.

CRSKmD: Perry said it best.

Avengers63: :D

SWEED: It looks more like a bass shape than a guitar. The really long bass horn turns me away from it. I DO think the fret markers are neat. I've never seenthem half-off the fretboard before.

PERRY: Like I said for Matt, 7 & 8 stringers don't do anything for me. That graining thing you did is just sick.

To me very round guitars like les pauls can look very tubby if the carve isnt quite right. this is something i have noticed in my own les paul alikes since i used to round over everything. Its a style or carving that would look great on an ibanez (think somehting like a JS model), but just doesnt suit this in my opinion.

I quite like the shape though, so some sharp bevels.. or a LP style recarve could really bring it to life. maybe even both... how about a traditional LP style carve round the bottom that become sharper on the top half. Actually i would quite like to see a bastard son of a bevelled edge explorer and traditional LP with something like the dean soltero waist to join the two styles together

As always very nice month and a lot of excellent entries. This friendly competition is really inspiring to follow, whether I enter a guitar or not. Good job everyone!

Orgmorg:

I will miss your weather beaten guitars. The only thing I didn’t like this month was the knobs. They could have been even more in line with everything else.

MATT!!

I’m just sorry, not my cup of tea. It look like you did a really good job, thou.

Chops

There is something that makes the body look butt-heavy. But the maple top is really good-looking. I would have liked to see a bit more of the inlayed wood near the strap button. Tell me; Is it a nice cover up job or intentional?

Hooglebug

Nice design, but a bit too much gold for me. In one of the pic the finish looks a bit odd, but it might just be the picture.

MiKro

Great choices of wood there. Love the neck with the flame maple and the contrasting walnut.

Daniel

I love the stuff you do. Can’t really say anything else. Or maybe; Can I rip of your idea with the contrasting wood in the head stock scarf? Just kidding…

CRS

A neat first build. I would have liked to see more pictures.

Avenger

I dunno…I get the feeling that you have tried to combine different elements of your favourite designs into one single guitar. To me the parts really don’t look like a complete unit (hard to describe this). It lacking a bit of “flow” or something.

Perry

Clean and mean. A really nice touch with the bright red kill-button

I like to see your name a little easier to read. When it comes down to it, people MUST be able to read your name, it will cost you clients if they cant. Not everyone wants to (or can) strike up a conversation with a guitarist, just to find out who built their guitar. Also, DO NOT use your real signature. Trust me on this one :D

Thanks for the input Perry. This is a slightly older guitar (1,5 years old at least) and I have switched to decals during the fall. The next GOTM will probably feature a headstock with the decals, or the one after. I have a few in the pipe...

Avenger: It was originally a bass guitar design of mine that I adapted for guitar. Good eyes my friend.

Orgmorg:

First time i saw this guitar i didn't like it. But now i see that the idea is original and realization is good. Wish i have it in my country house (though i don't have any...)

MATT!!

The realization is very clear, as always, but the guitar looks lifeless (maybe that's because of simple finish)

Chops

As SwedishLuthier told, the body looks a bit heavy. But anyway i like an idea, the wood and finish. Really nice guitar

Hooglebug

I like the shape but the finish is too dark and looks a bit "homemade"

MiKro

Voted for you!

Awesome wood, awesome realization. Only 1 thing i don't like very much is tailpiece - it's rather simple for this guitar

Wish i could hold it in my hands.

Daniel

Really like this build - nothing to chicane. Especially i like finish and wood stripe at the end of the neck

But at last moment i've decieded to vote for MikRo - a bit more original build.

CRS

Well build guitar but without soul. And as guys told - no additional info or photos.

Avenger

Again i agree with SwedishLuthier - i think you used to incompatible designs in one body so it looks disconnected. Though i like the wood and your work with it

Also i think that a bolt-on neck doesn't suit here (the better choise would be sapele set neck imo)

SwedishLuthier

Very nice build - original idea and very nice realisation. And i really like the shape.

About finish - i'd prefer more yellow top and more red back but that's only my opinion

Hope to see more guitars from you in future (with building details :D)

Perry

Perfect guitar. But it's "cold" for me.

