Guitar Of The Month For January

Guitar of the Month for January  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

woo hoo!! first vote :D

wix - i love the shaping/contours on this thing - very nice work. Not sure i am a fan of the extended lower horn and i would have liked to see it from the back

Bluesy - i do love tele's but personally i think the pearloid on white is a bit too much. also wondering what the brass (??) plate is either side of the bridge- is it a fix or a feature?? looks good though - i always lean towards tele's for the guitars i play

scottyD - i love it so voted for it, very natural and woody without looking overly woody.. not sure what i am trying say there other than i think you got the aesthetic balance of the woods spot on... not so sure about the strap button placement and the cavity covers straight edges and big bolts

Davo - very clean and professional looking, possibly a little too commercial for my tastes... i suppose thats a double edged sword - its good enough that it wouldnt look out of place in a shop... but so much so i might walk straight past it unless specifically looking for a 7 string

HuntinDoug -- its complete awesomeness... but at the same time i get the feeling we have a lot better coming our way. I think picking a theme and going all the way with it works best and there are a couple of small touches that seem out of place on this like the use of a strat neck with a rounded end and standard headstock.. cant wait to go nuclear though as i think that will get my vote if you enter it

Me - well its hard to take a good picture of it but luckily the guy that owns it is doing a photography course. some people say they prefer the front to the back, personally i am very happy with the carving.. i think if i do another i may mess with the lower cutaway a bit more

bigD - It should say Big D on the headstock!! but it looks well done and i do like a nice blackburst.. i nearly voted for it actually but i think the relcing should have either been non-existent or the whole theme of the guitar should have been a bit more vintage spec

peterbrown - the workmanship and woods are really quite special. i really like the shape as well but am not so keen on the placement of the neck and bridge... if all that was moved forward so the bridge was more central on the body and fret acces was improved i think it would look awesome - a bit more like a les paul but different enough to grab attention

Boggs - i am not sure i get this shape yet, but if its like your other ones i should come around after seeing it a few times... i certainly like the woods and funky pickups - i had some vintage vibes a few years ago and was very happy with them

Had to give my vote to WezV, looks like something I would love to play and being that he put the parallel fret at about the 6th or 7th I could still chord around on it (which is about all I can do with a guitar :D ), very ergo and comfy looking, warming woods with all of my favorites thrown in there. Hey Wez thems there bass building woods! B):D

Edited by scottyd

This came down to three for me:

Davo's SPAR7AN- Really, really professional looking to the point of being too much so. Nothing really sets it off too much, but non-the-less I really love it. Its simple, minimalistic but powerful.

ScottyD's Time Flys- Really nice look of contrasting woods, but you still keep it simple; not at all gaudy looking like some guitars using 20,000 laminations of over the top wood look. Only thing about it that I don't really dig is the backplate. Seems to bulky for me, going all the way to the edge like that.

WezV's VOCIFERATOR!!! (I believe the exclamations are definitely necessary here :D )- Really clean and once again simple but powerful. Its so chocolaty dark and smooth, the carving job is fantastic. I'm also a big fan of the multi-scale concept and would love to try one out, and the pickup choice with that black enamel cover really goes great with the guitar.

This is tough... I think I'm going to have to go with Davo's because I really like the professionalism of it, specially for a first build. And I'm quite a sucker for 7-strings.

WIX: The body shape.... it doesn't do it for me. It's the trebel horn. There's a whoooooole lotta horn there.

BLUSEY: I relaay dig it. Tone on tone is hard to pull off, but the white pearl works very well. I'm not a fan of mixing the metals - chrome & gold together - and the ring on the neck pup on top of the p/g is really odd. Other than that it looks really nice.

SCOTTYD: Like every month, your basses are realy nice, but there's nothing that jumps out at me. Were I to nit-pick, I'd say the face looks a bit monotone with the top, pup covers, and knobs all having virtually the same color.

DAVO: Normally I don't like 7 & 8 string guitars. However... you get my vote this month. It's the strong, simple elegance of the whole thing. The acoustic-like binding around the neck join is what pushed it over the top for me.

HUNTINDOUG: If this were done by hand, I'd be a lot more impressed. That you have a CNC machine really takes some of it away for me. That's not to say it isn't pretty cool - it is. But for a home-made guitar contest..... it'd take something really over the top to get my attention. I sincerely hope this comes over the right way.

WEZ: I LOVE the body shape. The carve/bevels came out great. Maybe it's the pics, but it just looks too dark for me. I wanted to vote for you, but since we only have pics to go from, you had to come in 2nd for me. Sorry dude.

BIGDGUITARS: Yep. Thaaaaat's a Les Paul. I don't know what else to say. It looks really authentic.

PETERBROWN: That's some nice inlay & engraving work there. I like the color contrast in the wood, too.

BOGGS: The woods are beautiful. But... I'm not sold on a strat headstock with the body, and the body shape around the butt isn't doing it for me.

