Interesting Ibanez Finishes

I was wondering if anyone out there has any idea how this finish was accomplished and how one would replicate it...

Ibanez SHRG1Z HR Giger

Ibanez_new.jpg

If I were to guess Id say it was a laser engraving, but this one has a metal coating and a carved top, so I dont know how the laser would have a consistant focus throughout the entire process.

There is also this one, the RGHRG1 which definitely looks laser engraved:

RGHRG1.jpg

I think it would be rad to do something like either of these on a future build, but I wouldn't know where to begin!

im gonna guess your right about the laser etching.

if you dont have access ot a laser i you might experement with a sandblaster and some vinyl mask.

just a though.

Ironically, I do have access to a laser at the moment. The sandblasting thing seems like it would probably work, especially considering the contours of the body. But the vinyl mask would be a pain to cut by hand, so I guess that could be cut by a laser too...

i'd say that if it's a metal top most probably it's a chemical etch. think about the theory of Printed Circuit Board etching and you may be along the right lines.

it goes like this....

spray/dip a photosensitive coating on top of the metal.

add a "mask" /reticle over the top

expose to UV light

remove the exposed photosensitive coating in a chemical bath

etch the metal back in another chemical bath

expose the rest of the photosensive coating to UV

remove the remainder of the photosensitive material in a chemical bath

easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy!

if anyone says that you can't get the detail.... I used to work in the Semiconductor industry & we were etching tracks to 0.25μm (yes 0.25 MICRON) - I believe the industry can now hit below 0.15μm ( a human hair is about 50μm in diameter)

i'd say that if it's a metal top most probably it's a chemical etch. think about the theory of Printed Circuit Board etching and you may be along the right lines.

it goes like this....

spray/dip a photosensitive coating on top of the metal.

add a "mask" /reticle over the top

expose to UV light

remove the exposed photosensitive coating in a chemical bath

etch the metal back in another chemical bath

expose the rest of the photosensive coating to UV

remove the remainder of the photosensitive material in a chemical bath

easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy!

if anyone says that you can't get the detail.... I used to work in the Semiconductor industry & we were etching tracks to 0.25μm (yes 0.25 MICRON) - I believe the industry can now hit below 0.15μm ( a human hair is about 50μm in diameter)

I dont know about the "easy" part... But that sounds like a pretty realistic way for Ibanez to have done it. I dont know that I would want to go through all that on my own, but I may try the sand blast technique in the future and im sure I could get similar results just with wood or acrylic.

With the way that computerized routers and CNC machines are used today to cut guitar bodies, I don't think a factory laser etch job would be hard at all.

Ibanez would already have the exact body contours in digital format. Really just a matter of programming a different machine with the same information. Then a laser could easily trace the body contour and get a sharp image.

Lasers also barely spread over distance. There might not even be a need to map the carved top in order to get a sharp laser etched image.

Just my non-professional opinion :D

http://steampunkworkshop.com/steampunk-strat.shtml

found this he uses a chemical etch seems pretty easy in his little tutorial. i think a lot of it depends on what you have on hand i though of a sand blaster because i have one i can use when i need to. but the chemical thing would be easier if you dont have access to a blaster.

like i said - easy peasy