Ibanez Shrg7!

Here's an idea for the quick-connect, not sure how well it would work, but it's an idea.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Stormleader..._disconnect.bmp

I think I kinda see what youre talking about, the problem is wiring the leads from the pickups to a jack or plug that can be inserted into a mated plug or jack where the continuation leads are wired to the electronics. Then I have to figure out how and where to mount those plugs/jacks...

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea was actually to use flat strips of metal that would be mounted on the bottom of the core, and on the top of the body's cutout. Then when you screw the core into place they would make contact with one another.

I'm having a hard time explaining this, and I can's seem to find a picture on Google either.

-Stormy

Edited by StormLeader

The idea was actually to use flat strips of metal that would be mounted on the bottom of the core, and on the top of the body's cutout. Then when you screw the core into place they would make contact with one another.

I'm having a hard time explaining this, and I can's seem to find a picture on Google either.

-Stormy

I like that idea better, only problem with that is: as I pointed out earlier, the top of the core is not quite flush with the top of the body. I would have to either compensate for this gap by A. adding riser pads like the felt strap button gaskets im currently using, which creates a gap between the bottom of the core and the surface of the cavity making a connection like the one you described no good, or B. deal with the tops not being flush and try to "fill" in the gap with a decorative "plate" or something over the top of the core. This second option doesnt seem like such a bad idea considering that after I have cleared the body and added the matte Giger graphic over the top the core will no longer match. The "plate" could be sand blasted to continue the graphic, thus making the core integrated. My only issue is time. I really cant be spending a whole lot of it working on this during my last semester of school. My studies really suffered last semester when I tried to tackle building two of these along side the two San Dimas', and I didnt even really get into finishing, which I understand can be the most time consuming and patience trying part of building a guitar. Im presenting this as part of my Grad show this Dec., so it needs to look great, but its not the focus of my presentation so I dont want to give it too much attention just yet.

Yup, I can see where your coming from Muffin. Another thing to add to my original idea, you could make the contacts on either the body or the core out of spring steel, and put a slight bend in them.

Sorta like this: http://www.gpdusa.com/Floyd_Rose_Bridge_Pa...sion_Plate.html

Except with less angle, and the contacts not shorted to each other obviously.

Once again, just some ideas.

-Stormy

• 2 weeks later...

just looking through this thread, the whole concept seems very innovative =]

as for the quick connect...

Couldn't you perhaps have 1/4" jack sockets countersunk into the body of the guitar, with 1/4" jacks on the end of the neck peice? i'd imagine it wouldnt degrade the signal at all, you could perhaps use one for each pickup too. You'd have to use Stereo Jacks/Socket i'd imagine.

Just tossing an idea out there.

Yup, I can see where your coming from Muffin. Another thing to add to my original idea, you could make the contacts on either the body or the core out of spring steel, and put a slight bend in them.

Sorta like this: http://www.gpdusa.com/Floyd_Rose_Bridge_Pa...sion_Plate.html

Except with less angle, and the contacts not shorted to each other obviously.

Once again, just some ideas.

-Stormy

this is the way i would go, some kind of sprung contacts. maybe 4 or 5 being a good number without making things too complex, 3 being the minimum.

contact 1 = ground

contact 2 = Pickup 1 hot

contact 3 = pickup 2 hot

conatct 4 or 5 could be used for an extra pickup or coil split leads but this would complicate the compatibility of body and neck sections and it may be best to stick with a simple 2-pickup system with simple electronics

to get the most out of this kind of system it would need control consoles that dropped in too, colour co-ordinated nect to the contacts to show which ones work best together. then you could have a guitar case wtih 1-body section, 3 or 4 different control consoles and maybe 5 necks without being too much bigger than a standard bass case... or am i getting a bit silly now :D

edit

or a control system that works for eveything - which i think i may have in my head - 6 contacts though :D

i think this would work well, just replace the blade switch you have with 3 mini switches and put a push/pull on it and you have something that would give most basic pickup permutations for any 1, 2 or 3 pickup neck section... or you could even add a second push/pull to have one tapping bridge, and one tapping neck/middle.. but i think the master coil tap for neck/bridge would be enough

wiringforchangeablenecks.png

could you not use a mini 6pin DIN connector and socket? or does it have to be that when you insert the core to the body it's all ready to play?

