Router Fretboard Radiusing Bits - Anyone Interested?

SJE-Guitars

Ok inspired by this thread I recently stumbled on Radiusing bits. . . this thread is to see who many people would be interested in purchasing similar bits.

Right the reason I ask this is you or may not know but I am based in Laos in SE Asia - so what you might think - well my local sharpening shop also makes router bits to any design and this being SE Asia things are a good bit cheaper than the rest of the world.

This thread is to gauge whether firstly if there is suffcient people interested in them and also to check out what kind of money you would want to pay for a bit. Now let me just clarify the money question isn't just to discover how much I can ream out of people! The question is because as yet I haven't asked them for prices so they might turn around and say x amount to which from the replies on this thread I can then say yes or no.

Ok so the questions -

Which radius bits would you be interested in - 7 1/2, 9, 10, 12, 15, 17, 20 - or something I've not listed?

How much would you be willing to pay? $20-$40, $40-$50, $50-$75, $75-$100 - I do not think for one minute they would cost any more than $100 regardless, my estimate would be around the $40 mark (but like I say thats my estimate not their quote!!)

In terms of the metal used for the bits this is something I need to check but I think it's HSS - but I'd need to check.

They would be shipped via DHL to anywhere in the world and would obviously be marked as Samples - which they are!

So let me know and if there is sufficient interest I'll go and visit the shop and get the prices (well I'll probably do this anyway!).

:D

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok inspired by this thread I recently stumbled on Radiusing bits. . . this thread is to see who many people would be interested in purchasing similar bits.

Right the reason I ask this is you or may not know but I am based in Laos in SE Asia - so what you might think - well my local sharpening shop also makes router bits to any design and this being SE Asia things are a good bit cheaper than the rest of the world.

This thread is to gauge whether firstly if there is suffcient people interested in them and also to check out what kind of money you would want to pay for a bit. Now let me just clarify the money question isn't just to discover how much I can ream out of people! The question is because as yet I haven't asked them for prices so they might turn around and say x amount to which from the replies on this thread I can then say yes or no.

Ok so the questions -

Which radius bits would you be interested in - 7 1/2, 9, 10, 12, 15, 17, 20 - or something I've not listed?

How much would you be willing to pay? $20-$40, $40-$50, $50-$75, $75-$100 - I do not think for one minute they would cost any more than $100 regardless, my estimate would be around the $40 mark (but like I say thats my estimate not their quote!!)

In terms of the metal used for the bits this is something I need to check but I think it's HSS - but I'd need to check.

They would be shipped via DHL to anywhere in the world and would obviously be marked as Samples - which they are!

So let me know and if there is sufficient interest I'll go and visit the shop and get the prices (well I'll probably do this anyway!).

:D

I'd be interested. Definitely in a 12", maybe a 7.5" too. And if the bit is good enough, I'd be willing to pay up to $75 if it's HSS, $100 if we're talking Carbide tipped.

Hi if I can pass on some constructive critisiscm and that would be to offer us members an introductory price for a cutter or cutters and for us to try the bits and pass on whether they are good,bad or whatever you know customer feedback. The reason I say this is I would certainly wouldn't pay any more than $40 for a bit that might be very good or very bad but in the event I found these to be of a very poor quality and were innaccurate then $40 is not a waste of money to me but $70-80 would certainly be. This is by no means a dig at you its also some feedback to help you sell these. I for one would certainly love to try at least one at a introductory rate and then if it was of a very reasonable quality would consider ordering a full set of the most common radiuses. Also how safe and secure would it be to send payments to you and recieve our cutters ? again this is something that needs to be addressed before I even think about sending a single dollar! I'm sure others on this board will agree to the comments I have made and they are all comments that you as a seller must take note of hope this helps I'm in if its all good :D

Hi if I can pass on some constructive critisiscm and that would be to offer us members an introductory price for a cutter or cutters and for us to try the bits and pass on whether they are good,bad or whatever you know customer feedback. The reason I say this is I would certainly wouldn't pay any more than $40 for a bit that might be very good or very bad but in the event I found these to be of a very poor quality and were innaccurate then $40 is not a waste of money to me but $70-80 would certainly be. This is by no means a dig at you its also some feedback to help you sell these. I for one would certainly love to try at least one at a introductory rate and then if it was of a very reasonable quality would consider ordering a full set of the most common radiuses. Also how safe and secure would it be to send payments to you and recieve our cutters ? again this is something that needs to be addressed before I even think about sending a single dollar! I'm sure others on this board will agree to the comments I have made and they are all comments that you as a seller must take note of hope this helps I'm in if its all good :D

Completely agree - I intend to personally get at least one made (probably 12") as a tester and I'd even be happy to drop it in the post to a trusted poster on here for them to test as I know I am obviously can't just expect people to trust me on just my posts on here. The only thing I need to do it make a CAD template with the exact sizings for them to work off as I am not 100% sure if they'll understand the radius idea (my Lao isn't quite fluent so as would be said a picture paints a 1000 word!) - I've seen their 1", 1/2" round over bits and various mouldings and they look very good.

Any payments would be made through paypal so there is the buyers protection on that.

Like I said in my first post this is just to test the water to see if there is a potential market for them before I go negotiating prices (just the way of this side of the world!) - at the end of it I am as concerned about the quality as you are - black and white ebony ain't the cheapest timber in the world to turn into firewood! :D

Comment happily received.