Edited by Mr_Buttman

Awesome wood, awesome realization. Only 1 thing i don't like very much is tailpiece - it's rather simple for this guitar

Hehe, I voted for this one, and one thing I liked was the tailpiece...funny what sways our votes!

I mean that guitar is creatively made and that tailpiece looks like "from other guitar"

For example watch the tailpiece in Dave's Blue Dragonfly http://www.mykaguitars.com/instruments/049/56.jpg

I think the handmade wood taipiece would suit this Mikro's guitar more

Edited by Mr_Buttman

Hehe, I voted for this one, and one thing I liked was the tailpiece...funny what sways our votes!

I mean that guitar is creatively made and that tailpiece looks like "from other guitar"

For example watch the tailpiece in Dave's Blue Dragonfly http://www.mykaguitars.com/instruments/049/56.jpg

I think the handmade wood taipiece would suit this Mikro's guitar more

I get what you mean. I was just pointing out different tastes or opinions. When I looked at it my first thought was "Hey, cool! I didn´t expect to see that" . Myka´s handmade tailpiece is awesome, and I´m positive MK would have done a great job as well.

And thansk everyone so far on this, and yes the tailpiece is a problem for me as well. It is what it is. I don't understand wooden tailpieces well enough at this time to have tried it on this one. Not sure of the grain orentation and such that I was comfortable to do it. Not that I didn't think of it! But was not the priority.

Perry thank you for the kind words. Your entry is awesome as usual and I commend you on the simplicity and complexity that most don't see. My Hats off to you. Very well presented.

Matt the green is hideous in my opinion. but that's me, the design is great for a pointy guitar. I think different when I think of pointy though. Maybe the next one I do will illustrate that? Geometry in motion maybe. I have an idea in my head!!

Daniel as usual an awesome build. I love the blue. Funny thing, Blue is my color and I have yet to use it on wood.

HB. The color/finish is DARK just doesn't do me. The headstock shape and body are not doing it for me either. But again that's mt taste. Otherwise well crafted and I'm sure if I could play it it would feel great.

Chops. The body does nothing for me, it is otherwise a great build.

CRS: Nice but I don't like Jems Period. Yours is well executed.

Sl the build is very nice. Ithink the horns are too long but that's my eyes looking at it. I know I'm to damn traditional. Smae bitch everyone wil have with my opinion :D

Org What can I say, just Hillbilly!!!!!!!! I love it cause you are outside as well.

John, the finish is great, very subtle. just the way you want, It's very well executed. I still don't get the shape going for me but I'm sure in my hands I would understand. :D

Mike

Orgmorg: As always, killer original design. I love the destressed looks of these guitars and I'm a bit saddened that we won't see any more of them in the GOTM. However, I look forward to what we might see in the future!

Metal Matt: I fell in love with this guitar the second I saw it and If I could afford it this axe would be sitting at my house right now. Perfect cut, color and design...dude you got my vote this month, no questions asked....now I'll give you $500.00 for it LOL!

Chops1983: I love the reverse headstock and the overall shape of the guitar. I'm not a big fan of the finish or the body inlay. Just seems like it was put there to fix a blemish or something. Also, the back wood looks out of place a bit. All in all, a good solid build you should be proud of!

Hooglebug: I really like the shape you designed with this guitar. If it didn't have those pickups and those green keystone tuners it would be a winner for me

Miko: I envy this guitar. It's beautiful and the wooden cone is awesome. I'd upgrade the tail piece to something that stands out a bit. Metal Matt beat you out for one reason. I'd play the V more than this acoustic but really! I wish there could be two winners because you deserve it!

Daniel Sorbera: I love the shape (as always) and the quilt and color are excellent choices. I guess for me the uniqueness of the body shape is wearing off since I've been seeing more of them. I guess shape can be the victim of success.

C.R.S.Km.D: What can I say. looks like a kit guitar and until I see build pictures that's what it is. A kit with no finish. I'll say I like the choice of white pickups! props to EMG for giving us two color options! However, I tend to be more interested in the cab than the actual guitar. Sorry....one post doesn't help either.

