Ibanez Shrg7!

Then I took it to the next level. I began drilling holes for my pots and switch. I had to dismantle the drill press lever to get it to clear the body at that Angle.

My output jack is angled from the top of the guitar a la Ibanez S, so I had to calculate the angle from my control cavity and jimmy rig an MDF jig for the drill press. I then used a 1/4" forsner bit to drill my pilot hole, followed up by a larger one, then a regular bit the diameter of my flush mount jack to go through. Im pretty happy with the result.

p_00158.jpgp_00160.jpg

A quick mockup with holes filled and core inserted. Ill be using an Ibanez S switch plate since the thickness of my guitar at that point is insufficient to house the switch within the control cavity itself. Ill be casting a clear one for the corresponding guitar.

p_00161.jpgp_00163.jpg

More to come! I recently came to the realization that I now have only 5 weeks left to complete the two of these!!!! Gotta work overtime for now on!

Edited by MuffinPunch

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were you, I would have put in a Floyd Rose tremolo, but its still looking amazing, cant wait to see it finished.

Maybe next time. I originally wanted to put in a IZ ZR, but that was before I incorporated the concept of interchangeable bodies. I still have to work out the logistics of a floyd using this theme as well.

Im coming to terms with the concept that if these guitars turn out well, its likely that they will get quite a bit of publicity, both displayed in the gallery on campus (which gets a LOT of professional traffic) as well as on-line or through other public avenues. Its just the nature of my school. So I decided if Im going to be using the same graphic identity as the Ibanez Giger, I really should appeal for permission from Mr. Giger himself. At least that way im covered, even if there was never really a possibility of him coming across this project. Its just good form isnt it? This is not a graphic design exercise for me so any artwork done by an artist other than myself used in the displaying of this project is purely superficial. I didnt figure I would need permission from Ibanez since they built their reputation by stealing the successful designs off others, and because the artwork in question is proprietary to HR Giger.

This means I will hold off on getting the inlays cut until I hear back from Giger's rep with the OK or refusal. Its not the end of the world if I have to end up designing my own graphic and inlay. I really just wanted this to be a nod to the SHRGR1Z, since thats how this project began and has evolved so much since. Plus the time factor at this point will probably mean dot inlays and no body graphic at all if I cant use the ones I was planning on.

Im coming to terms with the concept that if these guitars turn out well, its likely that they will get quite a bit of publicity, both displayed in the gallery on campus (which gets a LOT of professional traffic) as well as on-line or through other public avenues. Its just the nature of my school.

Just be sure to point out that yours is just a spin-off of existing body styles.

Thats just an Ibby crossed with the Leviathan and MetalHeads headstock shape. I don't mean to condemn, but what you're doing here is wrong in my eyes.

For a guy with 0 builds under your belt, you're all ready to usher in the limelight as a builder. I just find it to all be premature. Especially since the "limelight" is coming from O.P.I. .......

The "core" is a patented idea already , and the rest of the design is borrowed at best.

Thanks, but I didnt ask... Anyway show me a body design that doesnt combine elements of existing guitars. There are really only a handful of body shapes out there that work as a guitar. Im not going to school to be a guitar designer, Im actually studying automotive and powersports design. This is just a way for me to use the school facilities to do my builds and get college credit simultaneously. Im not "hoping" for publicity, and I couldnt really care less whether or not I get any at all. But as I pointed out, its just the nature of my school. Who am I to tell the school board that they cant display work i created using their equipment and recieved credit for? I just want to keep my bases covered in case... If it weren't for credit coming into the picture, this design would have remained an near exact copy of the SHRGR1Z. I just love that guitar.

By the way, what did you mean by O.P.I?

Edited by MuffinPunch

p_00161.jpg

More to come! I recently came to the realization that I now have only 5 weeks left to complete the two of these!!!! Gotta work overtime for now on!

Looking good, might be a little bit tricky to get the finish on the body dead level with the insert, but shouldn't be too hard, what colour is this going to be?

Looking good, might be a little bit tricky to get the finish on the body dead level with the insert, but shouldn't be too hard, what colour is this going to be?

Thanks Muzz, I agree. Im going to finish the body before I finish the core, so If need be I can trim it down just a hair before oiling it. What color? Black of course! Im debating whether or not to add a little gold fleck into the mix, but I really just want the body to frame the core and not really stand out too much.

Edited by MuffinPunch

Thanks, but I didnt ask...

Who am I to tell the school board that they cant display work i created using their equipment and recieved credit for? I just want to keep my bases covered in case... If it weren't for credit coming into the picture, this design would have remained an near exact copy of the SHRGR1Z. I just love that guitar.

By the way, what did you mean by O.P.I?

Not to be an azz , but.....

The first statement shows the egotistical mindset you have. You put it up for public scrutiny ( at the place you got your ideas from ) and didn't expect anyones opinion on it?

Ha.

