Best Professional Guitarist

Rufieo

You know..just think about an atom...what does it look like?

atom.jpg

Kind of like a solar system,does it not?particles floating around a nucleus...atoms make up all life on earth and everything in the universe,as we all know...so what if our solar system is just another style of atom in a mass of atoms(other solar systems) combining to form a (to us) very large life form...or a big rock...and we just don't know it because of how tiny and insignificant we all are...

And what if what we know of as atoms are actually comprised of other particles so much smaller than them that we just can't see them even through our most powerful microscopes...and maybe they have tiny little people on those protons and neutrons,and the energy of the nucleus keeps them warm as does our sun for us...

Maybe our milky way galaxy is really just a small strand of fibers in some big creatures brain...and the billions of our years the universe has existed is really to that creature nothing more than one lifetime...maybe that creature is what we call god and our entire universe is only his body...and right now he is thinking about the vastness of the universe he lives in as he plods through his daily monotony reading about debates over who is a better guitarist...

But yeah..Rush is like sonic torture.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you hate when you try to get into a band and actually sit and listen to all their albums over and over again because you think it might be an aquired taste, and then after the 5th or 6th time on each one, you start to go "God Damnit, why am I listening to this?" *eject/put in the good stuff*

Well that's how I feel about Rush :D And Slayer's last two albums. And The Beatles. And The Offspring. And Metallica's Load/Reload CDs. And System of a Down. And Korn without Head. And U2. And The White Stripes. etc.

I tried that with both Slayer & Pantera. I just couldn't see what the big deal was.

There are plenty of bands that have a handful of songs that I like, but the rest of it isn't for me: Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Judas Priest just to name 3. Large catalog of music, but I don't care about most of it.

As we "speak", I'm trying out the White Stripes. I usually don't care for bands that rely on gimmicks, but I recently watched "It Might Get Loud", and that convinced me that they're worth at least giving a shot.

lol, I saw that too. I hate Jack White even more now :D To me, it was like

The Edge: (commentary about noise vs sound, and getting the instrument to speak the sound that's in your head)

Page: (commentary about making the instrument talk, and finding its voice and how to bond with it properly)

White: (i made a guitar out of a shoe, because it was hard to make it sound good... mini-me)

I suppose White has an interesting point of view, as he tries to get his inspiration by making his instruments more difficult to play with... I mean, as a person who can't create anything, I gotta give him credit for being able to do what he does with what he limits himself to.

But lets be real here, out of those 3 musicians, which one could be replaced by someone far more interesting? How many people do you know of who have been influenced by Jack White?

Be glad there isn't any one guitarist that stood/stands way above the others, otherwise the instrument would be already dead, or close to it.

They all kept the instrument alive. Even the one-hit wonders.

Even if you do find just a couple really great, how can you stand to listen to them over and over ? I can't do that. Would be like having to take a short-cut through the Sistine Chapel every morning on the way to the office and getting a little fed up with Michelangelo's work.

Something that I admire about Jack White is that he progresses.....I always see his skills progressing in each album he comes out with. Some musicians just settle with a skill that they can market; and market the s#!* out of it...cough cough kirk cough......

To me a guitarist or any musician for that matter is more influential when they continue in their musical studies.....A mighty fine example is my favourite guitarist; John Petrucci.....His skill is always progressing....well sometimes just speeds up

but thats just my opinion....

Peace!

Tommy Emmanuel, he's just incredible. His runs on an acoustic guitar would be hard to duplicate on an electric. My son is into him and I am more of a rock guy. (listener I just can't play). After listening to his jaw dropping techniques I'm a big fan. It's not just the speed it's the feeling and smoothness. He also can play a mean electric guitar there is a video of him floating around where he is playing a Tele.

Tommy Emmanuel, he's just incredible. His runs on an acoustic guitar would be hard to duplicate on an electric. My son is into him and I am more of a rock guy. (listener I just can't play). After listening to his jaw dropping techniques I'm a big fan. It's not just the speed it's the feeling and smoothness. He also can play a mean electric guitar there is a video of him floating around where he is playing a Tele.

I'm assuming living guitarists??

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of great guitarists being mentioned here (RestorationAD got a lot of it right) but I feel a few has been lost to the Rush debate :D

My all time favorite will always be Slash - great, catchy leads, good tone/timbre, lovely hat.

Other guitarists worthy of mention:

Steve Lukather

Richie Kotzen

John Mitchell (Arena, Kino, Frost, It Bites)

Joey Eppard (3) - Unique style

Daniel Gildenlöw (Pain of Salvation)

Mattew Bellamy

Roine Stolt (Flower Kings, Transatlantic, Agents of Mercy)

Adam Jones (Tool)

Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth)

• 2 months later...

Wow, five pages of replies and note one person mentions Steve Vai?! I'm not his biggest fan, but that guy has pretty much mastered the electric guitar and has technique for days compared to most of his peers.

And for sheer ability, I'd say Guthrie Govan. He can sound like any famous guitarist to ever walk the earth, and do it well, as well as having his own unique compositions and style.