Entry for May 2018's Guitar Of The Month contest is open!
ENTER HERE!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kpcrash

Douglas Fir As Neck?

Someone just stopped by and dropped off two beautiful pieces of douglas fir. Knot free, quite straight 3/4"X3 3/4"X3/4" perfect to sandwich together, but I'm not sure I've heard of fir as the basis for a neck?? Thoughts?

i am sure melvyn hiscock said something around here about experimenting with douglas fir!!... was it melvyn or am i imagining the whole thing :?

I am humbled by your mastery of the search as I couldn't find anything. Thanks!!!!!! As these pieces are 6' long... perhaps a neck through is in order.

I am humbled by your mastery of the search as I couldn't find anything. Thanks!!!!!! As these pieces are 6' long... perhaps a neck through is in order.

Or... more than one neck. :D That's what I would do.

I love Doug Fir. Great wood if you find a good bit. Watch out for pieces with sap oozing, it can keep doing that for years and make finishing tough. Doug Fir also varies quite a bit in terms of stiffness. If you get a good stiff piece it is amazing, and quite resonant.

Thanks! I got an early Christmas present of 2 new 10" 60 T table saw blades, perhaps I'll make a neck or two out of this just to see if the blades work :D