Guitar Of The Month For April

Guitar of the Month for April  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

it was going to be the gecko for me this month... till the comiccaster was entered!!!

SJE - i think i would have prefered it with an ebony fretboard, and matching pickups. lots i like though, nice and raw and that bridge is great. the sheen on the neck shot is lovely

Metalhead - the inlay scheme and kill switch are great. the natural wood guitar is also great. i would love to see this with a matt black finish or something like that

Oblaty - i like the colour and design - a softer burst would really make it for me

avenger - Lots of nice features, personally i prefer shapes like this with modern aesthetics. normally cream and torty works for me, but not for me with this shape

guitarnut - great work on the finish, for me it seems like teles need a pickguard - not sure how that could tie into the design though

sardine - very nice and clean. i should vote for it but acoustics always need something extra special to be noticed in this competition - wheras this is quite pain but very well done - the top is lovely

Buttman - i like the inlay - i did a similar gecko myself a couple of years ago - going the opposite way though. very tidy and classic for the rest of the build with nice custom touches.

killemall - keeps getting better and better. the only thing to fault on this would be the grain of the cavity cover which i find distracting... i also think it could look much sharper with some binding around the body... black binding on this would be awesome

our souls - yep, i like this. I think it shows how some of the crazier stuff you are doing can work better in a more conventional setting. I do worry about wear of a lacquer covered poster and again i find a pickguard should be implemented in some way... but what is there works... apart from the string retainer. pickups look set a bit low too. My only experience of paper covered guitars is with a friends acoustic that was paper mached with snoopy comic strips for a newspaper.... i can say that did not sound good, and i would be concerned about the tonal impact of a paper and lacquer finish - but who cares, it looks great!!!

SJE-Guitars - the 8 String Monster

Well I've got a vote already! woohoo . . . probably be the last but cheers to whoever voted! :D

Metalhead28 - "INVADER"

I have to say when I say the inlays and the overall plan with the arcade button etc. I thought this would be absolutely killer . . . however I have to say the theme is completely lost with just a natural wood finished body. I know the customer curtailed things on the budget but this was crying out for a full on airbrushed graphics finish on a solid black finish. Don't get me wrong here it's a great looking guitar but the theme deserved so much more!

oblaty -

I like it very reminiscent of an ESPs but it's just lacking something that just grabs my attention enought to get my vote

avengers63 - Avenger mkIII

I don't like the headstock, the colour, the tortoise shell . . . just ain't my thing. But body shape is nice enough and at least you've used black controls, bridge etc rather than the usual gold! :D

guitarnut - The Texas Tele

Got my vote. Great looking guitar and as per usual your normal excellent craftmanship - I echo the words of Killemall - I really aren't a tele man but this is nice!

Sardine - OM-18

Exceptionally clean build with very classic lines and wood choices - however that for me is the problem to my eyes for an acoustic to grab me it has to be something different than stands out from the crowd.

Mr Buttman - Gecko

Very nice take on an explorer - it was a toss up between this and guitarnut who got my vote and the only reason this didn't was because of the control knobs . . for my some plain chrome knobs would of won it for me.

killemall8 - Explorer

Good looking build - but can't just put my finger on why it doesn't grab me as it should.

Our Souls inc. - the Comicaster

Fun looking thing but I just can't but help to thing how the coating will scuff up and look rough with use. I ain't a comic book person so I wouldn't even look at it twice in a shop - on that basis it could never get my vote.

Ok, here goes:

SJE: there is not a thing wrong with this guitar, but it didn't really do much for me either. very clean, very nice looking piece, but I'm not a fan of extra strings or natural finishes, so it left me a little cold

The invader: like others, once I saw the inlay and the killswitch, I thought this guitar was going to be mindblowing. And while it's absolutely fantastic, and shows incredible workmanship, it just ended up being less than the sum of its prospective parts, and ended up slightly underwhelming.

oblaty: love the finish, but there's something about the thickness of the body that I find slightly inelegant to look at. But very clean, professional work and a great finish.

avenger mk3: I like some of the details: headstock design and neck join design in particular, but the overall design lacks cohesiveness to me. Excellent execution, though.

texas tele: got my vote for three reasons. 1) i don't like teles, so the fact i like this tele speaks volumes. 2) last months thinline missed my vote by a gnat's todger, so I'm making up for that. 3) great build thread.

OM-18: the reason that we should have separate acoustic (and bass?) GOTMs. Looks *amazing*, but no acoustic will ever, to me, look as good as a lecky.

gecko: incredible work, but I think I'm suffering from explorer ennui. that and I didn't really like the finish or the abalone topped knobs.

killemall: ditto on the explorer ennui, plus I don't really dig natural finishes or wood cavity covers. really, really clean work, but not flicking my switch for whatever reason

comicaster: really just missed the mark for me. there's nothing wrong with it, but I'd just like to see you translate some of that incredible energy - which you currently put towards *quantity* - and use it for quality. Spend three months building something from scratch, that's your own design and that you pour some of yourself into.

The quality in the last couple months has been incredible. applause all round.

My vote went to the INVADER. I really like that the whole space invaders thing wasn't pompous and in your face; the charm is in the subtly.

A very, VERY cool piece of kit it is.

My vote almost went to the Texas tele, the finishing looks stunning as does the craftsmanship, I'm NOT a tele guy, but I'd play yours.

