Guitar Of The Month For June

The Project Guitar.com "Guitar of the Month" contest is a showcase for all the members, so show us your axe in this thread!

This contest is open to any and all members that enter and will be continued each month for a place showing your creation on the homepage!

The winner(s) of course will have his/her guitar featured on the homepage of Project Guitar.com and if you have a website the picture will link directly to it if you so choose (even commercial site's).

If your a forum member you will also be upgraded to a Featured member which allows you to see the Advanced Chat section and download area.

So show us your creation in this thread! You've got till sometime around the 23rd or 24th of May then this thread gets locked and the voting starts!

Any Post that is not an entry will be deleted, feel free to start a new thread to discuss any guitar entered this month

There may be more then one poll to determine winners in different catagorys at the end of this contest!

Please post a maximum of your 4 best pictures per guitar entered

Make sure Your Guitar has a Name or Nick Name as well otherwise one will be given to it :D

Side note, if you are unable to post a picture you can e-mail one to Brian and it will be posted for you, or ask forum members how to post pictures, they are very helpful.

Build Thread

THE YELLOW AND BLACK ATTACK

Direct recreation of the original Corvus shape, or at least as near as I could get without having an original to copy.

MODS:

headless redesign

shelf in cutaway for tuners

rear routed control cavity

radiusing of the leg curve

slight belly cut

BODY:

1 1/2" thick

2-piece poplar

poplar control cavity cover

all-access neck joint with 3-degree neck angle

1/2" shelf along bottom cutaway for rear-mounted tuners

gunslinger style angled pickup route

NECK:

maple neck

rosewood fretboard

25.5" scale

22 frets

re-shaped headless design

tab-mounted string ferrules

HARDWARE & ELECTRONICS:

chrome hardware

TOM bridge

1 volume

lug-nut knob

side-mounted football jack plate

Steinberger gearless tuners

standard strap buttons

Kramer Quad-Rail humbucker puckup

FINISH:

2 coats of sanding sealer

3 coats of rattle can gray primer, sanded with 220 after each coat

4 coats of black or harvest gold rattle can paint, sanded with 220 after each coat

12 coats of rattle can polyurethane, wetsanded & leveled with 400 after every 3 coats

2 coats of matte top coat

frontfull.jpg

tunersbottom.jpg

headstockfront.jpg

backfull.jpg

back close up

back left

back right

down the neck

up from the bottom

front close

front left

front right

tuners from the back

headstock from the back

the yellow pink green and black attack - thanks john :D

Ibanez jem copy, passion and warfare colours

Basswood body, flame maple 1st neck attempt

Dimarzio Breed pickups

Standard ibanez cosmo parts

1shot signpainters paint

colour7.jpg

colour3.jpg

colour1.jpg

colour4.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/amrt/PAW/garden4.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/amrt/PAW/colour6.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/amrt/PAW/garden5.jpg

build thread

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=40206

quick sound clip

I finished it a while ago but was waiting until I could get some decent pictures taken (Thanks Dean!). Hmmm...where to begin B). Another one of my "one-offs", no templates just winging it along and following the natural curves. I call it "The Huntress", it has that woodsy atmos. with the natural Honduras mahogany and dyed holly laminates / headstock cap, as well as the hunter green pickguard and elaborate fb inlay. Celtic lore says that holly (Ilex sp.) has magical protective and regenerative properties and giving holly to someone is a sign of good will.

Guitar182.JPG

Body wings and center neck block are Honduras mahogany, the last of my stock :D

American holly (Ilex) laminates on either side of the neck block, dyed hunter green and feathered out onto the neck. I honestly haven't seen anyone do this before so I figured I'd give it a whirl.

Guitar179.JPG

The design revolves around Fenderish aspects, almost a strato-tele hybrid, strat body cuts, 25.5" scale length, stringthrubody design w/ ferrules in back, hardtail, 24 frets and rolled fb edges.

The headstock has a 1/8" thick holly cap (dyed green/blue) Chrome Grover mini-tuners.

Neckthru as mentioned with rosewood fb cap and my own single action truss rod. I did good on the truss rod, can make them for about a buck apiece now! :D

The fb inlay? What can I say? I sure wish I can say I was responsible but I'm an honest fellow, it was pre-inlaid and radiused. I bought it from a friend at work which he got off Ebay. Looks like a CNC job with lots of MOP and abalone. I DID install the med/med frets and it looks like a 12" radius. I made the nut from vintage mother of pearl. It used to be the handle from a silver plated butter knife.