You may be able to mount a mini DIN plug in a recess on the end of the core and line it up with a mini DIN flush mounted socket on the body. It would all be hidden and if aligned correctly it would plug in easily enough.

I love that so many have taken an interest in this project. It will truly need some innovation to get the electronics to work properly. I currently have the pups wired directly to the output, which actually works fine for me at the moment, but the guitar is still in primer. School starts on Tuesday so I want to get cracking on this right away as I will be graduating this semester. I really wanted to cast the clear body and display both of them at my grad show, but after the chaos of last semester, im not sure im up to it... Ill see what I can get done in the first few weeks, but after that I really need to focus on school. Kind of disappointing really.

I will definitely be trying out a few of your suggestions on connecting the wiring though. Using a quick connect device like EMG uses would likely be too delicate and break after a few disconnections and reconnections are performed. I like the idea of using Pogo pins, since you dont have to insert them into anything in order to make a connection. The strip idea sounds good too, but will require quite a bit more research before I would feel capable of experimenting with that. If it didnt require modifying the body I might entertain the 3 mini toggle idea.

Thanks again for all of your ideas. I will update with pics as soon as I get this going again.

Edited by MuffinPunch

Wez, I just had another look at your last post. I must have been sleepy when I initially responded, because I didnt get the full meaning of what you were proposing. As an answer to future development of this product your idea sounds very feasible and frankly is a perfect fix for my original problem. That being the ability to offer different pickup configurations without having to alter the standard control setup. For use with 2 pickup configurations I would simply delete on of the mini toggles, and ignore the #3 contacts. I like it a lot, and I can see it being done by creating a module for both ends of the contacts and wiring them prior to final assembly. Sounds simple enough, unfortunately im still an amateur when it comes to wiring. :D Ill definitely keep it in mind as I develop this concept further.

Edited by MuffinPunch

• 3 months later...

Its been a long while since I posted anything on here. At least it seams to me that way. I finally finished school last Saturday so I have some time to spend doing "leisure" activities for a few weeks. Anyway, I finally finished the guitar for my senior show... I didnt ever end up getting in contact with a rep from HR Giger so I went with a simple solid gloss black finish. Im not completely satisfied with it just yet but its to a point where I can call it complete. The EMG-HZ7 pups really suck, but they do their job for the moment. I didnt get a chance to work out the trick wiring, so its not really "modular" right now, but thats all stuff I have time to work on now. This finish ad assembly were more for the sake of having a physical representation of my concept for the show. Here are some pix from the show: The lighting was horrible so Ill have to get some better shots this week.

IMG_4713.jpg

IMG_4714.jpg

IMG_4716.jpg

Edited by MuffinPunch

And a few more:

IMG_4718.jpg

IMG_4722.jpg

IMG_4726.jpg

Unfortunately, all of the process pics of the finish were lost when my phone was stolen last week. :D But the result turned out quite nice I think. It could use some finish wet sanding to remove a couple of little dust particles that found there way into the spray booth, and the fretboard needs a bit more love. Ill be working on that shortly.

I really like this. Maybe you should bring it up to Minnesota so it can get stollen by me :D . That sucks about your phone though.

Haha! There's a good possibility of that happening, though i will be in Minneapolis. Thanks for the compliment.

Nice, Minneapolis is still about four hours from me. I am about 60 miles from the Canadian border. It would be a fun trip though to come see this guitar and your idea for it.

I would put money on your idea being stolen and used commercially.