I chose between Metalhead and guitarnut. And finally Metalhead got my vote,i really like the inlay! Though i think the guitar could be better with another finish :D

Guitarnut - your guitar is very interesting and despite the original finish it looks integral.

If I could have voted for a guitar PART, it would have been Avenger's headstock... but the rest of the guitar is just not to my taste.

I voted for Sardine's acoustic. An acoustic guitar is always an impressive piece of craftsmanship. I think it looks very elegant... although I wish there was something, just a LITTLE something to give it some personality. It looks like a really nice guitar that could have come from anywhere... I'll take it!

Second place for me is guitarnut's Tele.

Sorry I don't have time to write something about each entry... I need to get some sleep.

Cheers,

This time for me it was between 3 guitars, Texas Tele, Gecko and the Invader. At the end it was the Invader... figure wood and stains and tinted coats always call my attention, but the simple design of the Invader called my eye the most. The Inlays brought me flashbacks of the countless hours I spent playing that darn machine when I was a kid! The kill switch was very ingenious too. The only one thing I would do different if I was going to make it was to use a matching cover for the control cavity.

Edited by Maiden69

ahh i think it just between 2 guitars for me. the tele and the gecko. i never thought i would like an explorer so much but this one is dam fine. and i love teles so im just trying to thing weather the texas theme is cheese or awesome. the quality and finish of both builds are at the same greatness... so i guess it just came down to which one i would play. and thats the tele

great buids this month guys keep it up.

well my vote with to metalhead im not sure why im not a gamer but i really dig it.

John i know you wanted to step up your game and i see you have with this build very nice lots of details the head stock loos like it was hard as hell to build very nice.

btw i love all the themed guitars im a fan of themed and tribute guitars in general they really bring out some creative ideas and let the artist show through.

I am being overly critical this month (and on) so remember one mans opinion is his take on reality not reality itself.

SJE-Guitars - the 8 String Monster - A+ construction and execution. Not in love with the body shape or how the woods colors go together. I felt like by themselves each piece of wood was excellent but together they don't work. The bridge and the pickups are awesome.

Metalhead28 - "INVADER" - I dig the Black Limba but still felt this one should have been Black. I never advocate painting a guitar but even a translucent black would have helped emphasize the Arcade theme. The Killswitch is brilliant and I will probably steal the idea at some point (\m/ props now). The inlays and neck are incredible on this guitar.

oblaty - Not a bad Music Man copy. The only thing to say is that your heal/neck bolt area could be cleaner as it looked a little rough.

avengers63 - Avenger mkIII - I enjoyed this build and the headstock turned out well. Excellent tortoise and creme usage. I would like to see the dark lams in the neck thinner as I really have no love for wide lams. Color scheme is spot on. I would like to have seen sharper lines on the headstock. (excellent first go and I know the next one will be awesome)

guitarnut - The Texas Tele - I think it could pass for a Fender Custom shop guitar. Very well executed. I think a translucent white would have helped unify the top but I doubt I would notice after a few days. Not sure I agree with the carve on the top.

Sardine - OM-18 - Excellent. We need a separate section for Acoustics ...

Mr Buttman - Gecko - A+ construction and execution from the man who painted a wenge and padauk guitar black. Not a fan of the knobs. The rest of this Explorer is spot on. Using my normal plan of "Which one would I take home?" I think this one wins...

killemall8 - Explorer - Another excellent KL example. See my above quote on wide lams in the neck.

Our Souls inc. - the Comicaster - Excellent novelty guitar.

It was a close call between the Texas Tele and the Gecko explorer. I ended up voting for the explorer, because it's the one I could picture owning.

A few months ago, I wouldn't have even thought of voting for the Tele, because the pictures just made it look... bland. But now that I'm seeing it in proper photographing, It really blew me away! I couldn't even tell that there was top carving on it from the earlier pics.

When I voted, I noticed that the invader is pretty far ahead. I'll review this one, simply because I'm confused. I didn't vote for this one because it looked nice until I saw the kill switch button... Kinda reminds me of a beer can in the middle of a crystal clear lake. So yeah, nice guitar, except for that killswitch.

When I voted, I noticed that the invader is pretty far ahead. I'll review this one, simply because I'm confused. I didn't vote for this one because it looked nice until I saw the kill switch button... Kinda reminds me of a beer can in the middle of a crystal clear lake. So yeah, nice guitar, except for that killswitch.

:D

A fair assessment, but in my defense, the guitar was meant to have the old school arcade touches, hence the Space Invaders inlay, and the arcade button goes along with that.

Obviously I could have taken that theme a lot further and maybe it would all make more sense, but in the end I kind of like the subtlety.

:D

A fair assessment, but in my defense, the guitar was meant to have the old school arcade touches, hence the Space Invaders inlay, and the arcade button goes along with that.

Obviously I could have taken that theme a lot further and maybe it would all make more sense, but in the end I kind of like the subtlety.

I think this guitar was well thought out and a tribute to all of use who spent countless hours playing that game.

If I was building it I would only add a neck pickup single coil. but thats me I'm different.

Well built and thats way I gave you my vote. as stated earlier.

Like everyone has already said, what a tough group to pick from.

I hate following the crowd, but, I think that Metalhead's Invader was spot on.

Personally, I think if you had painted it black, added a couple

more inlays it would have become a novelty guitar rather than

an actual player. The theme isn't overpowering and taking your

eyes away from the overall guitar. I think the "less is more" saying

really applies here. To me, this guitar looks like it just rips. I would

own this guitar.

Bill