Guitar Of The Month For March

The Project Guitar.com "Guitar of the Month" contest is a showcase for all the members, so show us your axe in this thread!

This contest is open to any and all members that enter and will be continued each month for a place showing your creation on the homepage!

The winner(s) of course will have his/her guitar featured on the homepage of Project Guitar.com and if you have a website the picture will link directly to it if you so choose (even commercial site's).

If your a forum member you will also be upgraded to a Featured member which allows you to see the Advanced Chat section and download area.

So show us your creation in this thread! You've got till sometime around the 21st or 22nd of February then this thread gets locked and the voting starts!

Any Post that is not an entry will be deleted, feel free to start a new thread to discuss any guitar entered this month

There may be more then one poll to determine winners in different catagorys at the end of this contest!

Please post a maximum of your 4 best pictures per guitar entered

Make sure Your Guitar has a Name or Nick Name as well otherwise one will be given to it :D

Side note, if you are unable to post a picture you can e-mail one to Brian and it will be posted for you, or ask forum members how to post pictures, they are very helpful.

Okay I guess it's time for me to reenter. I think I did this all in late December early January. I really like this one, it's the best guitar I've ever built.

Specs

-Curly Spanish Cedar top

-Poplar back

-Strat Style Body

-Bolt-on Neck with ferrules and a somewhat sculpted joint

-Hardtail bridge

-1 volume 1 tone

-2 humbuckers

-medium frets

-rosewood fretborad

-mop dots

-black binding

Picture015-4.jpg

Picture014-4.jpg

Picture015-3.jpg

Picture013-5.jpg

Edit: The white cover is just a temporary cover, I never got around to making the wooden or black cover. I'm gonna get that fixed and put new pics up today.

-Carousel

Edited by carousel182

I made this for a friend on a tight time schedule so the neck isn't mine and a few features were left out due to lack of time (carved top, binding, sound hole, inlay, etc.)

-Curly Maple top, yellow dye (not my choice but I like how it turned out.)

-Mahogany back

-ES-335 meets Brian May Red Special body

-Set neck (purchased from soulmate guitars. shaped the heel to the body)

-Hardtail bridge

-1 master volume, 2 pickup volume controls.

-2 P90s

-medium frets

-Pau Ferro fretborad

-Curly Maple and Mahogany neck

n1250801549_227063_2464.jpg

n1250801549_227064_6120.jpg

n1250801549_227065_7419.jpg

n1250801549_227067_9990.jpg

Oh, and the cavity cover in that picture isn't the final one. I redid it with scraps of the same mahogany I built the guitar with so it looks better than what is shown here.

Edited by MexicanBreed

I finished this one a few months ago, but figured I'll through my name in the hat.

I'll call this one "Old Blue"

Triton Semi-Hollow body shape, 25.5" scale

Mahogany body with Curly maple top

Hard Maple neck

22 fret Indian Rosewood Fret Board w/ cream binding

Black Tele bridge and hardware

Tele single coil pickups

3-Way switch, 1 Vol. 1 Tone

Abablone diamond inlays

Wood patterened banding on the body.

DSC06327.jpg

DSC06335-1.jpg

DSC06331.jpg

DSC06334.jpg

Here is a better look at the inlays

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b192/iho...SB/DSC06330.jpg

Here is the back. The pictures were taken while I still had light, so the cavity cover was not quite done yet.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b192/iho...SB/DSC06338.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Aluna

an 'original' design ive been floating around with; the idea behind this one was to make a 'metalhead' guitar that would be classy enough to not look out of place at a rock show.

the tuners are frosted chrome which i planned on changing, i ordred the wrong ones, but theyre growing on me; so i got to decide wheather i like them, or if im just being lazy;

hipshot tuners

hipshot bridge

baselines jazz pups QPs

volume/volume/tone

schaller straplocks

Alder body w/some kinda rosewood Joe Lado gave me like 4 years ago; i dont know exactly what it is; probably an indian of some kind?

neck is maple walnut padauk w/ a cocobolo fingerboard

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

Model 343

Build Thread Really - it's in there somewhere.

This guitar started as a LPjr body I put up for sale on eBay in August 2008. I had the idea to leave it un-routed and offer free routing services to anyone, hoping to leave the bidding open to lefties as well. I think that may have discouraged some bidders because it sold for $40, which barely covered the cost of materials and eBay fees.

The buyer was indeed a leftie. Through contact with him, he ended up contracting me to complete the whole guitar for him. He sent me the parts, including the neck, and I did everything else for him. We never negotiated a price, but I wasn't doing it for the money anyway. I wanted to make the guitar and see the project through to the end.

