New Here and a Question

I put new strings on my Takamine, last night, and, while tuning it during practice, noticed my D string didn't sound at all right no matter how well I tuned it. I began closely examining the bridge, and noticed something. Bear in mind, I've never looked this closely at the bridge before, I discovered what appears to be a very narrow gap between the bridge and the body, directly under where the string tension peaks. The outside edges of the bridge are firmly attached to the body. Is this normal, or is my guitar in need of repairs?:

bridge.jpg

Welcome to the forum... closing in on 1000 members!!!

Are you using very high tension strings? I've been using D'addario Pro Arte' Hard tension strings on my old Garcia since I've owned it (1994, built in 1974.) I just took a look. Nope, no gaps on mine. Member hyunsu builds classical guitars so his word'll mean more than mine but I'd say it's in need of repair.

Will you be doing this yourself or have it professionally done?

Thanks for the welcome.

They're regular tension, actually, and they're a brand I've not heard of before:

Albert Augustine LTD - Blue. The package describes them as concert level strings. $13.95 for one set.

Any repairs that need done will be done by a professional.

Welcome to the Forum!! :D

I agree with nyjbkim on 2 points. One is that hyunsu will probably be your best source of info on this and two is that it needs a repair. The bridge is the "link" between the strings and the top. Any gap in that link is going to affect your sound transfer and sound quality.

BTW this is not a difficult repair. There is a lot of information out on the net (and probably on this forum if you use the search) on repairing this. Basically you heat and remove the bridge, clean up the bridge and the top and reglue the bridge in place. Find a tutorial for the tools needed and a step by step procedure if you decide to do it yourself. If you prefer that someone else do it your local music stores should have someone capable of this repair.

Whatever you choose good luck and again, Welcome!!

i had that problem on my first classical guitar.

it was like yours.then it started getting worse and worse.

it will probably evetually start buzzing like mine did.

and if its not repaired,one day it might just let go and smash you in the face

with the power of the strings pulling on it.

this you probably know but just in case; never put steel strings on a nylon stringed classical guitar.

:D