Guitar Of The Month For June

Guitar of the Month for June  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

And again, another hard decision to make...

I will vote for davee5 or SJE or dickie, but I'm really not sure yet. They're all great.

- jvillavicencio: great work. I don't like the P-Bass shape too much, but that conversion from old to "new" is amazing

- southpa: nice guitar, the holly laminates look very interesting.

- feral_smurf: if I can't decide between my three favourites, I will chose this one. VERY cool!

- andyt: WOW! another very cool guitar, I love the colors...

- avangers63: good work, but honestly, to me it just looks ugly...

voted for davee's koa semi-hollow, just first rate work.

The Z1 is pretty cool too, but we can only vote once.

Avenger: A guitar that I really liked. It is sooo totally "off" that I dig it. The colors make it stand out in a child's toy way that I like.

Andyt: Looks like a really nice swirl. Unfortunately (for Andy) I'm no fan of swirls.

Southpa: Really nice looking body and impressive finish. IMO it doesn't really work with that specific head shape thou

Davee: What can I say? A really really nice guitar. I think I remember it from another thread too. Some design issues or similar but I might be wrong. Anyway: Great details, from the bindings to the matching pickup rings. Classy.

jvillavicencio: A great project and a really nice result. Now lets see some original designs :D

SJE: Nice woods. Clean build. Nice wooden HB rings and knobs. The body shape is a bit too close to a Strat to make me not trying to look at it as a Strat. And for a Strat it looks a bit too bulky. I think that you would get away with it if you tweaked the shape a bit more. And what about the inlays on the body? In the way they are placed they looks like a goof cover up.

feral Smurf: Made me laugh out loud. In a good way. Looks like a party guitar.

Dickie rayne: I'm a bit torn apart over this one. The body looks great (fantastic wood) and the over all quality of the build look well executed. However I don't really get the concept of using a FR bridge but no locking nut. It's a bit pointless. And the head shape outs me off together with that body shape. I'm guessing that it also is a 25,5" scale and together with that head it makes the proportions a bit wrong. Makes it look too long.

OK, It might not be a too hard bet that Davee got my vote. A really tough month this month. For anyone up against Davee...

Well as I said in the my post I'll just make up the numbers as it was blatantly obvious who was/is going to be the runaway winner. Davee5 got my vote - regardless I'd never vote for my own work!

Just to clarify the front inlay was just a moment of madness cum inspiration not a goof cover up - I have previous photos without the inlay dots. They were laid out on the body to kind of mimic the grain and also with the pattern I actually was considering putting a star in the centre between the HBs the dots being the tail but once I inlaid the dots I thought I like it as it is - so stopped at that point.

As for the shape - it actually started out looking far different but the design was just done out of my head rather than copying the strat shape directly. How it compares dimension wise I really do not know! :D

Forgot to mention, the one thing i found wrong is that the strings are too high above the freatboard and T-O-M don't have any room to be lower... (hope i am mistaking).

http://www.devansdesign.com/files/semiholl...mihollowTop.jpg

I think you're right as there is no neck angle - but the neck has been left higher to try an compensate but doesn't look like it's quite enough . . . :D

Thanks for all the kind words, guys! I really dig on the Z1 and Lesser Spotted Ironwood builds too, I'd do some things differently with the shapes but they're real nice instruments. Also I love the build quality and pitch-perfect humor of the The Yellow and Black attack. Probably not going to go out and buy one, but it's probably my second favorite! There's a lot to be said about making a guitar that is exactly what it is supposed to be, every detail is just right for that build and it's well executed for it's intention.

Real quick reply RE: the action. The neck angle is there but very, very slight because it's effectively a flat top with just a slight curve relief over the face, just enough to give it some visual depth. That and the setup I used while routing slipped a bit and gave me less than I was planing for...

Ultimately the action is probably higher than the yellow, pink, green, and black attack's, but it's mostly the sideways lighting in that shot that makes it look a mile in the air. I play 13's with pretty heavy attack, so I keep 'em higher than most to avoid fret buzz. For a while I had them setup suuuuper low, but I would get buzz when fretting chords at the nut (also, the second fret needs to be releveled just slightly, which exacerbates the issue).

I will admit that the lack of a true carve and the current neck angle force the TOM to be higher than I'd like visually (though it's actually got enough room to drop until the strings hit the fretboard), but that's what you learn on your first build. Personally, I think it's not too hard to get the details right if you're willing to sweat the small stuff, but there are some subtleties in instrument design that all the reading in the world won't help you get right until you've tried your hand at building. Lessons for the next one! (Which will definitely be a ways out).

Thanks again, all, I deeply appreciate the thumbs up given from a community that's been a great help to me.

