Ez Headstock Scarfing Jig

Buter

I've just rebuilt my shop and included a router table into one end of my assembly bench. I'll be getting another router at some point but for now, my only decent router is doing a bat impression.

I was working on a new neck and needed to do a scarf joint for the headstock but didn't want to unbolt the router so I took the opportunity to have a cold one and ponder on the situation.

What I came up with has probably been done before and is nothing ground-breaking but for nothing more than some scrap MDF 4 screws and some glue, it gave me a perfect joint easier than any other way I've ever done one. Set the max depth of cut you want on the router and then you don't have to move it again, just move the workpiece down in the jig.

jigweb3.jpg

jigweb2.jpg

jigweb.jpg

This jig is dead simple and works a treat. I'd love to be able to use the method that Perry posted but workspace/budget would have to be altered to get a big jointer.

If you wanted to get fancy you could make an adjustable one pretty easily but I like simple things so I'll just make a jig for whatever angle I need.

Cheers

Buter

I've just rebuilt my shop and included a router table into one end of my assembly bench. I'll be getting another router at some point but for now, my only decent router is doing a bat impression.

I was working on a new neck and needed to do a scarf joint for the headstock but didn't want to unbolt the router so I took the opportunity to have a cold one and ponder on the situation.

What I came up with has probably been done before and is nothing ground-breaking but for nothing more than some scrap MDF 4 screws and some glue, it gave me a perfect joint easier than any other way I've ever done one. Set the max depth of cut you want on the router and then you don't have to move it again, just move the workpiece down in the jig.

jigweb3.jpg

jigweb2.jpg

jigweb.jpg

This jig is dead simple and works a treat. I'd love to be able to use the method that Perry posted but workspace/budget would have to be altered to get a big jointer.

If you wanted to get fancy you could make an adjustable one pretty easily but I like simple things so I'll just make a jig for whatever angle I need.

Cheers

Buter

Very very cool. I like it.

>Snip pics<

Cheers

Buter

Very very cool. I like it.

Yep, that's the way I do it as well. Router tables do make a difference . :D Also works well for angling the headstock face on a laminated neck blank as well.

MK

Edited by MiKro

Thanks guys, compliments from the two of you are well received.

It's funny how some of the simplest ideas give us the best results.

My next jig is going to be an adaptation of your conical radius Jig, Mk. I hope that it turns out half as well as yours.

Cheers

Buter