Black Walnut As A Fretboard?

Hi all -

I found this thread using the search, but it was originally created several years ago and the posts won't display, so...

Before I waste a lot of time making one, how does black walnut work as a fretboard? I am in the planning stages of a guitar that will have a walnut neck and body with a figured maple cap. I was planning on making the fretboard from the same walnut as the neck and body. Is it suitable?

Thanks for any pointers.

Edited by 82cabby

Very odd. There was a forum crash in the past which might have screwed this up.

I wouldn't use it. I don't think Walnut has the durability to work as a fingerboard and you would probably have to finish it the same as you would Maple. Fret retention is usually the biggest yes/no with any fingerboard material, however if you are dead set on Walnut you could epoxy or CA them in.

A particularly beautiful piece of Walnut would make a great candidate for acrylic stabilisation, definitely. A plain piece, not so much. You're obviously trying to tie in the major elements of the instrument together which is a good idea, however bringing the fingerboard into that equation may undermine the good work elsewhere. You can of course always add Walnut in as accent to the fingerboard, whether those be inlays or as a purfling line. In that respect you can maintain the uniformity you're aiming for without endangering the build from a reliability point of view.

Thank you for the replies. I am not dead set on walnut for the fingerboard. It would give the look I was going for and I happen to have a lot of it in the shop. I also have maple I could use. I'll have to mock the guitar up and see if I could live the look of the maple fingerboard on the walnut neck. Worst comes to worst I can order an ebony fingerboard which will maintain the dark coloration I was planning on.

Thanks for the advice!

• 3 years later...

Zombie thread, but an update based on testing; black Walnut seems to work well enough however it definitely needs some sort of finish. Pulling frets from my test scrap brought up a lot of chips. Glue isn't 100% necessary during fretting. I don't think Walnut is an ideal choice unless you want to use it for looks, or as a single-piece neck like myself.