New Hiscock Book

Cool! I just got the Kinkead acoustic book recently, but I would love to have as many resources as possible when I finally get around to doing my first acoustic. Once this comes out, I would love to hear some reviews about it.

Pretty cool! Melvyn did a great job with his electric book, I expect this one will be equally good.

I have Cumpiano's acoustic book in which he builds both a steel string and a classical, and it is great, but in the book he does not build using a mold for the rims - although he actually does now. So it is maybe a little different from how most folks are building.

what a great find. I have hiscock's electric book and i thought it was a great resource. I also have Kinkead's acoustic book and found it to be a decent resource.. but i found there to be a lot of misinformation and calculation errors, as well as dated techniques that i dont think most people use anymore. However the pictures are great and there is still a lot of good information.

Pariah, could you explain a little more what you mean about the Kinkead book? I have heard that the Cumpiano's book is a little outdated, but the Kinkead book is pretty new. What do you mean there is misinformation and calculation errors? Any advice would be appreciated. I am trying to learn as much about acoustics as possible, and Kinkead's book is all I have to go on so far (and the OLF).

Pariah, could you explain a little more what you mean about the Kinkead book? I have heard that the Cumpiano's book is a little outdated, but the Kinkead book is pretty new. What do you mean there is misinformation and calculation errors? Any advice would be appreciated. I am trying to learn as much about acoustics as possible, and Kinkead's book is all I have to go on so far (and the OLF).

I wouldn't write off the Cumpiano book. It's very thorough (except for a few small things which I think were left out), and you can adjust for different techniques. It's a very informative and conversational book.

the kinkeade book is great purely for all the colour photo's. Is a bit like the benedetto book in that it can be over simplified in some aspects... the cumpiano book goes the opposite direction and it so thorough it could put you off ever starting. Both great in there own way

be good to see what melvyn comes up with, i really hope he goes for colour photography as it does make a huge difference

There are just a bunch of little errors here and there that if your not paying attention to what your doing or reading.. will mess you up. The funniest error i noticed in the book is his dimensions for the dovetail.. says to make it 22 inches tall.. that would be some sight haha. Its not a bad book by any means.. it got me through my first guitar and i still turn to it for reference.. I just warn you to really think about every thing you do and before you take on a process... make sure your read the whole chapter. Sounds like obvious enough advice but it can be easy to see the nice pictures, see how easy and clean he makes it look.. try it, and realize you didnt read the paragraph on the NEXT page that tells you to leave an extra inch around the border. Great book but i would wwait to see what hiscock's book has to offer and how it reviews since its only a few weeks away.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments.

Firstly the book is 288 pages, all in colour and has been delayed a few times due to things like becoming single and stuff. Also since i am the publisher as well as the author I have to find al the money and time to do everything.

BUT

It is finished, there is a chapter on a Martin Factory visit that is at Martin for approval (only fair really, they were very helpful) and I am waiting colour proofs before the whole thing goes to print.

This should be all done in a week or so and then about four weeks until I see copies.

Don't believe what you read on Amazon, I have no contact with them whatsoever and so have no idea where they get their information!

Thanks for your patience those of you that have been waiting

Melvyn

Firstly the book is 288 pages, all in colour

YAY!

and has been delayed a few times

Boo.

due to things like becoming single and stuff.

Ouch. Commiserations.

It is finished, there is a chapter on a Martin Factory visit that is at Martin for approval (only fair really, they were very helpful) and I am waiting colour proofs before the whole thing goes to print.

This should be all done in a week or so and then about four weeks until I see copies.

Fantastic news. I await it with baited breath and itchy fingers.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't forget the Irving Sloane, Steel String Guitar Construction.

It's what many learned with.

Basic techniques that will save you so much money.

I still refer to this book.

Don't worry about the post being two years old.

Good luck,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just to let you all know the stock arrived and I am shipping. I don't know when Amazon will have it as I don't actually supply them (they undercut me too much) but my American distributor is IPG in Chicago. You can order the book through any bookstore using the ISBN no which is 9780953104925, the publisher is NBS Publications

In the UK you can order direct. Contact me on sales@melvynhiscock.com

Sorry if this counts as a commercial ad.