Band Saw Recommendation

NotYou

My P.O.S. band saw decided it wanted to throw sparks today. Obviously, that's not a good thing around piles of wood dust. It's weak, small, and old and not worth fixing. I fixed it temporarily, but it's done for.

I need one quick, but I can't spend too much. I'm in talks with a customer right now who wants a pretty elaborate bass made and his down payment should cover the price of it.

I'm considering this one:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-Bandsaw-2-HP/G0513

It'll give me plenty of room for re-sawing(12 inch cut height!!). It costs $770 right now and I'm trying to stay around that price(unless I can go lower, obviously).

If anyone has any experience with Grizzly, I'd appreciate your thoughts, or if anyone knows of a better deal. Room for re-sawing is pretty much a requirement. I haven't been looking long since mine just died today.

Edit:

I found this one too. I can actually pick this one up, which means no freight charge. I don't know the brand, though.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?Prod...;FamilyID=20041

Thanks

Edited by NotYou

I've got the Rigid 14" that Home Depot sells (although it doesn't seem to be on their website anymore :D ) It's not bad for what it is, I've haven't tried resawing yet so I don't know how it is in that area. You'll need a new blade, blocks, and bearing guides, but at $400 it's pretty good. ALTHOUGH, If I had the cash I would've gone with grizzly.

You won't find a better value in bandsaws than Grizzly unless you get something on craigslist. If you can spring for the next model up, I would. The cast iron wheels will have more momentum, and it's "only" $131 more because there's free S&H on that model right now.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-Bandsaw...runnion/G0513X2

You make a good point about the wheels. The Rikon I linked to in my first post has cast iron wheels and has gotten great reviews. I don't know the company at all, though, and they're located in China (I just keep imagining Harbor Freight tools). The Grizzly is American made and I hear they have good service too.

I think it's between these two now:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-2-HP-Deluxe-Bandsaw/G0457 $895

http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-Bandsaw...runnion/G0513X2 $995

The one with the cast iron wheels is more than I wanted to spend, but it might be worth it in the long. $100 extra now isn't going to seem like much later. BUT, the cheaper one comes with a resaw fence. It also won some award from fine woodworking for best value.

Edited by NotYou

Like I'd said, the G0457 has cast iron wheels B)

I somehow looked right over that :D

I think that's the one then. $895 for a 12" cut height, a 6" fence, 2HP, and cast iron wheels is a steal.

Now I really hope this guy buys that bass. :D

Thanks for the help. If anyone else has any input, I'd still appreciate it.

Edited by NotYou

I think it only has 10" resaw capacity, which isn't bad, but it's not 12". I have only needed more than 10" once, basically now, but the board is 12.75 x 16.5 x 2.75, so 12" still wouldn't be enough.

I wouldn't overestimate the value of a resaw fence. I have an OK fence on my saw with your typical drift adjustment and also a pivot point attachment and I never use it. I would rather clamp a heavy board to the table that's about as tall as what I'm resawing. Can't remember where I "saw" the tip on doing that, but I like it better than the fence.

Oh, and Grizzly isn't made in the US! Definately China. Like all the other low and mid priced bandsaws from Jet, Delta, Rikon, Steel City . . . In fact they probably all come from the same factory :D But Grizzly is reputable, so I'd be comfortable buying that saw.

Regards,

Todd

cast iron wheels +1

I think it only has 10" resaw capacity, which isn't bad, but it's not 12". I have only needed more than 10" once, basically now, but the board is 12.75 x 16.5 x 2.75, so 12" still wouldn't be enough.

Yeah, I can't see needing to re-saw anything bigger than that. A 12 inch re-saw capacity is nice, but a 24" wide guitar would be ridiculous.

I talked to a guy today from craigslist who has a 15" Grizzly bandsaw. He measured the cut height and says it's 7.5". That enough for a 15" bookmatch.

I don't know if the wheels are cast iron, but I doubt it. It's a model they don't make anymore.

