who schools who satch vs vai

The Nordic Gawd

satch or vai?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars
I'm now going to talk in general:

Steve Vai, is, btw, the very best rock guitarist on the planet (Joe conceded, senior year, that his student had surpassed him

You know, that's exactly what a good humble person would say about a good friend etc. B) He would be arrogant to say that steve still isn't better....

But then again, those two great guitarists are completely different, so you cannot say that the one is "better" than the other!

I still find it absolutely BULLSHIT to say someone is "better" than him or her....

If you want to find out, just let them play the same thing and listen who plays it the best in your opinion... yeah I said "your" opinion, because some people like for example a riff that is played technically perfect, or a riff that is slighty less perfect but has "that" feeling to it. Some can play it perfectly and also have that feel to it.

Or for instance some guitarplayers have that scratchy sound from the plectrum; there are people who love it and some people hate that sound. It doesn't make that guitarplayer any less good.......

So please let's cut the crap about who's better or not, it is simply not comparable because of musical styles and taste :D

Alex, thats what I was saying, I prefer Vai, due to his style. He's more bluesy. But neither is better.

Guest AlexVDL

I don't know what you mean with bluesy, but I think Joe is more blues influenced... steve vai plays some blues style stuff, but it's too technical to get that typical blues feeling. Joe has IMO more the right smooth blues feeling a la hendrix etc. Steve also can play hendrix style, but it just sounds too produced (don't know the right words). I'm only talking about vai improvising blues!! His studio recordings like tender surrender etc sound real convincing!!!!!

Just listen to the G3 jams with eric johnson.... you can hear eric johnson is a real blues style guitarist, joe plays real authentic sounding blues licks but with a bit more technical feel to it, but when you hear Vai improvising some blues licks it sounds like a shredder trying to hang out with the blues guys. Arpeggios and sweeps etc... they just don't give a blues lick "that" bluesy feel.

So about vai being more bluesy than Satch... nah he wish! :D

"Those who can... do. Those who can't... teach."

You really deserve to be banned for that!! B):D

Guest AlexVDL

You know something.... you may think I stand up for Satch because that's my kind of music, but no, I prefer Vai over Satch. I like technical guitarplaying, and I'm not much of a blues man :D

I urge you all to listen to "Axis Bold As Love" from the "In from the storm" Hendrix tribute album.

That's Steve Vai playin' Hendrix on a strat..... pretty good... pretty damn good.

Alex, no offense, but labeling Eric Johnson a real Blues style guitar player, is the same as Larry King (from the Bug crushers) labeling a Van Halen wannabee.... :D

When we talk about the very subjective concept of "feel" it depends as much on how the listener feels as on how the musician conveys the feel. One listener can get a more bluesy feel from Vai. If you're talking about who conveys the more traditional form of the bluesy feel, then you can make certain objective statements supporting Satch's approach because he sticks a bit more to traditional phrasings and such. But in projecting one's feelings and personality, I think Vai does as well as Satch but it's a bit more flamboyant and certain listeners feel that more. But then the bigger problem would be to define what "blues" or "bluesy" means.

Hmm...so I guess Alex Skolnick of Testament was one of the remaining three guys who did NOT make it in the music biz? I thought I was pretty sure he used to be one of Joe's Students, too...

Whatever, very inspiring story about how Satriani taught them...that's gonna teach me ;-)

so long

ace

Hmm...so I guess Alex Skolnick of Testament was one of the remaining three guys who did NOT make it in the music biz? I thought I was pretty sure he used to be one of Joe's Students, too...

Whatever, very inspiring story about how Satriani taught them...that's gonna teach me ;-)

Skolnick is great! It's amazing what a great jazz player he's become. The contrast from the music of Testament is... :D

Well i look at it this way: Satch taught Vai ..we all know that.....they both play pretty much the same, it's there personal touch to there own styles that makes the fork in the road. Satch likes to stay on the blues/rock side of things to where Vai likes to push his guitar over the edge making guitar playing more than just using your two hands lol. I love them both and have seen both in concert numerous times and i have never been disapointed......How bout asking the question "Had Satriani and Vai never met and Satch never taught Vai, would Vai be who he is today?????"...I think Satch said it in his "satch tapes" some times the teacher becomes the student when the student is progressing faster then the teacher came progress the lessons........they are both immortal in my book!!!!!!!!

so long

ace

I've heard that Alex was one of the students as well...

When I saw him live with the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, he was absolutely amazing. Hell, I'd put him right next to Petrucci and Vai for non-solo work. That guy can ****ing play!

sckolnick made it...he was great with testament and he still does session work...last i know...he is also one of the few virtuosos who playmainly metal

Have you heard his jazz stuff? His website has some clips. You ain't lived 'til you heard a jazzed up version of a Scorpions song :D.

AAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!***!!!!????

i truly believe now that aliens kidnapped metallica and alex sckolnick back in the early 90s and replaced them with nerds from their world B)

YOU ALIEN BASTARDS...GET AWAY FROM SLAYER!!!!!!!

Satriani just sounds like mindless babble to me

thats a bit extreme dont you think? satch is very talented player, but doesnt explore other styles as much, he would be more limited i feel, but he still is great! anyhow each to his own i believe.

... satch is very talented player, but doesnt explore other styles as much, he would be more limited i feel...

I can't really agree there. Correct me if I'm wrong but I've never heard Vai play banjo or harmonica in his tunes like Joe has done. Could you elaborate on how Vai explores more styles than Satch?

guitar styles, not instrument.

can't really agree there. Correct me if I'm wrong but I've never heard Vai play banjo or harmonica in his tunes like Joe has done. Could you elaborate on how Vai explores more styles than Satch?

anyhow i think Vai has shown alot of variation. the 7th song for example is very different to Passion and Warfare. he seemed to explore santana's style more in 7th song, where Passion to me is more of a rock album. Joe always seems to stick closely to the blues or rock, and dont get me wrong, he does it well, but i think Vai is more diverse in his musical accomplishments.

AAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!***!!!!????

i truly believe now that aliens kidnapped metallica and alex sckolnick back in the early 90s and replaced them with nerds from their world

YOU ALIEN BASTARDS...GET AWAY FROM SLAYER!!!!!!!

lmao!!!! B):D dude i seriously fell out of my chair. hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!! :D

guitar styles, not instrument.

can't really agree there. Correct me if I'm wrong but I've never heard Vai play banjo or harmonica in his tunes like Joe has done. Could you elaborate on how Vai explores more styles than Satch?

anyhow i think Vai has shown alot of variation. the 7th song for example is very different to Passion and Warfare. he seemed to explore santana's style more in 7th song, where Passion to me is more of a rock album. Joe always seems to stick closely to the blues or rock, and dont get me wrong, he does it well, but i think Vai is more diverse in his musical accomplishments.

Well my point was that Satriani offers as much variety and one way is through multi-instrumentalism (if that's a word). Playing a different instrument requires different technique, a different mindset, and versatility. And both Vai and Satch always remain very blues-rock oriented, anyway.