As the build went along, I found out that Blaise, the purchaser, was a firefighter. Perfect name, huh. He was a firefighter in New York City... in 2001... in September... Yes, he was involved in the rescue mission of the Twin Towers. Suddenly, this became very personal for me. I didn't have anyone I knew or am related to involved in 9/11, but I have the utmost respect for the men who dove headlong into that mess trying to help anyone they could. The whole build slowed down for me. I was determined NOT to screw up an aspect of this thing. Well, the best laid plans and all that. But I did give my absolute best effort in every aspect of the build.

There were 343 firefighters who died that day. I tried my best to find some way to get the number 343 inlaid into it somewhere in brass lettering, but it was cost prohibitive. The numbers would have run +/- $20 each. I didn't trust myself enough on my (then) newly-acquired scroll saw to make the numbers from longhi or yellowheart, so the idea went by the wayside. In the end, the best I can do is to name it 343 in their honor.

So that's the story. Here's the guitar.

frontclose.jpg

The body is longhi & bloodwood.

The neck is mohogany with a bloodwood fretboard, brass frets, bloodwood headstock cap, and abalone inlays.

The hardware is all gold, with a Gotoh wraparound bridge/tailpiece combo.

The pickups are a mismatched set - the neck is a Dean, the bridge is an Epiphone.

The control cavity cover is bloodwood.

The neck pups never came with height screws, and the holes in the brackets are not the standard size, so it currently has none. Please try and overlook that when voting. This is one of the few things that were beyond my control. Also, I would not have chosen a mis-matched pair of pups, but again, it simply wasn't my choice.

fullfront.jpg

fullback.jpg

headstock.jpg

back left

back right

down the back

down the front

down the left side

down the right side

front left side

front right side

up from the bottom

Here's a bass I built last year. It was it for a guy up in Minneapolis that wanted custom 4 string with a classic vibe to it. This is the first bass from my shop and was a fun project. His only requirements were a 35" scale length, 24 frets, and the Canadian maple leaf inlay(he's Canadian) This is what I came up with for him.

l_2c3047f6d219449894f87a042dd33541.jpg

Body Close up

Specs:

Body-Alder

Neck-Flame Maple set neck (2 way truss rod+carbon rods)

Fingerboard-Madagascar Ebony- 35" scale length, 24 frets, figured pearl maple leaf inlay

Electronics-Bartolini p/j setup with Barolini 3 band eq running 18 volts

Controls-Volume (with Active/Passive push-pull), Blend, Mid (push pull freq selector), Treble/Bass Stack.

l_14c95d077a76422bbc68b8c51099745b.jpg

l_e965df034d2e495891e5574e585986a7.jpg

Here's a shot I took over the weekend of the bass in action

l_aec126b843604f44b44fbb528a3d090e.jpg

My SJE-3 model prototype -27" Baritone scale, 3 piece solid Burmese Rosewood body, Afzelia Xylocarpa Neck and Fretboard - EMG60 Neck Pick up & EMG81 in the Bridge, Schaller compact tuners, Gotoh Tune-o-matic bridge (modified and lowered) with a hard oil finish. The 27" scale holds A,B or C tuning easily with no hassles. :D

main-sje3.jpg

pic1.jpg

pic9.jpg

Others . . .

Pic2

Pic3

Pic4

Pic5

Pic6

Pic7

Pic8

Here is one of my Acoustic electrics.

I'll call it "Abbey"

Why Abbey, you may ask? Well, she just came back from Abbey road Studios. The owner fulfilled a lifelong dream of recording there and meeting George Martin. :D

Anyway onto the instrument.

Completely hollow Honduras Mahogany body, very thin braced quilted maple top.

Honduras Mahogany Set neck, Ebony fingerboard.

Dunlap 6230 fretwire, with Abalone dot markers.

Bone nut and saddle.

Body and neck are both bound in celluloid binding, finished in Nitrocellulose Lacquer.

Electronics consist of a Loyd Baggs under the bridge transducer and preamp system.

A TV Jones passive pickup is in the neck position.

The Baggs preamp includes full EQ adjustable by trim pots inside the back cover.

On the on the top you have a single volume and tone for each pickup controlled by a 3 way switch so you can choose the bridge neck or both.

