help lil' snorkie post section

Snork

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally thought the core wood made the tone, not the (really thin) laminate tops. Hence the reason Warmoth did this.

That's what I was thinking about when I initially asked Snork that question about his working with acrylic. So I see somebody has come up with it before me once again...dang I reckon I'll never be rich and famous then? Nevermind, just rich would be enough, you can buy fame if you are rich...

so long

ace

direct coupling means you press the pickups into the wood with as much of the back of the pickup touching wood as possible....

Hmmm.......do you mean that you push them down hard to actually create an impression in the wood and then secure with screws?

How do you account for the distance between the pup and the strings, rout fairly shallow for the pickup and then adjust at the bridge? (im assuming the idea of direct coupling is that you dont use things like shims to raise the pickups at all)

I asked this question a little way back, but then the whole snork thing happened and i forgot i'd even asked the question, fool am i :D

Hate to say it but having the most post doesn't make you any better at building guitars.. But it does fill up Brians message board with alot of clutter... Building guitars makes you better at building guitars.. If you ask 50 questions and don't apply them then your not learning.. and you won't likely remember what you learned anyway....I used to post all the time, but I found out I didn't learn anything talking, but by listening... No offense to anyone.. It's just when you post 80 something post a day, you can bet that your not learning as much as you could be... There I gave you my 2 cents worth.. Throw 'em in the ditch if ya don't like em.. lol... B)

Now as far as the Direct Coupling goes, I think it's a good thing, but Ed Roman does make it more glorious than it should be.. but wait.. let's think.. that's how Ed builds his guitars so I figured he'd build that technique up anyway.. :D

I don't have anything against Ed Roman, just that everyone has their own opinions. The more you question things the more likely you'll find a closer truth. That's all I meant by that, just don't take anyones word as fact, cause believe it or not, everyone has their own vision of how guitars should look and sound. Actually Ed has alot of great information.

Wish ya good luck on your current project, and look forward to seeing some great pictures of your work in the future. Sorry if I seemed like I was coming down on you real hard, but actually I was talking about myself as much as anyone.

As the grandaddy woodchopper said to the grandson woodchopper:

"You're sure doin' a whole lotta choppin' there boy, ...but I don't see no chips 'a flyin"...

Or as the Indian Medicine Man said to the young Indian warrior, both staring into the flames of a nighttime fire:

"You can dance around the edge of the flames and feel the warmth of the heat, or you can walk directly into the fire and be forever changed"

:D Eeeeeewwwwwww, doesn't that sound DEEP? B)