Automatic Shut-off Table Saw

RAI6

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine has the cabinet saw version. The safety factor is awesome, but beyond that, it's also a very nice saw. I don't see myself getting a table saw for a long time, but when I finally do, it will be a SawStop.

My friend is a lawyer, and he feels that now that this technology exists, the other saw manufacturers are just a few lawsuits away from being forced to license the technology and use it in their own saws.

Edited by fookgub

I'm glad to see that riving knives are finally standard equipment on so many saws, as well.

I'm just heck of scared of table saws - I've seen kickback throw pieces of wood across a shop, and met enough woodworkers with missing or partially missing digits to be wary of 'em.

I see that the real-life demonstration was the dude edging his finger towards the blade a smidgeon at a time, whereas in a real situation, you'd be moving it at up to a foot per second. I wonder if "normal" blades can take those 1000G of deceleration, or whether they're made for the purpose.

Now we need chicken bullets which turn into a rosey scent of fresh air if they just as much as hit a salty human or friendly dude animal. Or safety beer, which de-alcoholises when you've had too much but are too far gone to admit it :-D

I see that the real-life demonstration was the dude edging his finger towards the blade a smidgeon at a time, whereas in a real situation, you'd be moving it at up to a foot per second. I wonder if "normal" blades can take those 1000G of deceleration, or whether they're made for the purpose.

Here's a demo at normal speed:

You can use any blade you want, but tripping the mechanism ruins the blade. You also have to replace the brake. Personally, I'd rather be out about $200 than one of my fingers. The idea is that you never want to have to use this safety feature, but it's there if/when you need it. Kind of like airbags, I suppose.

Edited by fookgub

You can use any blade you want, but tripping the mechanism ruins the blade. You also have to replace the brake. Personally, I'd rather be out about $200 than one of my fingers. The idea is that you never want to have to use this safety feature, but it's there if/when you need it. Kind of like airbags, I suppose.

In that example, it took a pretty big chunk out of the hot dog. It's not losing a finger, but man, that would still be a mess!

I personally wouldn't drive a car with the airbag on a hair trigger, especially if it ruined my brakes when it went off in my face :-D

I personally wouldn't drive a car with the airbag on a hair trigger, especially if it ruined my brakes when it went off in my face :-D

Reasonable, because an airbag could hurt you or cause an accident. the brake on this saw can only ruin a blade, and if you want to turn the feature off to saw wet wood, you can.

As a physician who saw too many tablesaw, shaper, jointer injuries back when I used to work in the ER, I can vouch for the cost effectiveness of this if it protects you one out of ten times it fires. You get a bad cut, but the injuries are soooooo much less severe than they would be without the brake.

The only reason it's not the only saw on my list is that I like sliding tables.

Todd

They also have a chopsaw and bandsaw coming out.

http://www.sawstop.com/products-future-products.htm

hmm... bandsaws are pretty safe as far a power saws are concerned. They should be working on a SawStop jointer... talk about a finger muncher.

In that example, it took a pretty big chunk out of the hot dog. It's not losing a finger, but man, that would still be a mess!

I would much rather have the mess lol. I bet my dad would rather have had the mess hat would heal instead of just part of it that he has now.