• Daniel Sorbera - SA Auditorium acoustic
    • Jaden - Proto Shadow
    • Simo - 'MK5 - 5 String Bass'
    • low end fuzz - G-bass
    • metz guitar pain... - the Retro Rocket
    • Daniel Sorbera - Nova neck through
    • RFR - the WB

This poll is closed to new votes

I voted for Daniel's Nova neck through. It's just so simple and clean and well made. I don't usually like the look of mahogany that much but that guitar is enough to change my mind.

Simo's MK5: I think there is a very good chance of this one winning and it's a nice guitar. But un-dyed/stained maple is not really my thing. Awsome guitar none the less

ScottyD

Aesthetically, there is very little about this bass that does anything for me. The one thing that stands out are the laminates. I LOVE the way the pinstripe is revealed on the back contouring. I also really enjoy the laminating on the pup covers.

Avengers63

:D

Daniel Sorbera

I really dig the rosette inlay. It must have been a real pain to get perfect. There's something really classy about the headstock. I can't put my finger on it, but it's really nice. I've never heard a limba acoustic - how's the sound?

Jaden

Very clean, very streamlined. Maybe a little bit too simple though. This one says "I'm meant to be played, not looked at." I'm surprised and impressed that you'd do a French polish on a guitar knowing that it's going to get banged up. That's a really labor intensive finish for a guitar.

Simo

I don't care for the long, straight horn. I understand the balance issues and why it needs to be out that far, but it just doesn't look right somehow. Maybe because it's straight. I DO like the roundness of it. Quilted maple is a favorite of mine, so that helps the overall look for me. The black pinstripe is a nice touch. It really helps separate the similarly-colored woods without taking away from anything.

Low End Fuzz

I can see that lot of time went into this bass. There are a LOT of laminates there. I applaud you for putting that much time and effort into it. But... (you knew it was coming, didn't you?) there's just too much going on. Too many different things with too many woods and no consistent theme. You have alder, walnut, padauk, basswood, maple, bloodwood, ebony, and purpleheart. You have a bold racing stripe on the forearm bevel, stripes on the headstock (that are VERY well done) that don't match, some other stuff on the back of the neck with an extra piece in the scarf that's been ""outlined", and an inlaid pickguard. Had you taken any one of these themes and run with it throughout the bass, it would have been great. As is, it's just too much.

On the good side, the laminating and extra details all look GREAT individually. The attention to detail and precise, smooth lines all seem perfect when looked at one at a time. And I like the idea of an inlaid pickguard. I hope it's on there with magnets instead of glued in.

Metz

I like the shape. It reminds me of a discontinued Gibson shape whose name escapes me right now. But that paint... It's really... intense. I'm not a fan of monochrome anything.

Daniel Sorbera

Two in one month. Gutsy. Shooting yourself in the foot a little, too. The square edges and front/back binding look really nice. Despite that little bit of bling, it says "I'm a player", just like Jaden's. It's probably the matte finish w/o a grainfill. It still looks raw.

RFR

This is the month for unadorned, basic finishes, isn't it? I've never seen the point of the "Nashville Tele". If you wanted a Strat, get a Strat, not a Tele. Apparently, that's just me. :D Anyway, you always make a really clean guitar. I like the binding in the f-hole. That always adds something to the package. But that's the problem - the f-hole. With it there and it being bound, it seems that the wood should have been grainfilled and the finish polished out.

This was an odd month. There are a number of guitars, mine included, that are more basic and raw - daily players, not showcase pieces. I don't see this as being a continuing trend though, just an odd month.

Well, I hate voting for "another" quilted maple top build, but it was just so beautifully executed that I had to. Liked the others too, expecially Jaden's. If you'd positioned the cavity differently and matched the control covers to the wood better it might have won.

Nice work all of you.

Todd

i liked this month alot, daniels acoustic was 'godly'

a lot of clean projects;

avenger-your definatly right on all your points from a 'contest/consumer' point of view; so thanx;

but all my pickguards are glued in; for pure aesthetics; besides the tunnels routed prior for wire acsess;

i would never use magnets in any way, on any piece of a guitar; excluding pickups of course;

I voted for Simo's MK-5 - awesome build. Watched it from the beginning and i'm really impressed with choice of wood and shape.

Also i'd like to mention Christmas Miracle - cool design but a bit rough perfomance; SA Auditorium acoustic - very nice build, original design and wood choice;

Nova neck through - nice, simple and original and i like the pickups too;

Alright alright I'll throw in my .02

But the last time I did everyone got mad and thought I was trying to make my builds look good by not commenting on them while critiquing other builds....

ScottyD: Very nice piece of maple. I really like the use of the wood pickup covers. I'm not too sold on the body shape and the fact that it's headless, but that's just my personal preference. Obviously great craftsmanship. Good job.

Avengers63: I like how you did a unique carve making it very rounded like that. It looks comfortable to play, but I'm not so sure about the looks. It's almost too bubbly for my taste. Also the black grainfill over natural ash just doesn't work for me on this one. I think it should have been either a color, or strait up natural.

SA Auditorium:

Jaden: I like the multilam neck and the clean look of the pickups without rings. Overall it looks like something you would want to pickup and take to every gig. Nice indeed.

