Best Professional Guitarist

Rufieo

...what about Steve Hackett? try and listened "Genesis Revisited" and "To Watch the Storms"

... and what about Allan Holdsworth? :D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...what about Steve Hackett? try and listened "Genesis Revisited" and "To Watch the Storms"

Thats more like it, someone with a lot of versatility, the rest of this thread reads like a "Who's your favorite guitarist" thread.

Tommy Tedesco would be the obvious choice to me...Theres a reason he's the most recorded guitarist in history...

Al Dimeola has pretty much always been my most respected guitarist.

Even a fair amount of the guitarists listed would list him in their top favorite list.

...And still going strong, being creative, and pushing musical boundaries to this day.

Al Rules. :D

Then maybe Danny Gatton.

Then maybe Charlie Baty.

Then Roy Buchanan.

Then I'm done. :D

For me the best professional guitar player is not the one who plays more notes for second, is the guy who puts the soul into the playing. With tree or four notes he'll tell more than that guy who stumbles in his own fingers. what about David Guilmoure?

He plays simple and tells you a lot

At the moment I am listening Jeff Beck "Live at Lucca Summer Festival Italy 2010".

The guy is like Port wine, the older the better.

Alex Liefson (Rush) is extremely under-rated on a number of different levels.

As for just fun to listen to:

Albert Lee

Chet Atkins

Leo Kotke

Alex is highly under rated hence the reason why no one but me and you have mentioned him. under rated just like RUSH.

but so is Albert Lee. fantastic chickin pickin..

I was watching a thing on "the history channel"(what a misnomer),and they were talking about theories as to the creation of the universe,what shape it is,how large it is,and whether or not where the universe ends does another universe begin...

So much junk science is used to try to determine these things..they shot laser out at precise angles and "measured" the points at which they echoed or whatever,and determined that since the laser beams did a certain "thing",that the universe is flat rather than round...not questioning at all as to whether a curved universe would cause all measuring systems used for this purpose to read straight because if everything in the universe curves,all things must curve with it,including the perception of the instruments...

So then they talk about how the universe is infinite in size...but how can that be?and if it is in fact infinite then mathematically there must be exact duplicates of Earth and everything on it..

My point is this..if the greatest minds on Earth waste their lives trying to ascertain information that is impossible to ascertain,and that even if we were given the knowledge we still could not grasp it because our minds are incapable,then how can you imply that some earthly minds are more "small minded" than others because two people disagree on the "genius" of Rush?

Because surely by definition in a cosmic sense we are all incredibly small minded,and judging mental acuity based on musical preference is pretty small minded in itself,so you know....Hakuna Matata and all that...

Can't we all just be happy celebrating our ignorance?Surely there is another life form elsewhere that grasps a larger understanding of the universe than us,just as we grasp a larger portion of it than an ant..

Stupid is as stupid does.

I stopped listening to them after the record after Natural Science came out. I did like them... but their prog rock became too scattered for my taste.

I also read the drummer's book. Did you know he hates his fans?

I have no reason to support a band that doesn't support the people who put food on their table.

I stopped listening to them after the record after Natural Science came out. I did like them... but their prog rock became too scattered for my taste.

I also read the drummer's book. Did you know he hates his fans?

I have no reason to support a band that doesn't support the people who put food on their table.

You read Neil Peart's book and believe he hate his fans. Wow talk about mis understanding. Read it again.

He love's his fans but hates fanatics that will do everything in their power to interrupt his life. he is a very private man, Rush is Rush and my personal life is just that personal.

If he hated his fan so much he never would have returned to rush and the stage after the lose of his daughter and then his wife.

Sorry Narc, but you really are off about Neil. He doesn't talk to people and doesn't do interviews because he's extremely reserved with his feelings and not at all sociable to strangers. He doesn't feel that such a fuss should be made about him that anyone should think so highly of him. He's embarrassed with the (in his mind) undue attention the fans want to give him. He appreciates his fans, he simply doesn't understand them or enjoy their attention.

Also, consider the lyrics he wrote for Limelight: "I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend."

Geddy & Alex are the outgoing, personable ones who enjoy interacting with the fans.

I'm not set off or offended that someone doesn't like Rush. There are a LOT who don't . They're not a band that everyone will get what they're doing, like Led Zeppelin is for example. They don't write lyrics for the typical rock fan, and they don't compose according to the current trend. They're called "the thinking man's rock band" for a reason. All I've ever asked of someone is that they acknowledge their talent and abilities as musicians, not to actually like their music.

It's also ironic that you stopped listening to them when you did. It was right after that when they stopped making the epics and "prog rock" type of songs.

And I've always through that Jeff beck was really over rated. I've tried to get into him a few times, but he just doesn't impress me. Same with Alan Holdsworth.

Your universe thread reminded me of something I had said to a friend a while back.....but I can't remember the exact words I used....

Something like: Space exploration is the ultimate example of the saying "Out of mind out of sight".....If you stop looking at all of the problems of earth...you eventually forget about them, as well as never solve them......

A friend of mine used to go around saying " look a distraction"....

Space is so interestingly distracting!

I wish I remembered what I said though it was a lot better than that...

ANYWAYS....

Jumping in and kicking the dead horse...

Most influential to me

Ritchie Blackmore - (simply untouchable solos)

Toni Iommi - (\m/)

James Hetfield - (hope he regains what he lost)

Dave Mustaine - (still puts on a great show!)

Jim Matheos - (greatest prog guitarist)

Honorable mention - (I would not play guitar if not for these 2)

Dave Murray

Adrian Smith

Guys you would think I think are great but I will drop everything to listen to them

Billy Gibbons - (didn't understand until later)

Steve Howe - (close to the edge is amazing)

Andy Summers - (didn't understand until I learned music theory)

SRV - (I have nothing to say...)

EVH - (up to 1984)

Alex Lifeson - (I have played so many of his songs in bands over the years. He is great)

Always thought Kirk Hammet was a hack... liked the early stuff up to Master but everything after was bad. Actually Yngwie and Via also influenced me a lot.

Petrucci and Gilbert are amazing but really didn't influence much that I do.

I gravitate towards song writers and rhythm/tone/vibe more than technical brilliance. To me Billy Gibbons is one of the greatest... if I could play with just some of that mojo...

Ritchie Blackmore is the guitarist I can't copy... I love his solos but I just can't be that fluid.