Where To Find Black Phenolic?

ModulusMK

Ran into an interesting product today at the market - a company called Preserve makes a series of cutting boards out of recycled materials. They had one that appeared to basically be black phenolic:

http://www.preserveproducts.com/products/p...ttingboard.html

It's made out of a material called "Paperstone". Browsing around their website, it sounds like it's basically phenolic, but made out of recycled fibers, and using some interesting materials to make some of the resins. This page describes the manufacturing process.

So while the easily available cutting boards wouldn't be big enough for your uses, and the buying a very large piece designed for a countertop might be cost-prohibitive, I do know that everywhere I've gone that installs countertops is more than willing to part with offcuts. You may not find a dealer in your country that installs the material, but a few calls and you might find an installer willing to send you their offcuts. The manufacturer themselves may also be amenable, I don't know.

The examples I saw made as cutting boards seemed to have a matte finish - I don't know if they could be polished up or not or if you prefer gloss.

I don't know - I thought it was an interesting product, it seems like it might suit your needs, but it's not something that's going to turn up in searches for "phenolic" and such, as they're trying to market it to a different segment and for specific purposes.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks interesting since it is composed of phenolic resin. They say that they're trying to make the material non brittle (opposite of regular phenolic), so I don't know how will sound that thing...probably a little muddier than phenolic. Maybe I'll contact them.

Finally I got in touch with the guy from eBay, his servers or something were broken, that was the big delay in reply. We exchanged a few mails and now he is not replying again. Probably again some problems...I'm going to call him this afternoon.

He has a lot of XX black phenolic as he said, they are 5/16", a little thicker but I will sand them down to 1/4". I hope he would be willing to send them here.