Titebond Clamp Time

Johnny Foreigner

For titebond the working time is like 5 minutes, meaning it starts to set in 5 minutes so you've got to get your stuff aligned before then. Then they say 30 minutes clamp time, which means you can take the clamps off after that time, but 24 hours before you can stress the joint. Unless I need the clamps for something else I just keep the piece clamped for a day.

The only time I take clamps off early is if I need them for something else.

+1.

I don't have enough clamps. So I just plan ahead. I'll do a glue-up late at night so that in the morning I can take the clamps off and use them in the shop throughout the day. During the day's work I make sure that I have something ready for glue-up that night. So pretty much the end of every work day is either glueing in a filler strip, or glueing on a fingerboard, and also glueing up a body blank, since I do have enough clamps for that. I'm gonna get some more clamps and be unstoppable! Bwa-ha-ha-ha!

+1 on all Spoke's advice.

I buy clamps every time I go to a hardware store even if it is only just one or two. This way I can leave my stuff overnight. It is humid here a good part of the year and the glue needs the extra time to set up.

If you are in a rush you might have the wrong hobby... I like to build a few at a time so something is always dry enough to work on. We had a thread about "What to do while the glue dries?" I think a good answer is anything but work on the piece you just glued.

Your mileage may vary....