Work you created ? I find that a bit hard to swallow.

http://www.lgmguitars.com/home.html

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...st&p=455458

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http:/...%26tbs%3Disch:1

O.P.I. Other Peoples Ideas

This is all just *my* opinion, but I'm sure I'm speaking for others who just feel awkward to point stuff like this out.

again, for a guy with 0 builds completed , you sure do hold yourself in pretty high regards. I find it all to be computer-combined-pictures without a lot of originality.

If it wasn't a combo of geets from this website, I'd probably not feel the need to point out : You combined an Ibby , a Leviathan and threw in MH28's headstock just for good measures.

whether or nor you get any publicity , I just think its fitting to tip the hat to the original designers. Not claim the combined pieces of work as "your own" ..........

:D

Dude, are you f-ing kidding me?!?! Get over it! Youre obviously trying to be an azz. I was simply excited about the prospect of getting this thing done! I respect the opinions of people on this forum and wanted to share my excitement with them. So ,my guitar design happens to have elements similar to other guitar designs. For accusing me of being unoriginal, you sure say the same thing a lot. This is like the third or fourth time you pointed out that my guitar looks like a cross between an Ibanez, the LGM Leviiathan, and Metalheads HS. I get it, you dont think I designed it. Fine, you're entitled. I fail to see the connection between my guitar and any Ibanez besides the Giger model, and I specifically stated that I felt inclined to ask permission of Mr. Giger himself before I used his graphic on it. Any similarities between the other two guitars are purely coincidental, as Ive pointed out more times than I care to count. I went back to take a look at Metalheads builds to see what you were talking about, and relized they are similar, but after pointing it out to Metalhead himself, he appears to disagree with you too. The Leviiathan is cool, but It looks like someone took an RG to the spindle sander and had their way with it. I admit, it has cool aspects, but overall, I just dont care for it and its one of the last guitars I would try to make a copy of. The fact that it happens to have a return hook on the back of the upper horn is really the only basis you have for comparing the two, and as my "hook" is a completely different shape, youll have to excuse me if I dont give credit to LGM for designing my guitar for me. I believe design to be the proper combination of elements and proportion, not just coming up with new shapes. I have never seen any one guitar that shares all the same elements as my guitar, nor have I seen one with the same proportions as mine. Apples to Apples my friend. If you want to dumb everything down to its most basic shape to compare it, than the Leviiathan is a Strat copy anyways, as is the Ibanez.

Yes, I understand this is all your opinion (an opinion which you sound convinced is shared by many other "timid" posters on this forum) and I respect it. I just dont see the reasoning behind MULTIPLE condemning posts saying the EXACT same thing. My question was: "What did you mean by O.P.I?"

You could have just said "other peoples ideas" but you had go off on this rampant opinionated tangent to emphasize things that you already made pretty darn clear more than once on this thread alone. You continue to state that I get all y ideas from "this website", but Metalhead is the only reference you seem to be able to come up with. We have established that the HS isnt similar enough to refer to a copy and its similarities are coincidental not borrowed, so that reference can be put to bed. As far as I know, the HRGR1Z wasnt designed, built, and chronicled here. LGM may very well be a member here, but I havent run into any builds since I have been here. Yes, I probably got the idea of building a guitar from this website. Its a very inspirational place! And before you make accusations of me being egotistical, read my entire post, not just the part that makes you uneasy. I said "If these turn out well"... I am under no misconception that I could very well screw the pooch and fail miserably. I really hope I dont, and I want to make a beautiful guitar for my own sake, but if the school wants to use it in the student gallery they will. It happens quite frequently. I have had multiple projects show up there in the past, and it wouldnt surprise me if it happened again. In that sense I suppose I do hold myself in pretty high regard, but not above anyone else.

Im proud of the talents that I have, but not once have I claimed to be a talented luthier or builder, which seems to be what your so upset about. I suppose you'll respond to this post by stating that I didnt design this guitar so Ill save you the effort and post it for you.

"This guitar is a copy of an Ibby, a Leviiathan, and Metalhead28's headstock. I have also not built a single guitar and I took all of my ideas off PG"... Does that about sum it up?

Edited by MuffinPunch

It is truly hard to come up with anything innovative in a saturated done-to-death market like guitar design. I personally appreciate MP's approach to product design whilst maintaining the important elements of working instrument design, as this is something I aspire to myself. When I see an instrument, I not only appreciate the visual aesthetics (whether these are original isn't important) but also the underlying approach and technical aspects of the build.

This is a fantastic venture, and I think you're gaining a lot of good experience MP. Your original Tabar Zin didn't set my world on fire (apart from the laser cutting which always sets things on fire, natch) but you're developing well with your ideas and their execution. To hell with the naysayers, as copying/loaning/inspiration-from other designs isn't important unless you're making a commercial venture out of a design. Until then, tip yer hat friend and make with the sawdust.

Well, I think the build is cool :D

I don't see anyone yelling at killemall for his KL copies.

not anymore, anyways :D

I had stated earlier that it looked like LGMs shape. I really dont care if people copy any design... They are just designs. the only time it should EVER matter is if the copier is taking away business from the original designer... which, 99% of the time, is not eve possible. I feel credit should definitely be given, but i really dont see why people care so much about a "copy" It doesnt even matter.

