Delta Drum Sander Trouble (again)

killemall8

Some of you may remember me asking for help with the Drum sander last summer.

It was shutting off the conveyor motor, like it was under too big of a load. I did figure out that it was because i was tightening the conveyor belt too much.

That belt was shredded from bad tracking... I thoguth it was just stretched out and whatnot. But i went and bought a new one today, and Now i have horrible tracking problems. I started everythign from stratch... All the set screws and tracking alignments. No matter what i do, or what i adjust, IT will track too far to the right, and there is nothing i can do about it. Any help? i have read the manuel like 4 times, and there is really no help there. I just dont know why the adjustments dotn help...

Please, anybody that has any idea whats going on here, please help. THe sander is pretty much unusable because the belt is so far off, It just goes OVER the edge and shreds. I cant turn it on or else it shreds the brand new conveyor belt.

What is strange , is that it is not evenly untracked either. From the top, it looks like this:

Sanderdemo.jpg

I dont even know how this is possible... This is bugging the crap out of me... I feel like smashing it... I worked on it for 3 hours today, trying everything i could think of. What am i missing?

Edited by killemall8

yeah you are back again..He he

I will assume the belt is a splice connectin and not an over lap meaning it can go both ways. Reverse the belt to start.

Then expect to make adjustments over time as the belt streches this is normal. Eventually it wil track without any adjustments. Dont expect the belt to be perfect either thats why I said reverse it.

If it continues to track way off have it replaced

yeah you are back again..He he

I will assume the belt is a splice connectin and not an over lap meaning it can go both ways. Reverse the belt to start.

Then expect to make adjustments over time as the belt streches this is normal. Eventually it wil track without any adjustments. Dont expect the belt to be perfect either thats why I said reverse it.

If it continues to track way off have it replaced

It has arrows on the back of the belt showing which way it should be going...

You want me to replace a brand new belt? I just got it today... and teh old one did the same thing.

First get detailed and adjust the drive roller non motor side so the drive roller is perfectly aligned to the edge of the table. Perfectly without the belt installed..

with the belt installed adjust the rear or non drive roller evenly until it just starts to tighten both sides of the belt. then tighten the motor side of the non drive roller so its starting to get tight, but not too tight. Then add enough pressure on the non motor side until you can drive the belt and the belt flat on the table. This pivots the roller and adds additional pressure on the motor side.

Drive the belt on the lowest speed setting

See which side it tracks too. If it goes right ( away from the drive side) tighten that side slightly. Keep going until it straightens out. If it does not track after continued adjustments then adjust the front roller out 1/8" using the two bolts on the non drive side. Contine to go bak and forth front a then rear adjustments

If the belt tracks to the left or toward the drive side then loosen the drive side. If that does not work you need to close the distance between the front and rear roller on the non drive side (move them closer together using the two bolts on the drive roller).

If the belt is not the problem its your adjustment method. remember this is a 3 point adjustment not two..

First get detailed and adjust the drive roller non motor side so the drive roller is perfectly aligned to the edge of the table. Perfectly without the belt installed..

with the belt installed adjust the rear or non drive roller evenly until it just starts to tighten both sides of the belt. then tighten the motor side of the non drive roller so its starting to get tight, but not too tight. Then add enough pressure on the non motor side until you can drive the belt and the belt flat on the table. This pivots the roller and adds additional pressure on the motor side.

This is the only thing that confuses me about your post. What is the driver roller? The only adjustments there are on the rear non roller motor side are teh hex bolts. Is that what you are talking about?

This is the only thing that confuses me about your post. What is the driver roller? The only adjustments there are on the rear non roller motor side are the hex bolts. Is that what you are talking about?

The feed belt motor is driving only one roller (the drive roller) that moves the belt and your stock. This is the out feed side of the machine. On the open end of the machine this drive roller is adjustable with two bolts in the picture below. This creates a third adjustment point in the process. Normally this does not need to be adjusted but it may need adjustment and is the first step to fixing your tracking issue. It could be way off. The plate the bolts attach's to is slotted which allows the drive roller to move closer or further way from the machine. The motor side is fixed and cannot be adjusted (not pictured).

