Build Me A Cheap Neck....?

Fowl2338

Would anyone be willing to build me a neck-thru for under $80? It will be for my first build. Nothing crazy, just something like maple/rosewood.

Heck, I don't care if it's from some of your scrap wood!

I do not have the means to build my own neck....and I don't have enough money to buy one from carvin or stew mac.

If you are interested, post here or pm I suppose.

Thanks in advance.

Would anyone be willing to build me a neck-thru for under $80? It will be for my first build. Nothing crazy, just something like maple/rosewood.

Heck, I don't care if it's from some of your scrap wood!

I do not have the means to build my own neck....and I don't have enough money to buy one from carvin or stew mac.

If you are interested, post here or pm I suppose.

Thanks in advance.

Look around online and you'll find cheap bolt-on necks all over the place, like GuitarFetish and Brian usually has some on his site.

Eden necks are playable. They're all over eBay for $40 shipped.

And you probably don't want to do a neck-through for your first one. Too many little things to be aware of that you might not be aware of. Ramp up to it on a future build. Seriously - cut your teeth on a bolt-on first.

Bolt-ons are 25.5". I want 25" PRS scale.

I'm pretty dead set on a neck-thru. No neck angle.

I'm up for the challenge. Plus the plans I am getting are a neck-thru, so...

Neck thrus have neck angle and they can have no neck angle it depends on the construction of the guitar.

I'd prefer no neck angle because I purchased a Kahler 7300, which is a flat mount trem, for no neck angle guitars.

If you don't have the means to build a neck, how are you going to be building the body?

I don't have any fretting supplies, nor do I have the will or courage to build a neck right now.

You don't have a hammer and a piece of scrap wood?

As far as neck angle goes... You need to have all your pieces out in front of you before you start building. Neck angle on a bolt on is built into the body's neck pocket. However, it seems you're building a neckthrough, so that means it'll be built into the neck. Since Kahlers were originally designed to be a direct replacement for Tune-O-Matic bridges, you WILL need a neck angle. Typically, there's a 2* angle, and a 12" radius to properly fit the neck...

HOWEVER, it all depends on how high you plan on having your neck compared to the surface of the body. If your neck is higher, you'll need less angle. If your neck is lower, you'll need more angle. Look at Perry's tutorial to see what I'm talking about.

Make sure you understand what's going on before you start putting things together and cutting things apart. If you don't understand, search or ask first.

i like them recessed, but i dont do it to avoid working out neck angles!

your main issue here is budget. The average cost of parts for a neckthrough is going to be over $80 so how can anyone do that for you and get something out of it for themself??

But bolt on necks can be had for that money any day of the week. I know you want the shorter scale and have palns for a neckthrough... but it clearly doesnt match your budget, the only way tod o it would be to start scrounging suitable wood and do it yourself

Alright. What degree should the angle be

NOT BEING AN A$$ HERE..... but if you can't figure that one out, then you shouldn't be doing it yet.

your main issue here is budget. The average cost of parts for a neckthrough is going to be over $80 so how can anyone do that for you and get something out of it for themself??

And that's why nobody here is going to step up and do it for that price.

Combine these two and it's another reason to suggest a bolt-on for your first one.

Nobody is saying you can't do it. I'm just trying to suggest that you're probably not ready for it yet. Diving into the deep end of the pool right away doesn't make you a better swimmer. Ramp up to it.