Entry for October 2019's Guitar Of The Month is now open!
ENTER HERE

Lex Luthier

Pictorial of 5-string fretless bass being built.

ouuuuuu, very nice recovery on that one! i can't even find the glue line

...can't even find the glue line

On the front - NO

On the back - SORTA

The front is the important part, though.

FINALLY Started working on the body:

I sanded the blank a bit, and traced out the body.

blank.jpg

The rough cut body.

roughbody.jpg

Here is how I achieve the final body shape with my router.

bodysetup.jpg

Here is the finished body.

bodycut.jpg

I left these areas untouched by the router, because I know from experience these areas like to bust-out on the router. I'll profile them on my sander.

bodycut2.jpg

Even PRS Uses "Ears" on their headstocks. It's a feature not a flaw :D

true, but the key word there is ear"S", he only has one on the right side of the neck, so if there was a visible glue line on only one side of the headstock it would look a little don't ya think? but lex did a great job B)

true, but the key word there is ear"S", he only has one on the right side of the neck, so if there was a visible glue line on only one side of the headstock it would look a little don't ya think? but lex did a great jobĀ 

I agree. I built a guitar a while ago with 1 ear glued on for a reveresed headstock. It doesn't bother me too much but I would never feel right about selling it. To most players, seeing the line from the playing position is not going to be received well. I think if it were a non-reversed headstock and the line was not as visible it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

So there's and ear glued on that instrument somewhere? Hard to see if it is there. Very nice job.

:D lol that neck looks so hudge, but then again i'm not a base player, looking good!! B)

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Great bass. Excellent grain matching on the recovery. Lookin great.

spectacular!

great stuff

:D

:D looks like fullserve is down, hope it's only for an short upgrade or something

:D looks like fullserve is down, hope it's only for an short upgrade or something

All the pictures seem to be working now.

ya, they were when i was going to bed, must have just been a server reboot or something

I have the neck shaped right now, but my pichoster is being funny, so pics will be uploaded later.

I first roughed out the neck on the drum of my edge belt sander. I carved out large area of material at about a 45* angle on both sides of the neck with a 60grit sanding belt, then thicknessed the back of the neck to where I thought it was good. I then basically went back and fourth across the drum of the sander rotating the neck every time I took a pass. Once I had the rough shape, I switched to an 80grit belt and I began to shape the heels. I traced the profile of the heel of the body with the neck in the neck pocket to get a perfect reference for the neck joint heel on the neck. I then switched to a 120grit belt and just took off more material as I saw fit, based on feel. I am now going to hand sand with 120grit sandpaper, and if there is anything I don't like, I go back to the sander with a 120grit belt.

Okay, PICS!

These are the roughed out neck, you can see I carved out lots of material from the corners and thicknessed the beck of the neck.

neck1.jpg

neck2.jpg

I have begun going back and fourth across the drum of the sander, rounding the back of the neck

neck3.jpg

neck4.jpg

I have rounded it some more, and shaped the heels

neck5.jpg

neck6.jpg

This is how it looks now, shaped and rounded with a 120grit belt. It's now ready for handsanding with 120grit.

neck7.jpg

neck8.jpg