Edited by avengers63

but since we only have pics to go from

fairly sure i inlcuded a soundclip too dude, let me know if it doesnt work

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cf...p;content=music

anyway, i wouldnt criticise doug for using cnc - it still comes down to having some vision and pulling it alltogther which is why i think i will be voting for doug once we see more of his current work... this one seems more like a stepping stone, as cool as it is we know better is coming!!... and lets not forget that paduak disc logo on my guitar is straight from dougs laser cutter

but since we only have pics to go from

fairly sure i inlcuded a soundclip too dude, let me know if it doesnt work

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cf...p;content=music

anyway, i wouldnt criticise doug for using cnc - it still comes down to having some vision and pulling it alltogther which is why i think i will be voting for doug once we see more of his current work... this one seems more like a stepping stone, as cool as it is we know better is coming!!... and lets not forget that paduak disc logo on my guitar is straight from dougs laser cutter

I must have missed the clip. I haven't been as active here lately as I'd like to be. :D

Don't get me wrong - I'm 100% in favor of using whatever tools are available to get the job done. I know it's a little hypocritical to go both ways on the exact same subject, but.... I don't know. I can't put it into words exactly. It just isn't as impressive to me to CNC an intricate design like that as it would be to do it by hand. you're right though - he had the vision, tools, and ability to pull it all together. Had I the same resources available to me I'd do the same thing, so in that regard who am I to judge.

I hope I don't sound like an overcritical hypocrite. I just really can't put it all into words properly. Oh, but to be Pete for 5 minutes. :D

Guys.....It's all good :D A lot of cool builds this month. I ended up voting for Wez on this one. That neck looks to be as smooth as silk.

As far as my build goes... The body was cut out on a band saw, shaped by hand with files, and the pup routs, control cav & neck pocket rout were done the old fashion way B) I drew the artwork in a CAD program, and of course the flames were done on the laser. I almost didnt enter it. I'm not at all happy with the neck. I have a replacement neck in the works. Like I said in the build thread, I should have stuck to the original plan...Oh well. :D

CNC or hand made makes no difference to me...we all know that the finishing touches are what makes a guitar most impressive,and the cnc only gets you a rough start that you need to tweak by hand as far as I know...

I think the cnc is a great tool to bring what is in your head out into the real world....and I have seen enough cnc CRAP in the past to know that it is not the machine that does the work,it is the guy behind it...

I coulda been a contender! STELLLLLLAAAAA!!!! I got a guitar finished but the final touches need something to be desired, namely, taking decent pictures of the damn thing. Presentation IS one of the most important aspects of showing your work. Lousy pictures just don't do it for me, so don't bother I won't look very hard. The best lighting, angles, backdrop etc. as well as attention to detail (not only in the workmanship but also in SHOWING it) as well as not showing (hiding???) those flaws (Gawd forbid!) that hopefully, can only be seen upon closer inspection and only the builder is aware of anyway.

WezV, you got my vote, that guitar looks cool and I'll bet it plays cool too. I dunno, the fanned-fret, multiscale (whatever ya wanna call it these days) has not shown up in any stores in my neighborhood AT ALL. I've never held one in my hands and played it and when I've asked those sales lackies about them all I get is "Huh!!?" So I guess the only way to find out is to build one. BTW, the rest of yous guys? You suck...nawwwwww just kidding! :D All nicely done but those original lines on the Vociferator (gonna have to find a dictionary) put it over the top. T'would look even better in a voodoo finish, but what can ya do?

And, MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

Good showing all around. Here are my two favorites:

scottyd - Absolutely lovely! I love the woods and general aesthetic. Great workmanship!

WezV - Holy crap! This one is pretty darn cool. It manages to pull off odd, cool, and pretty all at the same time. I like the woods, and the design work especially well with them. This isn't something I'd normally go for, but I'm really gravitating toward it. Great job!

It was a tough choice, but WezV's build is really cool! Congrats!

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy

Vociferator (gonna have to find a dictionary)

it comes from the word vociferate - which basically means crying out in anger.

the guy that has it chose the name - all i said is that i would prefer it starting with a V. i Vetoed Violator as the 'wez venables violator' did not sound good to me :D the other options were veni vidi vici which translates as 'i came, i saw, i conquered' which also led us down the pathe of 'veni, vidi, veni' - which i assume must be 'i came, i saw, i came' :DB)

Some thoughts here:

Wix: I like it. A lot! It is off the beaten track for sure. It also looks like a clean and well executed build. It almost got my vote

Bluesy: I also love Teles, but this one doesn't really make it for me. It is the combination of the gold and chrome hardware that doesn’t make it for me. And I think that you should have corrected the small errors in a more traditional way (new pickguard and fill and respray the body@the bridge). But the colour is great and the white body/black binding look great together with the black third layer of the pickguard.

Scottyd: As always, great wood and great craftsmanship. Not a fan of the big control cavity covers thou.

Davo: Great looking guitar. You should have paid a bit more attention to the details like the sanded through binding. Next time plan ahead and you will not have that problem...and maybe a GOTM

HuntinDoug: Great looking guitar but I would have preferred a unique design for the head. That would have gained more of my attention.

WezW: Great build. Lice curves and carves and everything. A bit too dark for me (or it might be the pictures). A close winner for me

BigD: You got my vote. It is a NOS head plate and fret boards so it should say Gibson on the headstock as long as you make some note on the guitar that it is not a genuine one. Makes me sad I passed on that 74 NOS Hagstrom complete neck I got an offer to buy a few months ago. Might have been really fun to do something similar from that...

Peterbrown: Looking nice, but I agree that the bridge/neck placement looks a bit off. I also think that the inlays (star on the fretboard and dragon fly on the head) is a bit too big. But a nice entry anyway

Boggs: This one looks better that the other model you make. I still think that, like Dough, you should develop a headstock design that is truly unique. That would give more points from me anyway...

But over all not one guitar that I didn’t like at all. Another great month!