Best Way To Cut Wood Into Thin Pieces For Back And Sides

Not trying to shoot you down.. but judging by your posts, it sounds like you have little or no experience with woodworking. Guitar making requires a lot of complex woodworking processes that take years to get good at. Particularly acoustic guitars. A first thought would be do some smaller, less expensive projects to start out. Get the feel for the tools, and how things work. If you have no interest in anything other than guitars. I would suggest starting out with an electric guitar instead. Still very complicated but your working with solid wood that needs no bracing or bending. Just my 2 cents.. would hate to see an aspiring luthier get discouraged!

Best of luck and welcome to the Forum!

Not trying to shoot you down.. but judging by your posts, it sounds like you have little or no experience with woodworking. Guitar making requires a lot of complex woodworking processes that take years to get good at. Particularly acoustic guitars. A first thought would be do some smaller, less expensive projects to start out. Get the feel for the tools, and how things work. If you have no interest in anything other than guitars. I would suggest starting out with an electric guitar instead. Still very complicated but your working with solid wood that needs no bracing or bending. Just my 2 cents.. would hate to see an aspiring luthier get discouraged!

Best of luck and welcome to the Forum!

True, I have little experience with larger woodworking projects. I was exceptional at woodwork at school, but chose a completely different career in Engineering/IT. Now I have more time on my hands (and money to buy tools!), I want to pursue woodworking as a hobby. I have built a number of wooden ships, so have a large array of small specialized tools, but would like to tackle larger projects, and I believe I have the patience (at least) to build an acoustic guitar. I understand it will take years, but I've got the will to get there! Glad to find helpful people on this forum, and all advice is listened to.

Edited by Tazer

G'Day Tazer, I note some excellent replys to your post.

Something I would really think about if you want to build Acoustic guitars is doing a luthier building course.

Regards,Robert

I'm new to guitar building and am interested in building an acoustic hollow body guitar. I have some thick pieces of rosewood (about 1.5" thick and 12" wide) which would be ideal for the back and sides, but have no idea how I'm going to cut it down into the thin thickness required. How is the best way to cut this? I have no power saws of any kind at this stage. Is a table saw the way to go? I suppose I could find someone in my area who could do it for me, but just wondering how other guitar makers do this?