IMG_1865.jpg

The idler or feed side roller is adjusted using two long Allen screws (hex) and two plates. Adjusting one side will also increase tension on the other due to the pivoting motion it creates. Also note there are screws and plate which are adjusted for the rough tension in the belt shown below. The Allen screws should not be fully extended and are for fine or final tension tracking adjustments only. I suggest you back off the Allen screws and slide the idler roller tight against the belt using hand pressure and the four straight head screws. These normally need to be made loose to slide on a new belt. Note positions of screws in the picture and compare them to your machine.

IMG_1866.jpg

IMG_1868.jpg

I will assume the previous owner has screwed up the belt alignment in all aspects, going from your other post and current adjustment issues. You have to get the machine back to where it needs to be. Again start with the drive roller making sure it is even (parrellel) to the table then follow my suggestions above. If all of that fails PM me with your email address and we can discuss it in more detail. Honestly it should be straight forward once you have the drive roller alignment set right.

I think you have right however the right side is still too close together. If it tracks to the right making the distance between the two rollers on the right further apart will send it left. Think of the two rollers as making a funnel shape. Big end (rollers wide) makes the belt travel to the small end(rollers closer together). The belt seeks lesser tension.

I suggest you increase the distance on the front right roller (bolts) further out and try again. If that does not work move it even further out. So keep the tension on the left to a minimal and keep expanding the right rollers further apart. As you expand the roller the pivioting motion will tighten the left side so keep backing that side off with each adjustment. Once it is close you can do fine adjustments with the long adjustment screws.

So right now the rollers are further apart on the left or motor side so it tracks right. Or maybe the belt is wider on the right side. If I look at my pictures the left rear side is not as far out as the right rear or it looks that way.. I think you need to continue but make larger changes on the right.

Eventually you will come to the point of equilibrium where the rollers are adjusted for the belt which may not be a perfectly aligned and parallel to each other and the tension is just enough to not slip under load. I would expect the rollers to look like the top of a V or funnel when you are close. Honestly it does not matter how off the rollers seam as it will not effect the machine. Also expect to have to adjust the belt (fine adjustment) after you start using it as it will stretch a bit.

Keep going

spoke,

I have tried ajusting the right side as far as it will go. There is no more room for adjustments on that side. Everything is maxed out, and it still tracks to that side.

Then I have no other ideas other than to reverse the belt regardless of the arrow. I will assume the belt is either so badly made nothing will work or is too big. You should not be able to max out the right side ever, you would rip the belt apart it would be so tight.

Who made the belt Delta or did you go for price and buy a third party belt?

I think it is time to take a few pictures and contact the manufacturer. Check the belt with the original and see how far off it is. It may be your machine takes a different belt as there were several generations of this machine. I am not saying there was but it is a possibility. The manual would give you a detailed breakdown of the belt part number.

Remember these people live to help you so dont be afraid to call them and ask questions..

• 3 years later...

Just thought it would be funny to bump this... still never figured it out. Still have to re set the belt ever 3 passes.

Just sold my machine that was doing something similar though not as drastic. About once a weekend I had to re-adjust the belt. GOt tired of it and bought a new one.

I know that the previous model to mine had design issues that created a tracking problem. They re designed and then released the newer model

I know its a different brand, but most if these machines are the same thing rebadged, or same parts with a different housing etc, so its possible that the tracking issue is this, a design flaw that you cannot fix.

My sander I've never had a tracking issue so they did work it out, I don't know what it was though as when I researched the purchase I was only interested to know I wasn't buying the one with tracking issues, however the damn thing does have the overheating issues (shutting off all the time) and I even cooked the PC board from overheating and had it fixed on warranty.

Well,

The thing is, when I first got it, it was tracking off to the left. THen i messed with it and now it tracks off to the right. So i did something that changed it. But i have since, in the past 4 years, done every single thing that i did before, in reverse order. And it never got fixed.