Avengers63: This is an interesting take on the Dean shape but personally the overly rounded edges don't do much for me. I like the wood choices and the quality looks great, just doesn't click with me but pay no mind...I build pointy guitars...

SwedishLuthier: I think this is a great shape that reminds me of a rick. I guess it's that drastic upper horn. This build strikes me as being a top of the line. Any other month and I could see myself voting for it. I'm just not a fan of the amber finish. If it was a quilted red or blue this would have been a harder decision.

Rhoads56: Super excellent professional guitar and being able to put a band like Meshuggah in the driver seat is quite a feather in your cap! That alone should make you proud of the Ormsby eight string! The distressed look of the Swamp ash is really cool and almos gives it a zebrawood look. Unfortunately this month I really felt that Metal Matts Toxic V outclassed everyone!

It was interesting to notice that there wasn't one standard off the shelf shape this month (well there was one but really, that didn't count!) That's really cool and shows the innovation that this forum is bringing to the guitar building community. I learn every time I come here and I am consistently impressed by the level of artistry that comes from this place! Keep it up folks!

Wow, a month with some great work all around.

Orgmorg:

I probably think this everytime I see one of your builds, but I really think this is my favorite of this series of yours. I particularly like the shape on this one. There's a local builder in my area who's done a few Tele's with a similar vibe, but I like how really tie the details together with the makeshift hardware. The tailpiece is cool - I was looking through the Lee Valley hardware catalog, and after having seen your builds, it's making me realize how much stuff could be repurposed into guitar hardware.

Matt:

Everything about this guitar is wrong to me, ( I mean, as far as my personal taste in instruments goes, the build is great) and yet I love it! I like the simplicity of it as well. It looks so damn crisp. I'd love to throw a color like that on a more traditional shape.

Chops:

A really well executed build. Looks stellar. That said, the shape doesn't speak to me as much, but I like that you worked towards a different direction with a common design, without going way over the top. Like a lot of instruments, I think it probably looks cooler being played.

Hooglebug:

I voted for this one, I don't know quite why it spoke to me. It looks like the kind of guitar I would like to own, and I'm in love with the shape. I really love the chrome hardware on this. I understand others comments about the burst - and I feel somewhat the same way as I liked the natural wood so much, but I really think I like this look better in the end, although seeing the pictures in the build thread, I think I would have preferred a lighter bursting on the neck, if at all.

Mikro:

The construction that goes into these resonator things baffles me. Simply beautiful piece. I understand others comments about tailpieces, but I think the openness of this tailpiece allows the wood the "breathe" - not in a physical sense, but I think with a different tailpiece, the design would look too heavy. I really like the soundholes on both the body and the cone - you've made them visually interesting without being overpowering. All in all I think this is a really beautiful and rather unique job on an instrument that tends to be a limiting canvas.

Daniel:

I'm not sold on the blue, or the headstock shape, (I think I just don't care much for 6-on-a-side) but those are just my personal preferences. But I love this shape, and it's extremely well executed. Love the birdseye on the neck and the black between the neck and the binding. The whole thing looks classy without looking staid. Given Perry's comments about the accent line in the scarf joint I just feel kind of like a jerk having used a similar approach in the last bass I was working on. It hadn't even occurred to me that was probably where I saw it.

Avengers:

I'm liking this design. It's really neat watching you get better and better with each build. I'd really like to see you do something like this in a deep glossy lacquer, I but I understand the appeal of a matte natural finish too - just not my thing. I agree with other posters, I think I'd like to see this with a slightly different carve. I did similar carves on my first carved top - and it wasn't until I started doing an actual recarve on my padauk topped builds that I realized what visual difference it can make. This looks heck of comfortable to play. It's a great build, and given the speed at which you seem to be cranking these out right now, I wouldn't be surprised if we see an even better one of these down the line.

Swedish Luthier:

Wow, where'd this come from? Love the upper horn. There's a few changes I'd like to see to the overall shape, but I like this a lot. The golden color of the top is great. I think I'd like it better with white p'up rings. The carving makes what could be potentially clunky-looking horns very graceful.