-Dave

the front inlay was just a moment of madness cum inspiration not a goof cover up - I have previous photos without the inlay dots. They were laid out on the body to kind of mimic the grain and also with the pattern I actually was considering putting a star in the centre between the HBs the dots being the tail but once I inlaid the dots I thought I like it as it is - so stopped at that point.

OK, I were just thinking out loud. I remembered Mickguards Tele from waaayyy back were he inlayed some starts to cover up a goof, so that's were that question came from. I hope I didn't offend you as it wasn't my intention...

the front inlay was just a moment of madness cum inspiration not a goof cover up - I have previous photos without the inlay dots. They were laid out on the body to kind of mimic the grain and also with the pattern I actually was considering putting a star in the centre between the HBs the dots being the tail but once I inlaid the dots I thought I like it as it is - so stopped at that point.

OK, I were just thinking out loud. I remembered Mickguards Tele from waaayyy back were he inlayed some starts to cover up a goof, so that's were that question came from. I hope I didn't offend you as it wasn't my intention...

Certainly no offense taken! :D

late to the game on this one

avenger - i think it looks really neat. maybe a little tubby because of the round overs but pretty nice. The headstock doesnt really work and i would have had the pickup put straight. other than that i think its a really successful corvus

andyt - i am liking swirls at the moment but more gravitating towards 1 or 2 colour clean swirls. i think maybe i am just a little too young to appreciate this fully. is a nice build though

southpa - with a little work on the upper horn i think you would have a great design here - maybe just a bit more length ??? that heel is gorgeous, that inlay is hideous

davee - just makes me want to go outside and keep on walking. whats teh point when people are doing that for their first guitar!! yes, i voted for it too

Jvillavicencio - looks like really good work but i think i would have preferred a more sympathetic restoration to original spec. it no longer looks like 75 fender at all

SJE - the wood and constuction is really nice - not so sure abotu the shape. mainly around the horns it seems a little uneven

feral smurf - its certainly a lot of fun and thats all that really matters

dickie - that walnut is amazing. and i really like your wood chocie for the neck too, not sosure about the cavity covers or the cutaway

I had to go for Davee5's koa semi-hollow... It makes me glad I didn't have anything to enter this month! Spectacular doesn't cover it... I should be in next month's though... :D

Wow, its so hard to choose this month!

Avengers - As much as I like the idea and thought of something original, I'm going to have to pass. I do understand that you've basically built a childhood dream guitar here, and I have a lot of respect for that! I personally would have cut the headstock right off.

AndyT - That's a pretty cool Jem! I'm sure its been done with the acrylic pick guard, but that's the first time i've seen one. I'm not a big fan of the swirrl though. Being colorblind, this guitar makes me say "Nice work, but its a little too exciting for me."

Southpa - I think this is the first build I've seen from you. I really do like it. I especially like the holly laminates running along the neck block!

Davee5 - I really liked this one. I liked everything from the flowing grain pattern, to the flow of the knobs, and the flow of the furrles! The F-Holes are pretty sweet too. I like the logo, headstock design, and there really isn't much I don't like about this guitar. I'm not a fan of semi-hollow guitars, but this one got my vote! Rockin control cavity as well!

Villavicencio - Nice restoration! Bravo! The neck looks a little twisted in that pic, but I'm sure it plays like a beaute. I'm a pretty big fretless fan!

SJE-Guitars - If anything, I just find this guitar to be interesting. I keep finding new things on it every time I look. If I had ADD, I'd be set for life looking at your work here. The cutaway on the bottom horn bothers me a little bit, but I'm sure I could get over it if i were to see it in person.

Feral Smurf - I laughed and smiled when I saw this. Its pretty cool! I would clean up my guitar before I submitted it to a contest though. Other than that, it looks like it was fun to make!

Dickie Rayne - I really like this spin on an LP. It catches my eye just because of the familiar shape, but you've added your own slightly pointy touch. The difference in controls, cosmetics and bridge are what made me want to vote for this one. If Dave's wasn't here, I would have voted this one. Its cool, because I was actually wondering if that headstock would look okay with an LP style body. Pretty cool!

Davee gets the nod from me this month. Really don't have much to say except, if that's your first, I can't wait to see the next ones. Great job.

Dickie comes in a close second. Really dig that shape.

Great job by all!

Davee5 - WOW! I've been waiting a long time to see the finished product and it was well worth the wait. I don't know what to say that hasn't been said; beautiful guitar! You got my vote.

Avenger - You know, I liked this build...until you painted it. I just cannot dig the matte 'caution tape' color scheme you've got going on here. :D

AndyT - Nice swirl! I'm not a fan of that guitar style, but it looks very nicely done.

Feral - HAH! GHOSTBUSTERS! Awesome.

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy