Wagner Safe-t Plane

Claptonfreak

Has anyone ever used the Wagner Safe-T Plane? I'm considering buying it to plane down Strat headstocks.

Have you considered just setting up a router jig to do it? It would be free and from the sounds of it safer if all your using it for is strat headstocks, could be a little time consuming for other stuff.

Well, I never really thought of building a jig to do it because I assumed that the plane worked quite well, but from what I'm reading it's not that great. I'll probably design some kind of jig or system to do this quickly and neatly.

I did a headstock today and took a few pics. The jig takes 3 minutes maybe to make, I'm thinking of making a permanent one though since I build one of these like once a week at least. I used to use a jointer for the headstocks but it's too easy for it to chip and this only takes a couple minutes longer. It's also great for backplates and veneers since my planer is a hand feed one it's a lot of work to use it for something this small. I use doublestick to stick the neck down and use a 3/4" bit since it's the biggest I have.

IMG_2852.jpg

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr266/g...er/IMG_2853.jpg

Man, that's a great idea. Thanks! :D

Has anyone ever used the Wagner Safe-T Plane? I'm considering buying it to plane down Strat headstocks.

Have you considered just setting up a router jig to do it? It would be free and from the sounds of it safer if all your using it for is strat headstocks, could be a little time consuming for other stuff.

Well, I never really thought of building a jig to do it because I assumed that the plane worked quite well, but from what I'm reading it's not that great. I'll probably design some kind of jig or system to do this quickly and neatly.

I did a headstock today and took a few pics. The jig takes 3 minutes maybe to make, I'm thinking of making a permanent one though since I build one of these like once a week at least. I used to use a jointer for the headstocks but it's too easy for it to chip and this only takes a couple minutes longer. It's also great for backplates and veneers since my planer is a hand feed one it's a lot of work to use it for something this small. I use doublestick to stick the neck down and use a 3/4" bit since it's the biggest I have.

IMG_2852.jpg

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr266/g...er/IMG_2853.jpg

Man, that's a great idea. Thanks! :D

I think you need a decent drill press to use the safety planner. Then you have to set it up properly, and then you have to have hold downs for the wood. I also have an enclosed vacume system for mine. It works well, but additional sanding will be needed. I run mine at top speed on my sears drill press 3500 I think. I like it, but you have to do alot of test runs on woods to get used to it, and to see what to expect, and to fine tune it. Then it will be your friend. A dust trapping contraption also keeps fingers away from the blade, yes, it can bite you! I think its great to thin down thick side sets to close, then I still have them thickness sanded, but it costs alot less. You do have to 'build another jig' to get it going though.

I am 'planning' on making an adjustable jig (4") to plane thicker boards with it.