He's only asking $350. Says he paid $550. He says he barely used it(I'm thinking it was a mid-life crisis purchase).

Do you think I'd be wise to go for it, or will I be kicking myself later that I didn't get the more expensive one with the 10" cut height and the cast iron wheels(I can put it on craiglist later and upgrade too). The other one I'm considering is $895, so you can see my dilemma.

Edited by NotYou

I talked to a guy today from craigslist who has a 15" Grizzly bandsaw. He measured the cut height and says it's 7.5". That enough for a 15" bookmatch.

I don't know if the wheels are cast iron, but I doubt it. It's a model they don't make anymore.

He's only asking $350. Says he paid $550. He says he barely used it(I'm thinking it was a mid-life crisis purchase).

Do you think I'd be wise to go for it, or will I be kicking myself later that I didn't get the more expensive one with the 10" cut height and the cast iron wheels(I can put it on craiglist later and upgrade too). The other one I'm considering is $895, so you can see my dilemma.

I would go for it $350 is a good deal, unless you see any need to resaw more than a 15" bookmatch, that could be a problem for larger acoustic backs and tops other than that I see no reason it would be fine for any guitarmaking.

I would go for it $350 is a good deal, unless you see any need to resaw more than a 15" bookmatch, that could be a problem for larger acoustic backs and tops other than that I see no reason it would be fine for any guitarmaking.

Thanks for the quick response. I think I'd be smart to get it. Especially since I'd have to wait to be able to afford the more expensive one. The problem is that I can't wait because the money is coming from a build that I can't do without the bandsaw. That means I'd have to use credit, which I'm desperately trying to avoid.

I don't plan on starting with acoustics until at least this summer(and I hate jazz, so archtops aren't an issue :D ). My business has been picking up a lot lately and hopefully I can resell this one and get the larger one then.

I just have this part me that's telling me not to do it because I'll want the bigger one later. With my luck, someone will order something bookmatched that's 15.5" and hour after I get it to the shop.

Edited by NotYou

If by random chance you do need something larger than 15" cut send it off to another member with a larger saw. I'm sure someone would do it for little or nothing and it saves you waiting or spending a bunch of extra money you don't have. There are also certain types of shops that would have saws large enough for you that would cut it, you'd have to really search for one though. I would find out the length of the blade first and make sure it is a readily available size because you don't really want to have to have custom made blades or do it yourself, either way I think it'd cost you more and be more of a hassle than anything, though I could be wrong. Being that it is an older model you may want to see what type of upgrades you can do if any, like changing the tires, even if it hasn't been used depending on how old it is the tires may need replacing.

Also Rockler sells little brushes you can attach inside the saw to sweep the tires as the turn, this helps quite a bit and is a very cheap little mod. Then you can also replace bearing if it has any, if it the block types guides you can replace those with a newer better quality guide. Also ask if it comes with a fence and miter jig, the fence would be somewhat important being that you probably cannot get a true replacement, though there may be some adjustable fences you could adapt to the saw or try and make your own. If it is good condition as he says and he has all the pieces that originally came with the saw it seems like a good deal, just make sure when you need to do some maintenance that they still make parts for it, otherwise you'd end up out of luck. Anyhow, just something to think about, Craiglist is great, I've come across several epic deals on bandsaws on Craigslist, but they were always at the worst times. Good luck and keep us posted on how it turns out. J

Unless there's something wrong with it or you just don't like it, the only downside I can see to the 15" saw is that you will probably have to order your blades. With 15" wheels, it may not be a very common blade length. But I always order stuff like that online anyway, so for me, if it's a nice saw, it'd be a no-brainer.

I'm getting the 15" for sure now. I talked the guy down to $325 and I'm picking it up in the morning.

I just got a new shop and the owner has a HUGE Delta bandsaw in the building that I can use anytime if I need to cut anything bigger. :D It's been a good week.

If it is a similar design to thier current 14" bandsaws, then you can purchase a riser block kit that will extend the resaw capacity by 6".