44214416_l.jpg

l_8ba488b8704c4af4abd969e885678d64.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Roman

This is the NorthStar D-licious

00.jpg

07.jpg

This is the latest NorthStar. This time with a modified neck construction. The neck is three pieces of oiled walnut with thin laminates of maple and graphite between. Besides the fact that it makes the neck incredible strong it is a joy to look at.

The body is one piece of South-American mahogany with a heavily carved, stained flamed maple top bound with a five-ply binding.

This guitar is made for aggressive and heavy music. You can see it in the inclusion of the Hipshot D-tuner (hence the nickname D-licious) that facilitate quick detuning and retuning of the e-string during songs. Down to D and back again with the flick of a lever! To match this it is equipped with two StarStruck Slugger pickups. They produce a high output and tons of attitude.

As the combination of beauty and beast it is, a lot of time and work have been spent on the inlays. The pattern from the neck is repeated in the truss rod cover and the pickup tops.

03.jpg

13.jpg

The quick facts:

Design Peter Naglitsch NorthStar

Body Mahogany with flamed maple top

Neck Laminated walnut/maple with graphite reinforcements

Fretboard Ebony

Scale length 25"

Pickups Peter Naglitsch Design:

Bridge: StarStruck Slugger

Neck: StarStruck Slugger

Hardware Grover + Hipshot D-tuner

Tailpice Hipshot Baby Grand

Controls 1 Vol, 1 Tone, 3-way switch

Frets Jumbo

Fretmarks MOP-strips

Ebony Pickup rings

Ebony Trussrod cover attached with magnets

Flamed maple control cavity cover

Earvana sadle

More pictures:

The head with new logo

http://www.peternaglitschluthier.com/guita...dlicious/06.jpg

The back of the head with the hipshot D-tuner

http://www.peternaglitschluthier.com/guita...dlicious/05.jpg

The back of the 13-ply laminated neck:

http://www.peternaglitschluthier.com/guita...dlicious/04.jpg

Close-up of body carves

http://www.peternaglitschluthier.com/guita...dlicious/02.jpg

Bridge pickup with inlayed wood top:

http://www.peternaglitschluthier.com/guita...dlicious/15.jpg

Neck pickup with inlayed wood top:

http://www.peternaglitschluthier.com/guita...dlicious/14.jpg

Special mother of pearl side markers

http://www.peternaglitschluthier.com/guita...dlicious/12.jpg

One more of the neck inlay:

http://www.peternaglitschluthier.com/guita...dlicious/11.jpg

The guitars main presentation page with more pictures:

http://www.peternaglitschluthier.com/guita...ar_dlicious.htm

This is "The Pete." Built for a dear friend and inspired by the Giffin/Schecter telecasters Pete Townshend used to play back in the 80s. Pure rock and roll.

The Specs:

Alder body

Curly maple neck with purpleheart center/accents and birdseye maple fretboard

Hand wound Kent Armstrong Z-Plus humbuckers. These are exact copies of the pups Kent used to wind for Pete. Mr. Armstrong was kind enough to wind this set for me.

Sperzel tuners

Mighty Mite hardtail

Graphtec nut

Nitrocellulose finish

Cheers,

Greg

DSC_0110-1.jpg

DSC_0137-1.jpg

DSC_0111-1.jpg

DSC_0211-1.jpg

and a few more clickies.......

Back of neck

Fretboard

Back

Roll the dice

Another angle of the top/neck join

Another angle of the back

One more look at the neck

Hmm, tough competition this month. I'll through mine in here too. First guitar I've built from scratch.

"The Mad Dutchman" (I asked for name suggestions from my friends and this is the best one)

Mahogany body with maple top (the body is about 1/2 to 2/3 chambered)

Maple bolt-on neck stained with rosewood dust from the fretboard.

25" scale, 24 frets

Ebony nut

Neck bolted with brass inserts in the heel and 1/4 steel machine screws.

Gotoh TOM bridge string-thru

Golden Age overwound humbuckers.

5 way multi-pole switch (neck, outer coils parallel, both pickups, inner coils parallel, bridge)

Body finished with shellac, neck finished with tru-oil

guitar1da4.jpg

guitar2zp3.jpg

guitar3cw7.jpg

I'm really happy with how it sounds. It has a lot of sustain and a nice rich sound. I'm happy that any mistake I made while building could be easily fixed or covered. My favorite pickup selection is the outer coils. Lot's of bite and crunch and almost a wah sound when the tone is closed.

I do have to fix a bit of the finish though. I took it into college to show some friends and professors and I didn't realize that the shellac wasn't as cured as I thought. I now have a strap mark. But live and learn and this was a great learning experience.