I would put money on your idea being stolen and used commercially.

i think EMG could do so - all the evidence they need to prove it belongs to them is in the photo :D

I would take that as a compliment then sue tier pants off! I've got enough eye witnesses as school who are heavy players in the design industry that would back me up. :D

Steve, nice build.

cool to see it get finished , its a shame it wasn't in the timeframe of your classes, but what can you do ?

as far as 'rights' or lawsuits , you using EMG logo's and brand name with no permission is more of a legal infringement than anything else. :D

For 'interchangeable' guitars already on the market click here tho : http://www.rksguitars.com/

or here: http://www.ricktoone.com/2008/12/interchan...ass-bodies.html

or these,one of which is patented back in 1997 and good till 2015........

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5637823/description.html

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5252777.html

a quick google will reveal a lot......

as far as the core to body wiring, a ribbon cable would be a decent solution. PCB's for the body and neck and you'd be in there.....

Steve, nice build.

cool to see it get finished , its a shame it wasn't in the timeframe of your classes, but what can you do ?

as far as 'rights' or lawsuits , you using EMG logo's and brand name with no permission is more of a legal infringement than anything else. :D

For 'interchangeable' guitars already on the market click here tho : http://www.rksguitars.com/

or here: http://www.ricktoone.com/2008/12/interchan...ass-bodies.html

or these,one of which is patented back in 1997 and good till 2015........

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5637823/description.html

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5252777.html

a quick google will reveal a lot......

as far as the core to body wiring, a ribbon cable would be a decent solution. PCB's for the body and neck and you'd be in there.....

As always, thanks for your concern and advice. The links you posted are pretty cool, tho I fail to see the relevance of the two patents you included as they are about as similar to my guitar as a bolt-on SG is to a Strat IMO.

As far as "using EMG's logo and brand name with no permission", I got in contact with EMG prior to selecting pickups in hopes that they would "sponsor" my education by donating a set of pups and notified them I would be "branding" my project as an EMG, so they are aware of it and have no qualms. Unfortunately, and as expected, they weren't able to help out any.

On another note, its standard practice in design school to choose a brand for any project prior to development and there's no requirement to obtain permission from the company. This is a well known procedure. Besides, Its not like Ill be marketing and selling this guitar as an EMG product. If I decide to further develop this idea in the future, I will not restrict it to only fit EMGs, nor will I only make 7 string guitars.

I still realize the "interchangeable" guitar has been done before, this project is just another way to do it. You may have noticed that there are many ways to reach the same goal... Thanks for the compliments bruva!

Hey man, sweet guitar!

I think if you read my post without being defensive, you'd see that I was pointing out that;

A: its already a commercially available product

and B: the technology is being used by a few other people, it might help to look at their methods and see if any of it helps you form a solution to your own issues.

Not knocking yours down, just commenting on my view of the legalities of the situation and the fact that you don't have to tread unknown waters if you look at the map. Others have worked on this. switchable bodies are out there , switchable pups too.

EMG owns the 'quick connect' . whats left?

Hey, for a thread that started off as a SHRG7 but changed mid-stream, it still ended up like a nice, one-off Ibanez. The finish is beautiful and if it plays like it looks, you got a winner. :D

Hey man, sweet guitar!

I think if you read my post without being defensive, you'd see that I was pointing out that;

A: its already a commercially available product

and B: the technology is being used by a few other people, it might help to look at their methods and see if any of it helps you form a solution to your own issues.

Not knocking yours down, just commenting on my view of the legalities of the situation and the fact that you don't have to tread unknown waters if you look at the map. Others have worked on this. switchable bodies are out there , switchable pups too.

EMG owns the 'quick connect' . whats left?

Hey, for a thread that started off as a SHRG7 but changed mid-stream, it still ended up like a nice, one-off Ibanez. The finish is beautiful and if it plays like it looks, you got a winner. :D

Sorry if I came off defensive. You can understand why I might have assumed you were attacking me given our "history". I appreciate it all the same. I've been taught not only how to look at all aspects of design with a critical eye, but also to defend my designs when others do the same to my work. I see what you mean though. I'll have to go back and check those links with an open mind and see what goodies I can take away from them. Thanks man.