Delta Drum Sander Trouble (again)

killemall8

Apparently this drum sander has this problem. I found hundreds of hits for guys having the same issues you do. The only help I found was "Adjust it according to the manual" and be patient.

Looking through the manual I am pretty sure I know why the belt doesn't track right. The head is fixed and the belt table moves up and down. IF the belt table gets just a hair out of square I am sure it will walk the belt one way or another.

If it was mine I to make sure the belt table is perfectly square to the sanding head using the adjustments on each corner. The belt tracking is a secondary issue. Trying to compensate for an unlevel deck with belt tracking is going to be disastrous. I also assume that this has stretched the feed belt.

Read pages 18 and 19 in the manual here they explain how to set the table up.

My advice. Sell it. I did not read one article where someone has made it run satisfactory.

Thanks for the advice RAD.

The table is square to the spindle. I have checked that many times.

At one point i even messed with it so much that it was out of square ike 3/4", and it didnt make a difference on the belt tracking.

What doesnt make even more sense, is that the side that its tracking to is adjusted more than on the left. it should be tracking to the other side.

Yeah, there is nothing more annoying and infuriating than tools that dont work or that dont work correctly.

Aside from the tracking issue, it works well. I only payed 200 for it, from some computer geek guy that didnt know much about it. So i couldt really turn around and buy a new one after selling it.

maybe one day i will find a way.

• 2 months later...

Soo....

The day i have always dreaded is here.

It broke again today.

I couple years ago it had a problem where the gears that lift the table up and down stripped. They are just plastic, so i could see why.

But again, for the past few months, the table was harder and harder to move. I would have to pull as hard as i could to move it up and down. And yesterday, it snapped again. I havnt taken it apart to look at it, but i can see that the gear isnt spinning. It looks like it stripped off of the bar that they handle turns.

Turns out, there are no more replacement parts availible for this. I had ordered them last time, and the same siite now says that it is "obsolete" for those parts. They sell most other replacement parts but the ones that always break....

This is probably the one tool i do NOT ever want to build a guitar without again.

With the ribbon grained mahogany i use, i always get a lot of tearout with the planer i use. There is no way i can level and remove all the tearout by hand. I did it for years and it just isnt worth it.

Took it apart this evening.

Fortunately it wasnt the gears that broke again. This time it was the set pin that holds the gear to the shaft attached to the handle. It broke so it was just spinning. Made a new one out of a screw.

Still have to take a full day sometime and see if i can get this thing to work the way it should.

Man, every time i speak too soon.

I got the gear problem fixed, but

then i go to adjust the table to make it level on both ends, and something just isnt right. Any time i adjust the bolts for the table height, it locks up the chain and the handle wont turn.

This is beginning to be the absolute worst nightmare i have ever delt with. I have a 1200$ machine sitting there, useless, and unfixable. This alone makes me not want to build guitars again.

• 1 month later...

I'll check it out. but i have pretty much written it completely off as loss. Whenever something like this happens, i NEVER figure it out. so i dont really have any hope in it.

PS, it has been a MASSIVE pain leveling bodies by hand again. Having to sand 1/32" deep tearout from mahogany by hand sucks.

I guess that was all i had to say.
I worked on it again today. I took it completely apart and started from scratch.

The base plate was completley bent and crooked. loosened everything and completely re leveled it.

For once, i got something to work after i thought it was done for sure. It actually works better than before. Well, aside from the original problem that i posted this thread about. But i would rather have that problem then not have it at all.