Just A Teaser

Been working on this little by little for a while. It's actually an old project, but it got buried by some of my other stuff for about a year. There's a neck in approximately the same state of construction... but it's downstairs. I might take a picture of it later. Still working on the pickguard shape some, but it's getting closer.

x3j-body.jpg

Edited by fookgub

Here's the full mockup:

x3j-mockup.jpg

Equivalent string spread at the neck pickup is the same as the bridge pickup string spread on a normal jazz bass. I'll be using Bill Lawrence J-45's to deal with that. All three pickups are bridge size.

34.625 for the E and 32.375 for the G. The "parallel" fret is about 7.25 (just past the 7th fret).

Thanks for all the comments so far... nice to see people getting interested in my build.

This is going to turn out great!

Do you even need a pickguard on it, Fook? It's a nice, angular body that's going to be pretty different anyways.

I know this is after-the-fact, but does anyone make a blade bass pickup? An idea, at least, for a fanned build.

You guys and your multiscale projects, makin' me all jealous and stuff.

This is going to turn out great!

Do you even need a pickguard on it, Fook? It's a nice, angular body that's going to be pretty different anyways.

I know this is after-the-fact, but does anyone make a blade bass pickup? An idea, at least, for a fanned build.

You guys and your multiscale projects, makin' me all jealous and stuff.

I'll give the pickguard a little more thought. I had always intended for this bass to have one (and I've been planning to build this thing for years), but you're right that I don't really need one.

Pickups are a tricky issue. I did a pretty exhaustive search before I settled on the BL's (which I haven't bought yet, btw). I wanted something that sounds like a traditional jazz pickup, so that leaves out the side-by-side rail designs and some of the wild stuff like Q-Tuner and Villex. I don't like Barts or EMGs, so they're out. I didn't want to spend more than about $200 for all three pickups (though I would go up to about $250 for the right pickups), so that leaves out nearly all of the custom and boutique manufacturers. What's left is Carvin and Bill Lawrence, and the Carvin pickups have spotty reviews.

Of course, if there are any other alternatives out there, I'm all ears. I'd really like to find something that's hum-canceling, as the BL's are traditional single coils. I'd be interested in the Lace Alumitones if they weren't so outlandishly overpriced. Custom spaced Nordstrand NJ4SV's would be my number 1 pick if I was swimming in cash.

Still going back and forth on the pickguard. I really wanted to top-rout this one, but I'm having trouble coming up with a shape that will work with the electronics and not look wonky. For the finish, I'm leaning towards metal flake red, and I think it might be overpowering with no pickguard. A pearloid guard would look great. I may do a decorative pickguard like on the modulus flea:

fleabassred.jpg

34.625 for the E and 32.375 for the G. The "parallel" fret is about 7.25 (just past the 7th fret).

Thanks for all the comments so far... nice to see people getting interested in my build.

These numbers are quite unusual. I tried converting them into metric and the numbers behind the decimal point got even weirder. what made you go for these particular lengths?

These numbers are quite unusual. I tried converting them into metric and the numbers behind the decimal point got even weirder. what made you go for these particular lengths?

They're just fractions. 5/8 and 3/8.

But I look at numbers like this all day, so I guess it doesn't look weird to me.

Funny thing about the scale length... I originally intended for it to be 34.5" to 32.25". When I was printing fingerboard templates about a year ago, I noticed the my templates were coming out about 1/8" short. So when I printed out the final template last month, I added 1/8" to all the scale lengths. It ended up printing exactly to size (must have had different print settings the first time around). The slightly longer scale lengths seemed ok to me, so I just went with it.

Anyway, does anyone here have any photoshop expertise? I'd really like to get a preview of what the guitar would look like with the finish. I tried to do it myself yesterday but failed miserably. Mainly I want to see what it would look like with and without the pickguard, and maybe try a couple different pickguard shapes.