'58 Twins

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shaping the necks today. They're going to be pretty thin and with a relatively flat back.

I have determined that wenge smells like cat poop when it's being worked.

So does half of my crew !

Looking excellent .

What ? No guide fret?? :D

fantastic wavey grain in those fretboards

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...ic=42451&hl

^^ a little trick I think I invented.....

I thought everyone knew about it , but only me and Buter were gonna use it. :D:D I've had it work successfully 6 times out of 6 attempts , a 100% success rate thusfar. * shrugs *

free to utilize by anyone and 1/10th the cost of a nut... although not 1/10th as classy as your guide , either. B)

• 4 weeks later...

wip40.jpg

wip41.jpg

wip42.jpg

wip43.jpg

The necks are almost done. I let them sit around for a while just because there was no hurry - the lacquer on the bodies is still curing. I had the opportunity, so I polished the backs up to 4000, then soaked them in linseed oil. They look & feel GREAT.

I need to re-fret about 6 frets on the guitar. The beveling file jumped off track and gouged a couple of them pretty badly. Good thing I did that re-fret on the Dragon so I could learn how to do it.

• 1 month later...
How's the string guide working? One thing that stopped me from trying out a headless bridge/nut was the narrow string spacing of any nut I could find.

Also, does this bridge/nut use regular or double ball strings?

Thanks

Regular strings, and the string guide works like a dream. It has actually inspired me to try and make a nut from scratch.

• 7 months later...

Someone mentioned not too long ago about wanting a follow-up once the ax has been in use for a while. IIRC, it was Muzz.

As it turns out, this V has become one of my favorites. Everything about it is awesome. The neck feels great - thin and smooth. The action is nice and low. The whole thing balances perfectly - it stays EXACTLY where I put it, regardless of the angle. Lastly, it really sounds great. Between the limba body, wenge neck, and Rockfield pups, it's a real gem to hear.