official carrieburst thread

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well then Derek, read this...

I don't want there to be any reason for anyone who wants to build a Carrie along with us not to.

My original intent was the more the merrier.

BIG HONKIN' THANKS to Jeff for starting the thread off as nicely as he did, a very nice and positive way to start off a year-long build. Those pics have got me down-right PSYCHED!

Christ, I'm startin' to think Jeff is as serious about this as I am!

But Jeff Forgot The Masthead!

Carmen 'Banannas Is My Business' Miranda!

OLE'!

miranda_doc.gif

OK, I'll start the rules section, this can be grafted onto whoever has more...

1) You are allowed to build your own body/neck.

2) You are allowed to buy your body/neck in an UNFINISHED state.

3) You have to sign in on Jan. 1 to be considered for the final participation finale.

4) You can build any type of guitar you want under the sun, this is more about a FINISH, not a particular guitar.

5) You have to apply and finish the finish completely by yourself.

6) For anyone who might be out of town and not on-line Jan. 1, there will be a 1 week entry grace period for stragglers and travellers and party-hards.

So Jan. 8th is final cut day.

7) Even tho we have really slacked up the qualifying colors for the guitar build, in some way to win the tutorial (I think) it has to be identifiable to the guitar community-at-large as a Carriburst, or whatever other name these things go by, but you get the idea, see pics above!

To be in the running for the guitar runoff, you just have to build it and finish it yourself.

To be in the running for the tutorial, you have to keep records and pics and make up your own quality tutorial.

PS, AFAIK, there is no need to document the building of the guitar itself unless you want to for your own purposes, just pick up the start of the tutorial information when you start the FINISHING process.

Easy enough? :D

My personal opinion would be no, but if you altered the center color, it could easily be changed to one.

Jeff did a great job of showing bursts that have the 'stain black then sand back' approach, and ones that were clearcoated plain and the 'burst was all done with toners mixed in with the finish.

That one looks like the latter approach, so as an example of a different and gorgeous style of 'bursting, it's great, but I wouldn't consider it an acceptable Carrie, seems to stray too far from the boundary line in color selection. :D

The one in question is as close as I could find to the ocean at sunset we discussed. Also, the diversity in the JET carribursts shows what is possible. The gate opens thursday, get ready boys and girls (did sacred sign up?). Also, is refinishing a body fair game?

Yes drak, I am quite serious. I guarantee a win. not neccecarily by me, but a win will be given. I have a few tricks up my sleve on this one :D

HaHa!

So do I Jeff, so do I! :D

Nice to see it's going to be competative!

Should make for some nice guits at the finish line.

PS, yeah, no problem with refinishes I guess, as long as it went down to bare wood.

Hmmmm, what do you have up your sleeve? B)

:D

i'm afraid i'm going to be withdrawing my prior statement of "i am enterring my SG." i just found out i lost a scholarship at school, so i gotta actually start paying for it...blast it...

oh well. i'm still gonna build it, i just might not have electronics/tuners for it for a really long time. i've already got part of the body, i just need a couple pieces of 1/2" maple and i'm ready to start building.

so if it has to be a 100% finished guitar, i'm out. if you'll take just a neck stuck onto a body, i might be in. depends on a lot.

Sorry man, but she's got to be 100% done, cured, completed, intonated, adjusted, the whole 9 dressed. No stragglers or half-baked projects.

But you've got an entire year, you'll work something out. :D

School's more important than this anyway.

Good luck!

Well, it we all have to wash dishes at the local truckstop, it will be done. I dont wanna have anyone be left oeut. 1 paycheck from a PT job would cover all the hardware, even if it meant we had to upgrade later.