Ormsby:

I can only reiterate what I said in the build thread, but once again, you've taken note of the subtle, almost unnoticable details, to really pull everything together and make this pop. While there are some obviously difficult (for the average builder) construction details on this one being a multiscale, I think it's always the attention to every little detail that makes your builds over the top, even when there's not something thats drastically screaming for your attentio. I've never been a huge fan of these types of finishes before, but I really think this one is amazingly well done, too.

(Is there any point in commenting on a Ormsby build? He doesn't need me to tell him it's good.)

I am having a lot of trouble whittling these down...I had a a shortlist of 10... :D

Actually...I have it down to 3 ATM...

Perry's is remarkable, not just because all of his guitars are stellar but this one appeals by contrasting the fan fret, scalloped board with a lovely simplicity that I love...and the touches like faking the grain outlines the details that can really make...

On the other hand...Mikro has had to combat 'difficulties' with this build that not only is a lovely acoustic but has some innovative reso touches that I have never seen before...I liked the tailpiece even...no need to over do it...

I really, really like the Deco though...a beautiful new shape and neck join, plus JohnH electronics done without clutter...

But as I say, as yet not decided. All are stellar, but these three really impressed me...remember none of the entries could be in better company...

Hey guys,

Excellent work on all the builds this month. I wish i had of worked out how to get on these forums ages ago, its great to see so many people from all over the world share their masterpieces.

Orgmorg: I really liked this build its just a work of art really. The way you worked the different parts and the whole theme behind the scales was great. The tailpiece and the p/up covers are great. How does she play and sound?

Metalmatt: Looks like a really nice build. Finish is neat and i like the single bridge p/up idea. Im into simple. Not a huge fan of the style of guitar but horses for courses.

Hooglebug: I like this guitar the more i look at it! Its quirky and cool. Love the finish and the chrome hardware. Probably a few too many p/up options for me, im simple. haha

Mikro: Cool resonator! Love the birdseye maple, Love the soundholes and i love the way the end of the fretboard floats over the body. Unreal!

Daniel: Wicked guitar mate. I could see myself playing this guitar. I think the body shape is great, vintage but metalish. The stripe in the back of the neck is a great idea. The only thing i would change is why no logo?

C.R.S: Looks like a good job. Couple more photos would of been good.

Avengers: I like the timber you used but its the same case as you with mine. The body is not my cup of tea. I think it is the horn. It looks abit odd to me but we obviously have different taste! :D Looks like a really neat built though good job.

Swedish: I really like the nortstar. Theres not much to say cause i dig this guitar and theres nothing i dont like about it. To answer your question, the inlay on the front of the Caro was to cover a Flaw. I joined the top with biscuits and hit one whilst i was shaping the top. It is My first guitar and ive learnt alot. Haha When i hit it though i almost s*** a brick! Its a "feature".

Perry: Top job as always mate. Love the timber!I don't think i could play it though but i sure enjoy watching saxon have a Pluck! Have you trademarked the multiscale? I also read that you don't have an apprentice, Id hit you up for a job but i live in yallingup. Oh well one can dream!

Ok...I made a decision...

I finally voted cause I wanted to see...in the end I voted for the kind of guitar that appealed to me, even if the finish and wood choices would have been completely different...I liked the "shape" as soon as I saw it...and I knew it wouldn't be in the winners circle this month and perry 'knew his wouldn't win', so I don't feel bad...

So the Deco got me. Personally I think It ended up way to dark...but it is the kind of guitar I would play.

I loved Mikro's Reso though...and I hope it wins...just thought the other deco could use some representation.

Perry doesn't need my encouragement...keep churning them out and entering...like to see some more straight ahead 6 string non-metal type machines from you... :D

All the other entries were more than worthy and hard as last month was, and the month before, etc...this one had ten stellar entries.

Orgmog: I love these rustic things...and fine an example as this is, I did vote for one way back and the competition is strong. One of the best things is that it might encourage others to step up even if they don't have the fancy timbers...and use a little more imagination. That said, it shouldn't be underestimated the skill put into the building of the neck or working with old and cupped timbers...or coming up with variations of these themes.