Guitar178.jpg

The finish is 2-part "Imron" polyurethane (Thanks Stu!). About 8 thick coats with alternate curings/scuffings between every 2 coats. I previously grainfilled the mahogany with "Famowood #1 Professional Wood Filler" which I picked up at the local Do-It Center. (good stuff, I just rubbed it in with my fingers) The pickguard is 1/16" thick, clear, one-side-scuff-resistant Acrylite. The back side is painted with "Krylon Fusion" rattlecan for plastics , hunter green. I think it matches the surrounding dyed holly very well. I have an alternate guard which is black w/ white trim but unfortunately, it was too thick. It felt like the strings were laying right on the deck.

HPIM1742.JPG

More pictures here

Its wired like a telecaster and sounds like a telecaster, the neck pickup is a stock single coil from my 88 Am. Std. strat and bridge pickup is an Ibanez C2 stacked humbucker. 3-way blade switch, 1 volume, 1 tone, .022 cap, nothing fancy. Combining the 2 very diverse pickups gives a very pleasing tone. Thats what teles are all about to me. B)

If you want to see more here are my "in progress" shots. Sorry, they are a bit disorganized but still cover many aspects of the build. And something for that good advice thread if it has not been mentioned yet: If you are building a neckthru guitar of this design, ie. body wings onto neck block, keep the bandsaw cuttoffs for clamping the body pieces together later on! I guess you could glue the wood together beforehand but try cutting a body out on the bandsaw with 2 feet of neck sticking out.

This guitar is designed for a woman in mind. Its small(ish), lightweight (only weighs 6.5 lbs!)and is VERY comfortable to play. I do not plan to keep it and am considering putting it up for the United Way Christmas Raffle at work. I'll just get some stick-on holly decorations (leaves, berries 'n such) and call it the Christmas guitar. Huh, someone could pick it up for 2 bucks, imagine that! ;) But it will go toward a good cause and just feels like the right thing to do. I have enough guitars laying around as it is!

Edited by Southpa

I've been gigging with this guitar for almost a year and a half now, but only recently got around to taking some glamour shots. Introducing my first build, as seen in this thread, the nearly incomparable and cleverly named...

Koa Semi-Hollow

SemihollowFront.jpg

The Koa Semi-Hollow is, in bullets:

- Flamed koa top plate with stylized f-holes

- Striped and lightly figured African mahogany body; chambered/hollowed tuning-fork style (Scott French inspired), string-thru

- Honduran mahogany neck; bolt-on with hand carved volute

- Ebony fingerboard with black MOP fretboard markers and Myka-style silver outlined black MOP side markers

- Rosewood binding with fine BWB purfling on all edges

- Nitrocellulose lacquer finish (by Addam Stark, who absolutely rocks)

Electronics:

Two PAF-style gold humbuckers and L.R. Baggs Piezo tune-o-matic bridge controlled through:

- Mag master volume (pull to kill)

- Neck tone (pull to split)

- Bridge tone (pull to split)

- Mag blend

- Piezo volume (pull to on)

- Hidden in lower f-hole is a piezo mid-tone pot and bypass switch

This thing has been everything I could have hoped my first build could be. Thick and sweet tone with smooth and responsive handling. I've been playing live with it for a while now, and it even inspired me to build a worthy tube-amp from scratch (you can find it on my website as linked in my signature).

SemihollowBack.jpg

Here you can see the neck detail, including the volute, the heavy machine screws that hold the neck to the body through brass inserts, the string-thru ferrules, and the uninterrupted-grain electronics cavity cover. The cover was carefully routed out from the body with a 1/32 endmill in a Dremel, bound in rosewood to recover the kerf, and replaced to keep the woodgrain as seamless as possible.

SemihollowTop.jpg

The body of the guitar sports Madagascar rosewood pickup rings, rosewood knobs (I still have to turn my own later) and all gold hardware. The strap button washers are made of silk I picked up in China on a business trip between building sessions. Here the silver outlined black MOP side-dots are clearly visible. The Black mother-of-pearl on the ebony fretboard blends in from most angles, but flashes bright red and green from others. This creates a nicely understated appearance with a subtle elegance that is just barely visible in half of the markers photographed here.

SemihollowHeadstock.jpg

The bookmatched headstock faceplate is made from the koa removed at the body's waist. White mother-of-pearl inlays of my last name and a signature symbol of my hands hopefully give off both a personal and professional touch at the same time. While it's tough to see unless you press your nose up against it, there is a sliver of bloodwood on a knuckle in the lower hand inlay. I have a slight accident that resulted in 8 stitches while working on this project and made reference to it in the inlays I was already working on.

