Neck Building Tool List

avengers63

I landed a Stew-Mac fret cutting miter box, saw, and 25/25.5 template for $135 shipped.

There are a couple of items on eBay that I'm bidding on right now... tang nippers, a set of 8" radius blocks, leveling file, diamond crowning file, and 3 tubes of fret wire. PLEASE don't bid against me!

I can't comment on their ability to make grooves in hard material. I don't doubt that they'd be unable to do so. What I can testify to is their ability to cut a graphite nut, which they did well.

FWIW: I have a group of 6 pre-slotted nuts on the way, so I won't be using them right now anyway.

Hijack away! I'm all about using other stuff to do the same thing so long as it's cheaper & easier.

I don't see why not. As long as the tool can make the channel the right width & depth, there's no reason to think it wouldn't work. Some rods need a more-or-less curved channel, but this could do that too.

Yep, good point, Kenny. I bought my sanding block before I realized I could have just made a sled for my radiusing jig and made it myself.

Here is a picture of the radius jig I designed/built.

radiusjig.JPG

It does a great job with very little effort. The router rides along the slot (using a template bearing). YOu can drill pivot points for different radius. I have a 9.5" and 12".

There is a bit of waste, but I dont build so many that this becomes a problem.

I don´t mean to hijack your thread John, but I was wondering about a tool which I think could be used for the truss rod channel. I know this crowd uses the router for many things including this task, but I was wondering who has experience with router planes at all, and especially for routing the truss rod channel. I´ve read its mainly used for inlaying and marquetry, but could it be used for this or other tasks?

05p3801-dsp.jpg

Sorry to butt in but alternatively you could use a plough plane which does it all in one go (mine hase two blades that cut the side of the channel first the link doesn't appear to have them) it also works on narrow pieces where i think a router plane may start to wobble?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Der...es/LVplough.jpg

Woodenspokes thread on nippers :as in fret cutters, lol

Definitely check out this thread John. When I did my neck tool shopping I grabbed a pair of channel lock cutters, a bit larger than average, but the head on it was the same, just longer so more leverage. When buying them on the cheap look out for a few things mentioned in Woodenspokes post. I initially try smoothing mine on a wheel, but it sucked, I ended up using a little drum sander in my drill press, worked amazingly well, cuts perfect and after fretting it showed no sign of wear, definitely better than spending the money to buy from stewmac or lmi. Hope the neck building is going well. J