Metalmatt: Your guitars are improving and I like that you are toning down some of the "goth" pretentions in recent builds...last months was pointy but sparse and to the point... :D ...this one the lime green finish gives the gothic points and stuff an ironic twist...sure it's pointy, but it doesn't need to be black, in fact this color is more "in your face" than yet another black or wood guitar...keep them coming

Daniel: I loved the neck build details...but this design really doesn't do it for me and the dual cut even less than the single cut...but maybe it's just a personal preference, obviously great craftsmanship.

C.R.S: Hmmm....not enough pics, no build thread...another Jem...welcome to PG...you can see what you are up against!

Chops: Nice work...but the shape doesn't do it for me. Good to see some alternative Australian woods at play and things like teak...but it just isn't happening for me.

Swedish: Great craftsmanship...but the shape and design doesn't do it for me. A little too pretentious or something, it's hard to say, would work a lot better as a shape on a bass...just not for me...

Perry: You don't need a thousand words from me to know you know what you are doing...you may in fact need my vote to win because your guitars are too good!...but not this time as the multiscale and stuff isn't the kind of thing I would play. However...if the Deco I did vote for had been done with this kind of finish, it would have looked a lot better IMHO...

MiKro: A great build, great design...mentioned it in the post above...even the tailpiece was a good choice...I hope it wins for lots of reasons...but an acoustic beat me last time and this trend needs to be stamped out!!!

Hooglebug: Speaking of which...I like the design, the JohnH electronics is really well realized being spread out like that (I really like the stuff JH is doing and has helped me out a fair bit) and it isn't as "tricky" as people might think with all those options. I loved the shape and the neck join...the dark colour doesn't suit my tastes...but I can see it working as a standard design in so many diferent guises...and it is the kind of guitar I would play...plus, I suspect it needed a helping hand against the competition...so you got the vote!

Did I leave anyone out?

Oh Yeah...now I know you don't want people to hold back...so being a man of many words...here you go!

fullshot.jpg

Avengers: It is not happening for me and the competition is too strong. I liked the Dean Cadillac design when it came out, but they went all the way to bring home the ironies with all the LP binding and finishing with the explorer like horn and the outrageously oversized peghead with binding and stuff for days. You have taken it down to it's basic shape with added curves, and it isn't happening for me. At a distance, like many guitars...it looks brown (A colour most would not choose to paint on a guitar) and I do look at guitars not just close up, but at the distance I would see it across a room. Still...the grain follows the shape nicely and it does look comfortable like a satch sucked lozenge kind of way. No strap buttons and other details let it down also...the neck join as others have mentioned is square yet without a neck plate you had a lot of options...an AANJ would have been the obvious choice to attempt here. You might want to use a better screw on the back plate...better yet...look into using magnets to hold it on with no screws at all.

When you take in the full guitar as in the above...the body seems to hang off the end of the neck in some strange way...without an upper horn and the lower horn not having the more exaggerated outward 'reverse' extension of say an explorer or iceman, the neck seems to have been "added" to the design instead of being integral to it. It makes one wonder about balance also...but it may well be fine...if it had strap buttons!

As you and others will know...I encourage people to get hold of a neck and explore ideas...maybe even a whole guitar for that matter...no need to jump in over your head...but to be successful in this, you have to work with what you have got or modify it to suit. In this case, the headstock simply does not suit this body shape or guitar. It might have with modifications, a change to the shape to more mirror the lower horn perhaps, a veneer of the body wood to the head face to bring the elements together... a little modification around the neck joint since you are using ferrules which would have helped the body too. The same criticisms would have been put to boggs last month with the tele head on the violin shape...part of the skill of working with salvaged necks is to use what you have got into a successful design...it takes more than making an nice body and relying on the timber to carry it through, it is about the total package and the detail.

Still with every one and all this practice, they are getting better...but look at the whole guitar and what you are working with and design to that, avoid shortcuts and keep honing down the details...

Enough? B)

Anyway...all guitars again, top notch. After so many months like this could it be that everyone is holding back for december...or are people working on their christmas themed machines?

pete

Edited by psw

I know...but the thread was closed last time and I didn't get to leave any comments...and I entered!

Plus...it is a rare treat indeed that I comment at all in GOTM...possibly for good reason...

That is 50,000 words...it's been edited down!