The Plywood Discussion

Well, it's an attempt to duplicate a material that was manufactured quite possibly a long time before 1963 (when the RS was completed). The blockboard would most likely have been manufactured in the UK with relatively low-tech behind it. Probably not far off what we're capable of! Chances are the glue was some urea-formaldehyde crap though, so yeah....Titebond methinks! Wouldn't go to those lengths of "accuracy".

Modern commercial blockboard is probably not very consistent or even dimensionally stable.

I know I got the bright idea to use an old cutting board for a bandsaw fence... a week later it was crooked. When I went to throw it out it broke when it hit the can... I am just saying.

And you are the Rocket Scientist.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

specifically to make my own Red Specials.

dude, Ive recently drawm up some RS plans in CAD if you want a copy? Dont know how far along you are with plans for an RS build but if it would be any use then let me know. BTW, IM the guy who fit most of your tools into the boot of a civic :D

I would be interested in knowing what composite you go with to use in place of the blockboard.

Thanks Sam! Well, I'd definitely be interested in seeing them sometime as part of my research and comparison work. I plan on taking the whole project back down to basics, and re-researching all the info and specs to shake up the dust out of the "facts", some of which seem a little...wrong...have a look in on what I'm doing when I launch it all, okay?

I recently read an article in some woodworking magazine about strengthening butcher block designs using tenons. Not sure you want to go through all that effort - but maximizing glue surface is never really a bad idea.

True. It's not really a structural component, so the most I'd bother to do would be a rabbet joint. It really depends if I even have a router table when I kick it all off :-\

I pretty much just have a tape measure and a hammer right now, or at least it feels that way.

The butcher block worktop my Aunt Helga has around her kitchen is a beaut - finger joints on all the endgrain butts :-) I can't imagine it would be a very economical use of material doing it along the lengths though.