Looking to put a pickup in current acoustic

I currentlly have an acoustic guitar and i would very much like to put a pickup in it to add a bit more to its versatility.

can anybody recomend a pickup that would be good for the job and wouldnt require too much modification to put in.

i realise that im going to have to drill a hole for the output jack and so i was also wondering whether i would need to reinforce the area around it from the inside

as always all help is apreaciated

cheers guys

Are you trying to put an electric guitar pkp in it?

You know you can't use 'normal' acoustic strings anymore, right?

And you don't want to use a soundhole pkp?

There are lots of different soundhole pkps out there that require no drilling and no modding at all. Everyone makes one of those.

If you have a piezo (and pre-amp) installed under the bridge, you can still use acoustic strings with it.

If you want to get fancy, you can have a piezo and a soundhole pkp installed, and figure out a mixing/blending thing for it (probably part of the pre-amp if you get the right one).

If you route a hole in the guitar for a pkp, you'll more than likely cut thru the top bracing, not a good idea at all. Stick a mirror inside and see where the bracing is going to see if you have room.

Even if you have room, you'll deaden the acoustic qualities of the instrument by hanging a pkp off the top soundboard.

The most non-invasive way is to use a soundhole pkp or have a piezo installed or both...

FWIW...

the guitar im looking to put the pickup in is just a normal nylon string folk guitar and id quite like to keep it that way. the pickups ive seen on stew mac that i liked the look of were the transducers that sit under the bridge saddle

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_p...ine_Pickup.html for example. i figure it would probablly be easier to get someone who new what they were doing to install it for me tho lol.

i dont want to have to get too much work done to the guitar however at the same time i dont want to end up with a pickup that sounds poor.

you could take a singel coil or humbucker that is lying around take a thin peice of wood router out the shape for the pick up and then notch it and make it fit into the sound hole

i did this yesteday and it works great all u have to do is put a jack on the pickup leads use a end pin jack like the stewmac one Saber shows

guitarchump Posted on Jan 3 2004, 01:39 AM

you could take a singel coil or humbucker that is lying around take a thin peice of wood router out the shape for the pick up and then notch it and make it fit into the sound hole......

this would work with steel string acoustics. i dont think it would work well on nylon strings because only 3 of them have any metal on them, the wound ones. the top strings arent likely to be picked up using this plan if its a nylon. correct me if im wrong tho!

mike