For more build images you can check out my webpage here

additional shots:

Hanging on the wall of an art gallery it was recently featured in

Front oblique

Front with highlight showing slight shaping of top

Back with highlight

Headstock with inlay detail

With it's amp (see the amp's own webpage here...)

Thanks for all the help this forum gave me, it made my life easier and filled me with both inspiration and cautious humility in my build. This guitar is easily one of my top 3 favorite projects of all time, and I've already been amassing wood for an acoustic! That, however is to be entered in a different GOTM many, many months from now.

All the best,

Dave

Edited by davee5

Hi everybody, I want to post here a special project. I'm not sure if it's a "valid" entry here. If it isn't, please let me know.

I call this "P-Bass Restoration".

It is not a bass that I built, but it's an original 1975 Fender Precision Bass that I restored.

When it first came to my hands, it was a complete mess. It was ugly, dirty, scratched, bad painted, etc, etc, etc.

I decided to restore it since I noticed it was an original 1975 Fender Precision Bass, and not all the days somebody come to you with a relic like that to give it a second chance.

After removing all the messy painting, the wood came out and I realized it was gonna be a very beautiful instrument, like it probably was in its first days.

I decided not to do any sunburst or any kind of paiting on it. I gave it a glossy finish just to let that amazing wood be admired by everyone.

It is made of Ash wood, a really beautiful wood.

The fretboard is rosewood; by the way, it is a fretless bass.

One of the most exciting things that happened with this bass, is the fact that I could use all the original parts, including screws!!.

It has its original pickups, pots, knobs, cables, etc.

I'm so proud of this bass, and I cannot explain how sad I am, since this bass doesn't belong to me :-(

Cheers,

Jorge Villavicencio

Here are some pictures

Before

p_DSCF3521_ezg_1.jpg

After

p_DSCF4085_ezg_1.jpg

Before

p_DSCF3525_ezg_1.jpg

After

p_DSCF3571_ezg_1.jpg

You can visit my web site:

VC-Guitars

Or you can check all the pictures here:

VC-Guitars, 1975 Precision Bass Restoration

Edited by jvillavicencio

• 3 weeks later...

Go on then I'll make up the numbers and see if I can beat my previous nil pwaa!

Name wise . . erm how about 'The lesser spotted ironwood superstrat' :D

The specs are a solid bookmatched part flamed and figured Burmese Ironwood (Xylia Xylocarpa) body, the neck is a 1 piece quartersawn Afzelia Xylocarpa with a Laos Rosewood fretboard (also know as Burmese Blackwood - latin name Dalbergia Cultrata), the control knobs and the pickup rings are matching Laos Rosewoods. All inlay dots are Abalone.

Pickups are neck Seymour Duncan APH-1 Custom (by me . . replacing the Alnico2 with an Alnico5) the bridge is a SD SH-3 StagMag, bridge is a recessed Gotoh T-o-M and the 5 way is a Megaswitch-E for coil tapping the Stag Mag, the tuners are Schaller Mini Compacts and the nut is solid sunbleached Lao Buffalo bone.

Even the body is ironwood it has a very similar density to rosewood so have a very resonant tone and strumming the guitar unplugged you can feel the vibration through the body. It keeps the very bright StagMag well undercontrol and gives a real nice single coil quack tone when tapped.

Finish wise - dye black & sanded back to pick out the grain, sanded to 2000grit, then several layers a hardening wax (kind of danish oil), each layer smoothed with sanding sponge then waxed, giving a natural and gloss finish.

No build thread but the headstock was voted for in this thread: The Voting . .

So without further ado . . pictures!

full.JPG

body1.JPG

headstockfront.JPG

neck.JPG

Others:

Full - from back

Back of Headstock

Close up Neck pickup and ring

Back of body

Difference angle of body

Rosewood Knobs!

:D

I was thinking how this is nowhere near as good as any of the others but i just want to show it off a bit and why not, i think of it as a more of a novelty item rather than a serious contestant.

WHO YA GONNA CALL!!!

DSC05072.jpg

Its basically just a an mdf body gut into shape then with old strat copy parts attached. Nothing fancy

DSC05073.jpg

DSC05074.jpg

Edited by feral_smurf

The Z1 LP

First time ive entered this so here go's

1 piece english walnut top

brazilian mahogany wings and a 5 piece mahogany and maple neck.

cream binding and pickup rings.

sperzel locking tuners.

ebony compensated nut.

wenge fretboard with custom Z inlay.

gotoh hardware.

hand made pickups.

wooden cavity covers held in place by magnets

all topped off with an oil and wax finish.

thanks

Dickie

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

DSC00008.jpg

Edited by Dickie_rayne