Entry for October 2019's Guitar Of The Month is now open!
ENTER HERE

Lex Luthier

Pictorial of 5-string fretless bass being built.

haha novax. They look all twisty.

Matt, I don't want to pull things far off track, so read my post in your new bass thread over in In Progress...

Hi Lex Luthier :D :

:D Congratulatios by this beautiful bass!!! Looks amazing. :D ... This finish is the wish to my project.... Just some doubts... How laquer coats apply in the body and neck?, How is felling in the rear of the neck and about the sound?, What kind of care requiers this natural finish? .. thanks....

Congratulations again :D .... Natural killer bass!!!!

Bye!! B)

Kurt76,

I applied the lacquer with a spray gun. I only applied it to the body, I put an oil finish on the neck. To care for the finish you should probably wipe it down to keep it clean. The neck should probably be oiled once in a while I guess. It's sounds quite nice. It "growls" very nicely I was told.

Thanks by the info, Lex Luthier! :D

question about the fanned fretless thing. as a bass player, i see no reason to do that...

why would one do it? does it feel better ergonomically? does it help to shorten the overall length?

and what about the tension and thickness of the higher strings? how is that affected?

I'd love to put a fanned fret system onto my guitar, and their $75 lisence seems more than reasonable for a commercial luthier. I wonder what the logistics of making my own 'fanned fret' fretboard would be? I don't know if I'd try it with one of my first guitars, but for the future-- wouldn't it really just be a matter of setting the low E to 25.5 or 26" scale, the high E to 24.5 or so (numbers just off the top of my head, I'd have to look into it a bit more carefully), and connecting the dots?

I don't mean that to sound like it's a simple thing-- making the jigs, doing the calculations, etc. would certainly be intensive and I imagine I'd do a fair job of botching it up. But in theory, wouldn't that work?

I'll post a theory in a new thread. Don't wanna hijack this one. :D

It's a cool idea, but how do you calculate scale lengths for the middle strings?

They would just happen...if that makes any sence. Say, for example, I make a bass with the bass side fanned to 35", and the treble side is 34", if it's a five string the middle string would automatically be 34.5". Not sure if I'll do this, as I really don't wanna cut fret slots anymore, 'cause LMI can slot then for you, just not fanned...I'd do it on a fretless though, but that may make it really weird to play...

Visit My Website

Unfortunately, the super cool free pic hoster crapped out on us a little while ago. I have most of the pics up on my new site, linked at the bottom of the page. What I mean by most is some of the pics were kind of redundant, so I got rid of some, and there are no descriptions with the pics, but you still get the idea looking through just pictures.

Bass building pictorial.