It is truly hard to come up with anything innovative in a saturated done-to-death market like guitar design. I personally appreciate MP's approach to product design whilst maintaining the important elements of working instrument design, as this is something I aspire to myself. When I see an instrument, I not only appreciate the visual aesthetics (whether these are original isn't important) but also the underlying approach and technical aspects of the build.

This is a fantastic venture, and I think you're gaining a lot of good experience MP. Your original Tabar Zin didn't set my world on fire (apart from the laser cutting which always sets things on fire, natch) but you're developing well with your ideas and their execution. To hell with the naysayers, as copying/loaning/inspiration-from other designs isn't important unless you're making a commercial venture out of a design. Until then, tip yer hat friend and make with the sawdust.

Thanks. I really am learning a ton developing these designs and seeing them through.

To hell with the naysayers

Damn right.Haters be hatin'

Thanks

Well, I think the build is cool :D

I don't see anyone yelling at killemall for his KL copies.

not anymore, anyways :D

I had stated earlier that it looked like LGMs shape. I really dont care if people copy any design... They are just designs. the only time it should EVER matter is if the copier is taking away business from the original designer... which, 99% of the time, is not eve possible. I feel credit should definitely be given, but i really dont see why people care so much about a "copy" It doesnt even matter.

While I appreciate and agree with your remarks, I will risk beating the dead horse by once again stating that this is not a copied design. My San Dimas on the other hand, thats a copy without question. I guess you werent accusing me of that, but this thread is turning into a discussion on plagiarism, and of all of the other builds going on in this forum, this thread doesn't deserve it!

Honestly I dont know why you (now addressing OurSouls) have such a problem with my designs... We butted heads about almost the same thing during the early stages of my Tabar Zin build. Seems that so long as I dont attempt to create my own designs, you approve, but If I try to mix things up a little bit... well, this happens. Oddly though, I seem to recall you saying that "people would buy those" when I was developing this body shape for my Crimson King bass. Maybe you didnt realize it, but this is the same body and HS design appropriated for a 7 string guitar rather than a 4 string bass. I did the top carve differently, but thats it. If this pattern holds true, you'll wait until I actually start building that one before you accuse me of ripping off other designs, even though you witnessed its development...

O.P.I. Other Peoples Ideas

This is all just *my* opinion, but I'm sure I'm speaking for others who just feel awkward to point stuff like this out.

again, for a guy with 0 builds completed , you sure do hold yourself in pretty high regards. I find it all to be computer-combined-pictures without a lot of originality.

If it wasn't a combo of geets from this website, I'd probably not feel the need to point out : You combined an Ibby , a Leviathan and threw in MH28's headstock just for good measures.

whether or nor you get any publicity , I just think its fitting to tip the hat to the original designers. Not claim the combined pieces of work as "your own" ..........

:D

Tip of the hat, sure, but it's still original work. Hell, when I was a teen I drew something damn similar to the upper horn on this, long before Jeremy (who far as I can tell isn't even building any more, and I always found his waffle about copyrighting his guitar design to be, well, excessive and overblown), but do I care? No. Guitars are guitar-shaped for a reason, and Ibanez shares plenty of features with other superstrat makers, BC rich has crazy pointy horns all over the place, etc.

Make an original design that combines various aspects in a coherent, holistic fashion, and it is a new design. Everyone in the know will recognize where various design influences and elements come from; that's plenty. The original designers often as not built on what came before.

I build guitars in the 'Gibson' tradition, mostly; mahogany-ish bodies, often carved maple tops, mostly set necks. And yet they are my designs. The outlines and contours are unique to me, albeit very obviously belonging to a certain 'family' of guitar designs. I combine carbon fibre reinforcements, chambering, sometimes even carved spruce tops with bracing, design ideas I've seen in various places and combined into a whole. Do I acknowledge what came before? Of course. But the whole, if coherent, becomes a new 'original' piece of work. And it's not stealing other people's ideas, it's being part of a creative community where ideas spread like memes.

Sounds like most of us share a similar view where design is concerned. And though I realize many of you probably didnt intend on "defending" my design with your replies, I appreciate it all the same.

Sardine, you made it more plain than I ever could with just a few words. \m/

Edited by MuffinPunch

• 3 weeks later...

Despite what many of you may think, I have not been idle. This thing is trucking along and since I know how a little over a week to complete it, some decisions have been made. As far as school is concerned, I have been focusing on finishing up just the one. The graphic on the top will now bw sand blasted into the finish of the guitar after clear rather in the wood before primer, and the casting will have to wait. My other 2 builds have also been on hold for the time being. So... progress:

I started to drill the mounting holes and string thru holes and ferrule cavities into the core, but I must have been running on close to no sleep, cuz I wasnt thinking and I drilled the ferrule holes into the top of the core... DOH!

100_5416.jpg

So I had to mill it out and patch it with a piece of cutoff.

100_5418.jpg

Lets try that again...

100_5419.jpg