"luthier" Vise - Great Price

Hydrogeoman

If you've got a local Woodcraft Supply, you could avoid shipping by buying this same patternmaker's vise there. You could also check it out first and decide if it's worth the money. Maybe they'd let you weed through 'em.

I once put a want ad on Craigslist for this kind of vise, but that went nowhere. But I'm pretty sure someone on another forum said they bought one through craigslist.

I have to admit though, some of the things I see done with this vise with guitar building/ repair makes me laugh. I'm talkin' "why the heck would you need the guitar held in THAT position ?"

I had seen that vice sometime ago on the site. I even had it bookmarked, telling myself that if I get in the market for one I will try this one over the Stewmac product. When I saw the OP i ordered one, came in yesterday.

Initial inspection confirms some of the things that you will need to do to get it shop ready; some cleaning/sanding/painting, adding washers, new jaw pads etc.

For the price (got it for $55 including shipping) it is a great addition to my workspace. It will be used. Oh yes, it will be used.

I've been using mine already. With 6" x 8" piece of poplar clamped up as a makeshift laptop table, among other things. :D

That trick I came up with, where I spin the jaws around and can then clamp a 12" wide panel, became very handy when I had a back problem and wanted to avoid bending over for a few days. I had to sort through some small parts, so I just used the panel clamped in the vise as a table to sort through the parts and was able to keep my back straight.

I also realized that one of those wooden wheels off some junked patio furniture makes a great added spacer to get the vise raised up about another 2". Had a center hole already in it, of course.

I have two different holes in my benchtop for mounting the vise, depending on what I'm using it for (well, since that "benchtop" is actually an old solid-core door, one of the holes is where the door knob used to be (then another 3/4" hole I drilled near the corner)

Harbor Freight should have offered these vises. I think plenty of average DIY/ "woodworking" guys would have bought one.

Popular Mechanics Magazine even listed this vise as one of their favorites.

Hmmm, what else ? Ok, I like to store all my extra small rubber-bands on the handle of this vise and also keep magnets stuck on it, so I know where they are. But I have also stuck useless refrigerator magnets on the rails.

Somebody please steal my vise before I come up with something else.

Soap you should get togeter with Dan and come up with a few more uses, Ha.

Hey what do you change on yours?