Hi no problems bro. I am a custom maker here in the UK who has been building for over 25+years and I would gladly like to test the cutter out and I'll even pay for it bro I don't expect it for nothing as equally others shouldn't expect it for free either so don't undervalue your services, remember you are helping us luthiers here in a job that is very tedious and sometimes innacurate so it works 2 ways and if you can make these cutters to a high quality I'm in no questions at all. PM me through this board and we can sort things out if you so wish, Regards Laz aka Kammo1

Well I've just knocked up a quick CAD of a 12" - I am specifying the cutting blade length as 50mm (i.e from tip to shank) - this should be sufficient for even 8 strings as it would radius a blank of 100mm wide. Or would people prefer it longer say 60mm?

Let me know on that score. :D

Im based in the uk as well and i would definately be interested in a few of them mainly a 12 16 and 20.

if you need anyone to test other radius's out let me know.

50mm or 2 inch cutting profile should be plenty bro with a 40mm long 1/2 shank. The overall diameter of the cutter depends entirely on what size bearing you use on the bottom whether its a 1/4, 3/8ths or 1/2, the bigger the bearing the bigger the diameter of the cutter as you have to follow the curve of the diameter and the cutting length ie 2 inches, so the diameter will depend on where the cutting profile ends if you see what I mean. I would probably not go for the 1/4 inch bearing but more for the 1/2 so the overall diameter of the cutter will be about 19mm if I'm correct. Maybe just maybe the firm that you are using have 19mm diameter cutters already that can be adapted by fitting a 1/2 bearing on the bottom and then working the profile or grinding it this ? Also please remember the cutter profile must be "EXACTLY" perpendicular to the fretboard that you will be radiusing as if this is off you will end up with the cutter cutting a more sharper radius than you intend. Bro PM me and give me you e-mail addy and then I can send you a sketch of what I mean, a picture is worth a thousand words, again many thanks and hope this venture makes you a nice little earner as I'm sure everybody will have some at a good price. I would love a full set from 7 1/4 inch radius to 16 inch radius as I use a variety of radiuses on every build that I do, many thanks again.

I'll try out a 12" one in carbide :D let me know the price. You want carbide if you want them to last. Specify the top bearing, and diameter of the top of the bit, to be 1/2" (the 1/2" bearing is a standard size) - specify the depth of cut to be 2". I can send you a schematic drawing if you like.

The guy who made mine is now on disability (damn cancer). When he made mine originally, I gave him a list that included 9.5", 10" and 12" then later I told him to drop the 10" - but bymistakely he dropped the 12"...so I'm in need of a 12".

When he made these, he machined the shafts and the blades separately, then made a jig to attach the blades to the shaft so that the two flutes were exactly the same distance from the shaft (otherwise the thing would chatter like hell).

I'd be interested in the 12" for sure and possibly a 14" and 16", depending on price. I think $40 is reasonable. Since they're pretty much custom, maybe $60. I wouldn't get more than one at $60.

Awesome idea, BTW. I would love to have bits like this.

Bugger - apologies - been busy, busy with other things - I completely forgot to go down the shop today! :D

Tomorrow - Tuesday - I'll definately go!

The one thing I can vouch for is there sharpening abilities - the last week I gave them my jointer blades and they came back better than new! Like have a new jointer - very happy! :D

Ok as promised I went down the shop today and have ordered a 12" test radius bit.

You'll be very happy to know that the bit are tool steel with carbide coated blades - I handled a few of there ordinary bits today and the cutting edges are razor sharp - impressed - in fact I've just notice I've cut the surface skin on my thumb from handling them!

In terms of price $49 for per bit + p&p (which will probably be around another $5 for airmail). The shop is very busy and can only produce 2 maybe 3 a day.

But anyway I before any orders are placed I will get the bit in a day or so time and give it a trial and post the results. Like I said in the earlier mail if people don't trust me then I'll happily send the bit on loan to an established poster that people trust to give it a trial.

As soon as I've got I'll let you all know. :D

:D I'd be happy to give it a test-drive, since I have experience with the originals and know what to look for.

Just the man I had in mind! :DB)

Oh also another thing is the template bits (ball bearing on top) - since I have the stumac bit I am going to take it down the shop and get them make me a new one albeit with a slightly longer cutting blade. Since it should be a straight forward thing to make I reckon they'll cost no more than 15 or 20 dollar max . . . any takers? B)

Edited by SJE-Guitars

Steve I will definately be in for a 12" radius for my 1st one then when I have recieved it I can check and order others. Do you have PayPal ?? what would postage and packing be to here in the UK ?? can't wait to hear the reviews.

I sure do have Paypal. P&P to the UK I estimate will be about the $5 mark - when I've sent small things to the UK before this is what it's cost - once I have it and know the packed weight I'll also go down to the Post Office and get accurate quotes for shipping. I will also get DHL quotes as some people might want them quick and also DHL here isn't rediculously expensive as in Europe.

Watch this space for reviews. I've got erikbojeriks shipping address so once I've had a good play with it got plenty of pictures I'll ship it over and let erikbojerik give his experienced opinion on it! :D Once all is okay'd then I'll be taking orders and Laz no worry you'll be at the top of the list! :D

Cheers!