Simo: Very nice piece of quilt (obviously). I really like the black hardware on the natural finish, very classy. The only thing I don't like is the limba back and maple neck look too plain compared to the front of it. I would have liked to see more exotic wood used for the back as well as the top. Obviously great craftsmanship all around. :D

Low End Fuzz: Very unique. But I think there is just too much going on, especially on the back of the neck. It just looks jumbled where it could look really cool if maybe you did just a bit less.

Metz Guitar Pain: Pretty cool looking body shape. It's got loads of character, but it's just not for me. The color is a turn off for me as well, but I guess some would like it.

Nova Neck Through:

RFR: Very rustic looking. I think if you had distressed hardware it would complete the look. A few years of playing from now I can see this guitar looking really cool after it has a few battle scars.

Good job to all entrys, lots of nice guitars this month. It's great to see the skill level of everyone on the forum always going up.

There was that nice enough? :DB)

The WB for me! It was the guitar that i would like to own the most. Love the maple on simo's bass! Low end fuzz, i think you did a great job on your bass with all your laminations, I reckon it looks unique and brilliant!

Always good every month lads, keep up the good work!

Where are all the familiar faces with all of the constructive comments and observations? We usually have 3 or 4 every month. God help us if I'm the only one left doing that. :D

i wrote half a reply the other day but then food distracted me

i'm at work now so i will make it brief

Scottyd & Simo - it had to be one of the basses for me this month - but choosing between them was difficult. Both have great woods and both were very neat.. in the end it came down to simo's because i liked the contrast between the dark and light. If scottyd's had a darker fretboard i am not sure i could have chosen :D

Avenger, i like the carving and i like the overall look of the dye job. I really like the carving but think you missed a trick by not shaping and contouring the neck heel a bit more... and then there is the mistake by the jack - whilst it's not ended up that bad i still find my eye is drawn to it

Dan - i like the acoustic a lot, construction is top notch and its visually very appealing. I think the crown of thorns may have benefitted from a little extra darkness but then i guess the subtlety is good too. i think the neck-through is pretty cool but i dont think its your best work - the back just isnt as organic as the front - some contours and a rounder backplate would have improved the look for me.

Jaden - nice and neat, i like the little area of scalloping. the carve around the lower horn seems a little off somehow

low end fuzz - it looks like it belongs in a veneer salesmans catalogue B) at first i didnt like the look but its growing on me - i paarticularly like the red speed stripe on the forearm contour

metz - finish looks good and i like all the colour matching parts but in all honesty the shape does absolutely nothing for me

RFR - i do like a thinline tele and this is a nice one, definately one i would be playing

no; i understand;

i didn't think i said anything to make you think otherwise?

im sure my typing dosent come across like talking;

Cool. I know I can come off really badly over the internet, so when I'm pretty critical of someone that I'm not trying to piss off, I want to make sure that it's taken the right way. :D

I liked your comments on mine avanger - thanks for them !

it is supposed to be a workhose that ages like an old, old sideboard so your comments made me feel as though I had achieved my goal.

now im off to see if I can enter next months too :D

I just want to note that I liked the Nova until i saw the ***hole on the back :D

Seriously though, now that i know its called "Nova" it looks more like a nova than an *** but... I'm gonna stop digging this hole.

I personally think this is one of the better build months I've seen while being an active member on the forum. I can't wait to be a part of it all!

Scotty D.....Extremely good looking, and I like the way the side of the upper bout behind the neck looks convex, is it? One thing I am not to keen on is the length of the horn on the bass side, but other than that the woods and hardware look great.

Avenger 63........ Any other month and this would have had my vote the grain and the way you have brought it out is gorgeous, and the curves are to drool over. It's a pity that you can't withdraw it and put it in next month.

Daniel Sobera..... Another stunning acoustic Dan, the fret inlays are an unusual but nice change from the norm, unfortunately the ring of thorns rosette although excellently done does nothing for me.

Jaden........ Well I don't really know what to say about this, I think it's a bit like marmite you either love it or hate it and I haven't decided yet, but I do like the Emg's, after saying that it is a good clean build.

Simo.......... This is so good i'm speechless..............oh and it got my vote, nice one Simo well done.

Low End Fuzz.......I love the neck on this one, the woods are very nice, If you could have used some on the back of the body that would have been nice, is the neck really long or is it just me?

Metz............ Sammy hagar would love this, and so would my sister hanging on the wall in her red kitchen. The horn on the treble side I quite like and the deep cut on the same side as well, I bet it's comfy to play whilst ssitting down, a nice build.

Daniel "nova"......Nice and clean looking, and I like it that the control cover on the back is the same wood as the rest of it.

RFR.......... well despite the F hole I do like this one. In fact there have been so many f holes on here that they are starting to grow on me. (forgive me if that sounds rude) I really like the look of this one an acoustic tele, it could give me a reason to build one myself. It just looks as if it wants to be played. And again if it were in another month I would have voted for it.

I say this every time at the end of these voting sessions the quality of all the builds is top class, well done to everyone.

Just like to say thanks to Jaycee for the positive feedback,I know Im not up with the big boys as I do more aesthetic changes than complete builds from scratch.Im sure my style isnt for everyone but I am into the more metal shredder look anyway my next one is almost finished,another Ibanez this time a grg Ill upload some pics soon .